Pug 406 (2.0 16v Petrol) Engine Problem - GICarey
Hi Folks,

Heading home last night, was doing a 90 mile journey at between 45 and 80mph (the lower end being fog induced), at about 4 miles from my exit from the M1, 5 miles from home, the car started to feel "lumpy", I was moving at aroung 60 when this happened, and the engine would continue to hold me at that speed, but not comfortably.

30 seconds or so after this became noticable, the yellow engine light (which, according to the handbook has a symbol in it, but mine doesn't, is just a yellow outline, but sure the same thing) which handbook says is " [Engine Auto-Diagnostic], might be a problem with your injectors, ignition system or emmisions control system - get it sorted our you'll mess up the cat" (or words to that effect).

Pulled over onto the hard shoulder, got out, but it was pitch black, nothing to see, engine sounded "not right" (again, lumpy is best i can come up with).

Waverd on switching off and calling the breakdown folks, but as it was still running, decided to push on up the hard shoulder to the exit, home and sleep.

Upon pulling up on the driveway, i had a look under the light of next doors security device, exhaust looked smokey, but hard to say for sure, but smelt awful (hard to describe, slightly acidic? possibly oily?), as, it turns out, so does the inside of the car now (and, i am assured by the misses, upon climbing into bed, did I!).

This morning, popped the bonnet, nothing of any interest to see. (at least to my untrained eye). It's sunday so it'll have to wait to be seen by a garage tomorrow (annoying getting a shoulder op on Tuesday, so garage will have to keep it for a while / deliver it home to me @ some point! but, on the plus side, i wont be in a state to drive for a month or so anyway...)

I haven't restarted it, though i intend to drive it round to the garage (2 miles ish away) tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, i've now been directed to tesco.com to do the shopping online as i cant drive the misses to the supermarket, and she's gone off in a huff to do gardening!

Any suggestions as to what may be the cause of the problem? anything I can do to investigate? Likely cost of correction?

Many thanks!

Gavin.
Pug 406 (2.0 16v Petrol) Engine Problem - Bill Payer
Is it fitted with the HPi engine (and I do mean HPi, I'm not confusing it with the diesel HDi!).

If it is, I had similar symptoms that the dealer could never (over an 18mth period) fix permanently - mine was a company car and eventually the leasing company took it back. Peugeot and Citroen fitted the HPi engine for a couple of years (my car was Y reg) and then dropped it.
On the positive side, the car never actually broke down - I probably did 40,000 miles with the emissions warning light on.
It's a T-Reg 2.0 16v "Executive" (late '99, so post face-lift, 20,000 mile services), non HPi engine I believe, not certain though (definitely doesnt say HPi on it anywhere).

I spent a little time reading the archives, and recall reading your post, sounds similar but not quite the same? I definitely couldn't do a long journey with the "lumpiness" provided when driving, and did your car give off a nasty exhaust smell? mines awful (reminds me, must go close it up before it gets dark!)

Cheers,

Gav.
Gave in to my curiosity and went to start it again.

Initially it wouldnt turn over, just clonking, bit odd, but then, was foggy yesterday, so had fog lights on etc, possibly battery is a bit low. After a couple of turns, it began happily turning over, but not starting, again, not normal, but blipping the throttle got it running, roughly.

very roughly.

there is indeed smoke out of the back, it's grey, and smelly, i think i detected petrol in there (this likely to have screwed the cat?), the smell reminded me a little of my jet-skiing days, so that might mean there is oil in there (they're pre-mix 2 stroke, or were), but possibly not.

So? what do you reckon? injection system up-t-spout?

After my little play, the misses had me unblock the drains, so i'm now stinking and off for a bath!

All advice / info gratefully received!

Gavin.
Hi Folks,

Well, thought I ought to close this thread up, for future reference for anyone with a similar problem.

After jacking it into their diagnostic kit, the main dealer stuck a new coil-pack & spark plugs on the 406, which didn't solve the problem.

After this, they decided it was injector failure, took one off another car, which solved the problem, so they ordered and fitted a new one, I got the car back after a month (i had an op on my shoulder so couldnt drive) and it drove exactly as before for a month, until last night, when a new (more serious?) problem has occured. I'll post another thread about this one.

Cheers,

Gav.