X Reg Corsa Starting Probs - holly1
Had a few probs starting my car this morning, hoping someone here can shed some light on it.

Normally I just turn the key, don?t need any gas, and it starts first time, never experience any problems. On a coldish morning like today the revs usually go up to about 1500 and stay there for a minute or so and then drop down to around the 900 - 1000 mark where they stay whenever the car is idle. However, today was different ?..

Turned the key and the car started but was so rough it died only a few moments later. Tried 3 more times but it refused to kick into life, sounded like the starter was about to spin but it didn?t, made a horrible whining and died. (I know very little about cars but I use this description because I once drove an old Mini which had starter problems and it sounded just like this).

On the fourth attempt I gave it a bit of gas and the car started but as soon as I released the gas it began to splutter so I put my foot back again and kept the revs at around 1500. Sat there for no more than 20 - 30 seconds and then attempted to leave my driveway. Thought the car would die again as soon as I stopped, but it didn?t. By the time I got around the corner it sounded great. In fact I got all the way to work and experienced no more problems.

So, what should I check first, battery, starter, auto choke or something else? Hate taking car to a garage when I haven?t a clue what the fault is!!

Thanks

p.s. its an x reg 1.2 16v corsa
X Reg Corsa Starting Probs - Dynamic Dave
I take it the ECU light didn't come on?

Sounds maybe like a damp problem. If the HT leads are accessable (can't remember when Vauxhall decided to bury them under engine covers) then a spray of WD-40 on them *might* do the trick.

When was it last serviced?
No it didnt, I was actually waiting for it to light up and stay lit.

Think the HT leads are buried under the engine cover, have to check. Its due for a service within the next month so will try to get it booked in sooner or later.

Someone in work suggested it could be a faulty heat sensor located on/near the exhaust, possibly sending the wrong signal resulting in the auto choke not kicking in. Does that sound feasible? Don't have a clue myself although trying to start my Corsa was a bit like starting my Mini with the choke stuck in the off position.
X Reg Corsa Starting Probs - John S
Holly

Did you by any chance start the car and run it for only a short while sometime before this problem?

Doing this often causes the effects you describe - the ECU gets stuck in a 'half way' mode and needs, as you found, plenty of throttle to get it started when it happens. Once the car's started and warmed it will be OK. .

My Corsa did it once or twice.

JS
JS

Sounds about right, probably realised it was Monday morning so ECU had a bit of a lie in. I had been using the car all week to/from work, but parked it up on Friday night and didnt use it again until Monday - although thats not unusual.

Hope to get it serviced once I have been paid at the end of the month so just keep my eye on it until then.

Holly