36" W'Screen Flat Panel Conventional TV - Altea Ego
36" tubes?

There are no manufacturing plants making 36" and above tubes. all have moved to plasma / lcd ( all moving to LCD as we speak)

(sony is shutting the wlesh tube plant)

he really really does not want to fork out this amount of money on old technology.
36" W'Screen Flat Panel Conventional TV - Stuartli
>?this amount of money on old technology>>

Not that old - at least not for the moment...:-)). See:

tinyurl.com/9mtao

In addition I've seen both CRT and plasma sets with this Philips technology:

www.bowersandwilkins.co.uk/products/crt.htm

Quite superb.

..Dynamic Dave

You can still get the larger screens from Sony and others:

tinyurl.com/ahn2a

32in Freeview integrated digital set included in details at £745.

Some of the Toshiba projection sets provide surprisingly good pictures compared to similar sets of the past. 43in example:

tinyurl.com/exjdg

36in screen sets reviews:

www.reviewcentre.com/products3329.html

LG Philips is bringing out new CRT tube designs up to 32in in the not too distant future:

www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=152518

New Thomson 36in CRT set review:

www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2174

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
36" W'Screen Flat Panel Conventional TV - Altea Ego
Yes stuartli, that all confimrs what i said, manufacturers are pulling out of making 36" and above CRTs

36" W'Screen Flat Panel Conventional TV - Stuartli
>>manufacturers are pulling out of making 36">>

I didn't actually disagree - I merely pointed out that they could still be obtained.

My best mate runs an independent audio/visual/appliance retail outlet and still sells quite a large number of CRT sets.

That also goes for VCRs which are still snapped up by customers - the reason Dixons or whoever it was gave up on them was the fact that profit margins were getting too small.

I've a friend who lives on Anglesey and he recently acquired a superb Sony 32in LCD with home theatre sound - the set itself was about £1,300. If I could have sneaked it into the Bora without anyone noticing...

Further, another close pal has a 42in plasma (a Philips with the Pixel Plus feature) and, again, superb picture.

To top that, my club has a Toshiba digital projection setup with a 6ft wide screen; the picture quality, including very accurate flesh tones, is staggering considering the size of the display and is especially good for football.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
36" W'Screen Flat Panel Conventional TV - BazzaBear {P}
36" tubes?
There are no manufacturing plants making 36" and above tubes. all
have moved to plasma / lcd ( all moving to LCD
as we speak)
(sony is shutting the wlesh tube plant)
he really really does not want to fork out this amount
of money on old technology.

I'd rather spend the money on a CRT which will be far cheaper, and if you get a good one have a far better quality picture, than the equivalent LCD or Plasma. As far as I see it, the only advantage this new technology has at the moment is size/weight. They still haven't achieved the quality of CRT.
Of course, if you're correct about the tubes, then that's academic.
36" W'Screen Flat Panel Conventional TV - big_chrisser
Thanks everyone.

Space isn't really an issue, as my Dad's sitting room is huge, and he struggles to fill it with furniture, let alone stuff with a plug attached.

After ringing round a few places, I found a few 36" for around the £700 mark, but i would agree with RF that this is a lot to spend on "old technology", despite CRTs being at the pinacle, when an extra £500 or so would buy what i would consider to be a perfectly suitable LCD.

So after much thinking, I had a look at a friends Makro catalogue, and they are selling 32" 100 Hz Samsungs for 350 inc. VAT, so my dad has decided to sink his cash into one of these for 3-4 years, and then presumably by something a bit slimmer.

Not quite what he was after in OP, but a good deal is a good deal.