Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Oil spec - Blue {P}
Hi guys, just wondering if I'm definately doing the right thing here.

My Focus needs a bit of a top up from the looks of things, the dealerhsip said that the TDCi just uses the ordinary 5W30 oil, the same as is used in the petrol engines. I've already got a top-up bottle of this oil lying around from when I had my last petrol Fiesta.

Shall I just use that? Or is there some sort of special diesel version of the oil? I'm inclined to believe the dealership as I'm sure that if there were a different type of oil, they would have tried to sell me it. :-)

Blue
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Oil spec - jc
ford Formula "E" 5W/30 semi-synthetic is the recommended oil for both petrol and diesels.Read your handbook.
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Oil spec - Blue {P}
Thought as much, I just wasn't sure if what Ford recommend was what was best or not in this particular case, I always thought that diesels needed a different type of engine oil and that this was Ford's way of cutting costs by using a one spec suits all policy. I know in the past I've always noticed the likes of Castrol do seperate specs for diesel engines.

Off to top up tommorow then!

Blue
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Oil spec - jc
Old type diesel oils had detergent in to keep the products of combustion in suspension and they were made mainly for relatively slow revving truck engines.Now all oils have detergents in and car diesels run nearly as fast and as hot as gasoline ones.