Focus gear ratios - AlanGowdy
A query for any Ford experts out there.

What is the correct fifth gear mph/1000 rpm figure for the C-Max with a 1.8 petrol engine? On my wife's example it is around 20, which seems a tad low to me. I'd have expected something closer to 25.
Focus gear ratios - mfarrow
Based on stated gear ratios for the Focus, I got it as 24.3 mph/1000rpm. This isn't accounting for tyre deformation.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Thanks, Mike - that's about what I think it should be. I wonder if it's been fitted with the wrong final drive? I must investigate further!
Well according to the Ford TIS CD the same final drive ratio (for the Focus) is fitted to the 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 petrol engines. This is an '02 CD though so may be a little out of date.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Odd! My wife's Focus C-Max - the object of this query - was bought recently to replace a 51-reg Focus estate. I'm sure that car (which was also a 1.8 petrol version) was doing around 2500 rpm at 60 mph in fifth gear, whereas the C-Max is doing 3000 rpm at that speed. The difference is just enough to transform the car's mechanical nature from quite relaxed to a shade "busy".

Have Ford deemed it necessary to lower the gearing to make up for performance reductions that might otherwise have resulted from the larger bodyshell?

I believe HJ has a C-Max. Might he have an opinion on this? If so, I'd be interested in his view.
Focus gear ratios - Adam {P}
Alan,

My Focus (presumably the same engine as in the C-Max) does 3000 on the nose at 70mph.
I'm beginning to smell a rat!
Focus gear ratios - Ben79
Are you sure your speedo is accurate? Remember that rev counters can tell lies too!
It's a new car so I hope so. I think a visit to the supplying dealer may prove necessary to find out.
For the Focus:

Transaxle ratios

5th gear: 0.756
Final drive: 4.059

If the dealer gives you numbers higher than those then I'm afraid you've got the right gearbox!

Do you know anyone with PDA GPS to test your road speed accuracy? Should find it's within 3-4 mph. Alternatively go into the self-diagnostic mode to test the gauges: Hold down the tripometer reset button and turn the ignition switch to position II or III (from 0). Release the tripometer reset button when TEST is displayed. Keep pressing the test button to go through the various diagnostics. One of them (format XXX.X) is the road speed (mph), and one is the engine speed in rpm (format XXXX).

--------------
Mike Farrow
Focus gear ratios - L'escargot
Alternatively
go into the self-diagnostic mode to test the gauges: Hold
down the tripometer reset button and turn the ignition switch to
position II or III (from 0). Release the tripometer reset button
when TEST is displayed. Keep pressing the test button to
go through the various diagnostics. One of them (format XXX.X)
is the road speed (mph), and one is the engine speed
in rpm (format XXXX).

Interesting. How do you get out of the self-diagnostic mode?
--
L\'escargot.
How do you get out of the self-diagnostic mode?

Switch off the ignition.

One thing I forgot to mention, the diagnostic will reset the tripometer, for those who measure fuel economy by it.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Focus gear ratios - Roberson
Remember that rev counters>> can tell lies too!

This is the most likely. My mates dad has a 99 Mondeo (not the same car, I know!) and his rev counter isn't all that accurate. IIRC It says the engine idles faster than it actually does.