Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - two-one-four
I just had my cambelt break on a 1997 Rover 214 and damage the engine valves (and possibly pistons).

Does anyone know how much this SHOULD cost to get replaced, and what work i should get done?

Any breakdown of how the cost is worked out/what work is required would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - blue_haddock
A full top end strip down and rebuild will almost certainly cost more than an 8 year old rover 214 is worth. If you are determined to keep the car it is probably cheaper to source another engine from a scrapyard but you do not know anything about the history of the engine then so maybe buying a reconditioned engine is a better bet.
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - David Horn
What milage did it go at? I have an MOT due tomorrow and the timing belt on my car (admittedly, actually a Citroen Xsara 1.9TD) is supposed to be changed at 80,000 miles. I'm on 77,000 right now and keep waking up in cold sweats. :P

Do the belts on the XUD engines ever break before their time?
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Belt might break during the criminally/mechanically irresponsible methods used to test a diesel engine for emissions. If it does break tester will not accept responsibility for damage SFAIK
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - Martin1981
The cambelt setup on the XUD engines is said to be robust and I don't think I've heard of an XUD engine breaking a belt before a change is due. I know that the Haynes Manual for the 306 1.9TD states that cambelt change intervals are 72k miles but is recommended that it is changed more frequently i.e. 36k miles to be on the safe side, especially if the vehicle has been used for a lot of stop/start town driving. The majority of my driving in my 1994 306TD is long distance motorway driving so I will go for a cambelt change about every 50k. I wouldn't wait until 72k in my opinion, even though that is the interval recommended by Peugeot/Citroen.Replacing a cambelt is cheaper than the cost of a new engine or a new car!

Regards
Martin
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - two-one-four
I am not determined to keep the car, infact quite the opposite, but I will have a better chance of getting rid of it if the car actually runs. So i was wondering if there is any way for me to reduce the price that i was quoted of £850 for the repair work.

I was told that i would need 16 new valves, pistons (i think), and some bolts (i also think)
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - blue_haddock
Yes you will need a new set of valves, possibly pistons, a new set of stretch bolts and quite a few gaskets. There are bound to be other bit's and bobs that need replacing too (oil seals etc).

I would be suprised if you cars is worth much more than £850 even when running so you may be best off selling it on ebay as spares or repair and then just looking for a new car yourself.
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - Crinkly Dave
there are several on-line services which can give you an estimated price for your car. I would do this before you go any further. You may find, no matter how distasteful, that it may be cheaper to write off the car and sell it for scrap than pay for it to be repaired and sell it as as a going concern.

Cheapest route is a secondhand head or engine from a scrappy, but you take the chance that the donor is scrapped for this reason, and your labour charges will not be returned if the unit is u/s
Broken cambelt & valve damage. Rover 214 - Civic8
Its a no win situation regarding repairs.Not knowing what is needed though pretty much new/recon unit,is needed.being the date is hardly worth the repair costs,dont go the scrap yard route.as a lot are scrapped for the same reason.if you had intentions of keeping the car maybe recon best way to go/as they are warranted,Just be carefull of whom you deal with
--
Steve