ICE - CD skipping - smokie
Daughter's Fiesta has an MP3 CD player, the slot kind.

She complains that it skips a lot, on pre-recorded and home made CDs.

The head unit is mounted in the usual place and as far as I can see there is no external shock absorbing material.

She's just asked for a new one for Xmas. As far as I'm concerned the old one isn't that old and will do. Is there something I can do do dampen it? Is a new one likely to suffer the same?
ICE - CD skipping - Adam {P}
On all the stereos I've seen fitted, not one has had any dampening by the unit itself.

Interesting this has come up actually because for weeks my cd changer has been skipping when going even over speed bumps. I opened the boot for the first time in a while last night and noticed the changer had worked loose and was bouncing around all over the place.

Of course, that doesn't help you at all and it isn't really that interesting but I like babbling inanely.

With regards to Miss Smokie's problem - I've no idea. Could it be a unit fault in general? I thought the only difference between "proper" cds and home made was the way the dye was burnt or something. I can't possibly see how bumps would affect that. Clearly the unit is dampened enough if it doesn't skip normal cds when going over bumps.

I'm willing a substantial amount of money that I'm wrong though.
ICE - CD skipping - Altea Ego
Run a cd cleaner disk through it.
ICE - CD skipping - Adam {P}
Tell you what I'd do, I'd run a cd cleaner disk through it.

That'll sort it out.
ICE - CD skipping - smokie
Shall I run a cleaner disk through it?

Oh allright then...
ICE - CD skipping - pmh
Why bother with MP3 Cds anymore when you go solid state.....

"Now you can play your favourite MP3;s and WMA digital music formats in your car. This great new product accepts a SDRAM memory card or a USB memory stick. Allowing you to copy music from your PC or Laptop and play on this car radio."

www.drgadget.co.uk/product.php?xProd=759&xSec=1

I am sure several other people are making them, this is the first I could find.

Also Maplin are doing a radio with integrated Bluetooth to allow handsfree te use. I am sure that either bluetooth SD cards / car readers will not be far behind. Bluetooth IPOD adaptors are another alternative.

Looks like an expensive xmas!

--

pmh (was peter)