Pollen filters necessary? - wemyss
Just serviced the Vectra and replaced the pollen filter. Cost over £10.00 and as usual thought what am I changing this for and why not just throw the old one away and leave the box empty.
Obviously an important piece of kit for people who suffer from pollen but for the fortunate ones who don't what is the point.
The heater or cold air would come through unrestricted and obviously be more efficient.
Seem to remember Vauxhall were the first to install these.
Does anyone leave them out?.
Pollen filters necessary? - henry k
The heater or cold air would come through unrestricted and obviously be more efficient. Does anyone leave them out?.

>>
I do miss leaves fluttering around inside the dashboard vents and later breaking up and launching themselves at my face when I had the blower on a high setting. Or wasting time trying to extract leaves before they are ejected into the cabin.

Pollen filters may be the sales pitch but I consider them crud catchers.
I have not answered your question but I think they are a well worth addition to the modern vehicle.
Pollen filters necessary? - L'escargot
The inside of the windscreen seems to stay cleaner longer in cars that have pollen filters.
--
L\'escargot.
Pollen filters necessary? - Adam {P}
I haven't had the pollen filter changed once on my car.

Of course, it's now infested. But i'm sure that's completely unrelated.
Pollen filters necessary? - BazzaBear {P}
Find No Dosh's thread about getting an iron filing fired into his eye via a car heater with no pollen filter, should answer the question.
Also, I replaced the pollen filter on my car when I got it. If you saw the amount of crud attached to the old one, I doubt you'd want to know that was making its way into the car instead.
Pollen filters necessary? - MW
Once you replace them. its amazing how much more air comes through. In my old Passat about double.
Pollen filters necessary? - madf
Just replace the one in my Fiesta. A Fram one costs around £9 as opposed to Ford iirc £12. Last one was 8k miles old and full of carp. As we live edge of country: straw on roads, tractors pulling hay, loads of leaves plus grass pollen, beech and tree pollen (! beech yeuch), it clogs up quickly.

Did not notice any difference changing it: but wife has not sneezed when entering car as she used to (aircon run 24/7/12).

madf
Pollen filters necessary? - Falkirk Bairn
Just replace the one in my Fiesta. A Fram one costs
around £9 as opposed to Ford iirc £12. Last one was
8k miles old and full of carp. As we live edge
of country: straw on roads, tractors pulling hay, loads of leaves
plus grass pollen, beech and tree pollen (! beech yeuch), it
clogs up quickly.
Did not notice any difference changing it: but wife has not
sneezed when entering car as she used to (aircon run 24/7/12).
madf

Last one was >> 8k miles old and full of carp.

Where did he get the fish from?
or is that another Tail (tale???)
Pollen filters necessary? - Onetap
"Does anyone leave them out?"

Yes, idiots do regularly.

The AC cooling coil fins are closely packed do a fairly good job of stopping the crud. It's just not as easy to remove, replace or clean it when it gets fouled up. I've seen the insides of a few commercial ventilation systems on which the filters had been omitted or neglected. These looked like they'd had a large compost heap spread out along the bottom of the ducts. Filter changes are relatively cheap, relative to the costs of cleaning.
Pollen filters necessary? - J Bonington Jagworth
I'd like to replace mine, but I haven't actually found it yet! The Haynes is no help and its location isn't obvious (to me, anyway). Car is an '89 Audi 90 and the change is probably about a decade overdue...
Pollen filters necessary? - Dynamic Dave
I'd like to replace mine, but I haven't actually found it
yet! Car is an '89 Audi 90

Are you sure it has one?
They're not strictly necessary, but they are certainly highly desirable.
--
L\'escargot.
Pollen filters necessary? - Stuartli
>>Are you sure it has one?>>

Used car ad found on website link:

1989 G reg AUDI 90 94000 miles Manual Petrol Long MOT. ... Petrol 2.0 litre very good on fuel just had a FULL service including pollen filters and oile air ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Pollen filters necessary? - Dynamic Dave
The puravent website lists the Audi 90 from 1993 onwards, and even they don't actually know where it is.
Pollen filters necessary? - J Bonington Jagworth
"even they don't actually know where it is"

That's comforting!

WRT whether it has one at all, I do recall hearing about it, and it aquares with the gradual fall-off in air flow over the years. I just turn the fan up, but I can well imagine the difference a new filter might make!
Used car ad found on website link:
1989 G reg AUDI 90 94000 miles Manual Petrol Long MOT.
... Petrol 2.0 litre very good on fuel just had a
FULL service including pollen filters and oile air ...

Some people will say anything to try to sell a car!
--
L\'escargot.
Pollen filters necessary? - kithmo
>> I'd like to replace mine, but I haven't actually found
it
>> yet! Car is an '89 Audi 90
Are you sure it has one?

Probably not if it's not blocked up in a decade.
Pollen filters necessary? - SjB {P}
Together with the Air Quality System on my V70, I find the pollen filter fantastically effective; although I don't suffer with hay fever I do suffer from fine dust and smoke particles and this is the first car I have driven in which I don't sneeze. Heaven. Just leave it on 'Auto' and let it decide when to recirc or ingest fresh air based on contaminant payload, temperature, humidity, and so on.

As others have commented; when I removed the original one after 12 months, I was amazed (a) how dirty the outside face was and (b) what was wedged in it!