2.2 dci recall related to Engine Managment System. - tyre tread
I've just received a letter recalling my 54 plate 2.2 dCi Primera for a "Concern related to the Engine Management System has been identified. This can lead to a lack of power, poor acceleration response, black smoke from the exhaust and/or whistling noise"

Anyone got any inside information on this.

Perhaps it will actually fix the only real complaint I have with the car: Poor fuel consumption!

Edited by Pugugly on 26/05/2008 at 14:48

Primera Recall - Dude - {P}
Sounds to me from those symptoms you describe, that there could be a problem with premature turbo failure.

There have been reports of this problem with Nissan X Trails, so it certainly could be a logical reason for the recalls.

Primera Recall - BobbyG
Is that the same 2.2dci that Renault use?
Primera Recall - macklane
Have just had my 05 plate 2.2dci Primera in to investigate poor fuel comsumption. Response was (as expected) "those government figures are for guidance only and Nissan doesn't consider poor fuel economy as a defect"

However, they carried out a modification which they quoted as a recall(P5231) which apparently changes the "boost sensor" or "turbo modulator" valve.

I am curious as to whether this was the recall referred to by "tyre tread", and did it improve his fuel economy?
Primera Recall - scott1s
I had the recall done and my consumption did improve a bit afterwards - as did performance. I will continue to monitor, but I have heard reports of throttle sensors being changed which have made a huge difference. Trouble is - how can it be proved that the one on the car is faulty.
I too am otherwise delighted with the car. The only consumption issue for me is round town as on a run it is fine.
Primera Recall - tyre tread
Ah Scott1s,

I see you also venture into the hallowed portals here as well as the NPOC.

I had the sensor changed under the recall but I have found that since the visit to the delars the engine seems less smooth than it was particularly on a balanced throttle when i can hear a metallic tinkling noise and I notice a lot of smoke under hard acceleration.

Consumption still not the best at an average of 43mpg over the 35K miles I've covered (mostly A14 on cruise at 75-80mph indicated) in the last 12 months.

Still a good bit of kit though and value for money it just can't be beaten.

36k service in 10 days tie - lets see what the dealer says about the smoke and noise.

Also noticed that this engine has a VERY noisy start up ince the weather got really cold. I don't remember it being this bad last year!
tyre tread & Scott1s

Do you have any more detail on the recall. I didn't get a letter; just got told about it by the dealer. Also intrigued by the throttle sensor recall. My consumption is averaging around 38mpg for the first 5000 miles, does it get better with age?

One of the things that impressed me on a test drive back in the summer 05, was how quiet the engine was for a diesel, and did not think about it until the first frosty morning before Xmas, when it rattled like a bag of spanners. It soon quietens down though.

Like you guys my only real complaint is the consumption, I had 2,2litre petrol Primeras before this one, and managed to get 36mpg over about 80k miles so was expecting better than 38mpg from a diesel.
Primera Recall - bell boy
have a look under the car and see if you can see any diesel spray on the floorpan, apparently the fuel pump is at the bottom of the engine and is"nt unknown to leak,so ive just read in a car mag.
Primera Recall - scott1s
yes I have noticed the 'bag o'nails' sydrome in the cold too. I just think it's a diesel thing as wifes A4 is the same
Primera Recall - tyre tread
Macklance. may I suggest that you register at www.npoc.co.uk (Nissan Primera Owners Club) and you'll find all the relevant discussion in the general forum.

Mods, i hope it's ok to place this referral but please delete and accept my apologies if not
Thanks for the referral "tyre tread".
I was already registered at NPOC but never thought to look there! My previous experience has been that to get to any technical discussion you needed payed up membership, which I don't have.
The conclusion from the information there seems to be that there must be loads of 2.2dCi owners running around not knowing that they might have this problem, which apparently came to light back in Sept/Oct.
I still haven't received the letter, but I suppose if there system is clever enough, they'll see that I've had the job done, and remove me from the circulation list.
Primera Recall - BAR
Hey

I've just found this forum and maybe someone can help me. I have just bought a 02 Primera Accenta 2.2dci and I haven't got it over 30MPG. I commute 50 miles a day to and from work (40miles of that is at average 65-70mph). What can I do? I have the car only a couple of weeks and the dealer I bought it from has only given me a warranty of 3 months engine and gearbox. My old 03 Volvo S40 averaged at 48MPG. Any guidance out there?

Primera Recall - Collos25
I ran an 04 2.2dci for 6 months and never got over 35 they are known to be guzzlers horrible outdated car handled like a brick on jelly.Watch out for the gear cable mounting bolted to the gearbox a cast aluminium plate they tend to crack and give poor gear changes I made a new one out of steel after Nissan told me the price some £60.
Primera Recall - v0n
I bet if you take your Primera for a spin on empty motorway at night, reset the mpg screen on computer and then set cruise control to 45 mph you will see it climbing to 55+ mpg and setting cruise speed anywhere over 60 mph will send the economy plummeting down raidly. 136 & 138 bhp dCi versions are generically mapped for 4x4 towing, basically for X-Trail. Even Almera 136 2.2 dCi can hardly achieve 40mpg. Same engine with 112 bhp mapping (IIRC used only in Almera and thus tailored to the car) easily does over 50 mpg.
In short, the answer would be remap, remap and once again, after market remap, not neccessarily to get more horse power, but just to change characteristics.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Primera Recall - fossyant
Hello to the NPOC lads !! It's me !

The latest model Primera handles really well to be honest, I haven't had any issues and thats from moving from an Alfa 147 Selespeed with upgraded alloys (and boy does that car handle).

The dCi fron Nissan isn't the best on fuel, but it's a damn site better than Renault's 'dCi' badged motor. The recall is a fairly common one and has been going on for a while - Scot highlighted it some months back on the NPOC forum. This (NPOC) is the best place for Primera info. Aprilia on here really knows his stuff on all Nissans and is a real good source of information.

I have my own reservations about the new common rail diesels - too many high expense failures on many makes of cars.
Primera Recall - ellingt
'Almera 136 2.2 dCi can hardly achieve 40mpg.'
Rubbish,

I've had my 03 136 for over two years and I do 100 cross country miles each working day (A361 to Swindon) and I'm currently averaging 52.8mpg, the best I've seen over several days was 56.8 and the worst was about 51. fuel variations do play a big part, for eaxmple, Shell Vpower will give me over 54mpg buit the cost differential isn't worth it. On a motorway drive down the whole M40 gave me 64mpg. The most I have ever had out of a tank is 680miles though 600 - 630 is more typical.
Primera Recall - Bar
ENGINE TROUBLE!
Hi all. Recently my 2.2D Primera has been idling at low rev and I can feel a lot of vibration through the seat. When I turn on the air con and the revs increase a tiny bit, the vibration is gone. Pulling off in 1st & 2nd, there is a worrying rumbling, kind of deep resonating sound coming from the engine. Brought it to the main dealer and one mechanic took it out and said it was fine, another mechanic took it out and said he thought it was misfiring and then they hooked it up to the computer and said that they couldn't get into it. Service manager said possible ECU, possible huge expense to find the problem, etc, etc, BS. Turbo is working, still quite responsive, but I'm just nursing it along over the last few days. Exhaust is fine, replaced air filter and cleaned air flow meter but had no effect. I'm worried about gearbox/transmission. Ring any bells with anyone?
Primera Recall - n16 sxey
I've got an Almera SXE Dci 136 and haveb just had all the recall work done and its not made a slightest bit of difference to the fuel economy of my car I still struggle to get 40mpg. I used to have a Volvo V70 2.5tdi and I could easliy get 50+mpg on the open road. So does any one have any more answers what might be wrong with it.

Thanks
Primera Recall - Lee Oades

I've also just bought an Almera 136 2.2 dci, and I've been getting around 43mpg average.

I'd love to know how you are getting 52 !
I'm making a run to Sheffield at the end of the month so we'll see how it gets on then.

Just read this stuff about the recal - is there any way to tell if the work has been done - as I said I've only just bought the car and have 2 months left?
Primera Recall - mystical
I also have a Nissan Almera 2.2 dCi 136 (2003) but upon mentioning the recall to my dealer they simply refuse to agree that there is any work to be carried out.

Is there anything in particular I need to mention to them in order for them to carry out the work? Perhaps a print out of the bulletin if any one has it please?

Thanks
2.2 dci recall related to Engine Managment System. - trevorfoggia

Dear Pugugly,

I read your message with great discomfprt tomyself.

Can I have more info on that recall if you can remember. My p12 56 reg Primera is having the exact same problems as yours could have been doing in 2005.

Nissan are reluctant to help me and I really dont know what to do.

Any information you have will be a big big help.

Many Thanks

2.2 dci recall related to Engine Managment System. - trevorfoggia

DOH!!!

The car is a 2004 54 Plate!

Anyone with information, please help!!!