Jazz SE or Sport? - pettaw
My folks want a new smaller car to go with our Volvo V40 and went round a Toyota dealer to look at a Yaris and a Honda dealer to look at a Jazz. They were very impressed by the interior versatility of the Jazz, so they went out for test drive in it, and given they wanted an auto, a blessing in London traffic, it was the 1.4 SE CVT version they test drove.

They were impressed with the CVT auto, but found the handling 'not quite as positive' as the V40. Given that they want a CVT, and frankly getting a deal at a Honda dealer has zero chance (they were offered a measly 300 quid off the price for a pre-registered) I'm wondering whether the Sport version is any better/different in the handling department. AFAIK it also has slightly better options like intermittent rear wiper :o and climate control, for only 500 quid more if you go for the CVT.

Does anybody have any experience of the revised models and differences between the SE and the Sport, and why does the sport have an intermittent rear wiper and the SE only have the continuous wiper option, and is Sat-Nav worth it at nearly 2000 extra.
Jazz SE or Sport? - Flying Red
We tried out a Jazz Sport CVT and a SE manual recently. We preferred the interior trim colour of the Sport (charcoal vs. blue/grey) and thought the Sport looked better with the front fog lights and side skirts so on balance would go for the Sport.
Jazz SE or Sport? - lughole
We're after a new Jazz at the moment, and are unsure about the SE/Sport choice. The differences seem to be mainly cosmetic and/or toy related (unless I've missed something)- the basic vehicle seems to be pretty much the same. It's a grand less for the SE, however.

Also, Honda dealers seem to be fairly haggle-resistant, unfortunately- anyone know different?
Jazz SE or Sport? - lughole
That makes sense. Agreed on resale values too; and there's a fair selection of used ones around now (had a look last year and there didn't seem to be many).

Jazz SE or Sport? - Martin Wall
Best price I can see on an SE CVT is £700 off at car broker: www.drivethedeal.co.uk/

Try getting dealer to match that.
> We tried out a Jazz Sport CVT and a SE manual recently. We preferred the interior trim colour of the Sport (charcoal vs. blue/grey) and thought the Sport looked better with the front fog lights and side skirts so on balance would go for the Sport.

So did you notice any difference in the suspension etc of the Sport, did it feel any different on the road, or much the same?

I reckon the dealer won't discount the price, although we MIGHT be able to haggle a couple of extras? Like floor mats??
Jazz SE or Sport? - nortones2
Can usually get £500 off: but you need to do your homework first, and be prepared to walk. They know when you have an alternative in mind. Be as hard-nosed as they are.
Absolutely no difference in the suspension - it felt no different on the road (we did the same test route in both). It's only sporty in appearance (IMO).
Jazz SE or Sport? - Bill Payer
Absolutely no difference in the suspension - it felt no different
on the road (we did the same test route in both).
It's only sporty in appearance (IMO).

That's correct - they even have the same wheel/tyre combination now (SE used to have smaller wheels).
We have 53 reg SE (so with 14" wheels) and I recently drove a brand new SE (with 15" wheels) - I was impressed by the ride compared to ours.
What I was less impressed by was the very garish (in my opinion) silver radio built into the dash - reminded me of old fashioned Amstrad setup.

There's very little spec difference - however the lack of an intermittant setting on the SE's rear wiper (on both ours and the new model) is just absurd.
Jazz SE or Sport? - HectorG
Bought a Jazz SE CVT last January. Got the equivalent of £400 off by way of a 'free' sunroof. This was only achieved as the car was ordered just before Christmas and the dealer had end-of- year targets to meet.

Re: SE v Sport - don't think sport is worth the extra as mainly cosmetic.

Very pleased with the car and CVT is excellent.

HectorG
Well, my parents test drove an SE last weekend, and I got to drive it today. I have to say its the least inspiring car I've ever driven, not that I've driven that many. It was very smooth and manoueverable, and the CVT is fantastic, but there was absolutely no feel in the steering whatsoever, I didn't get any sense of the road at all. However, my Mum thinks its great, she doesn't care about steering feel, all she knows is it feels very light. Didn't get a chance to try a sport out, but its different to drive at all.

With respect Pettaw, I don't think you're looking at the car in the right way. The Jazz is not designed to offer driver appeal. It's a safe, Tardis-like, small hatch that offers reliability and pretty solid residuals.

It's obviously going to appeal to those who value quality and reliability at a relatively modest outlay, with low running costs.

We tried it and thought it quite cute and appealing. I also drove the '06 Forester X plus (normally aspirated) and found it quite bland and pointless - most of the time the Jazz would be a nicer car to use.
Jazz SE or Sport? - Avant
Quite right Flying Red - it depends on your priorities. A Yaris is a lot more fun to drive (as long as you get the 1.3 or 1.5), a Jazz bigger, more spacious and more versatile.

As you get older you appreciate light steering more. Pettaw's parents may see things differently from him/her - and they're the ones paying the bill!

Pettaw - you need to save for a Yaris or a Ka - you'd enjoy either.
Jazz SE or Sport? - Bill Payer
Agree with Flying Red's comments.

To pettaw, I'd say it's not so much lacking in feel, I think the problem is that it's excessively assisted. Most small cars with elec power steering are the same - I don't think the assistance is variable with speed as it would be on most bigger cars so what's light at parking speeds becomes ridiculous at higher speeds. Daughter's Ibiza almost winds lock on itself, especially on tight turns. I gather on VAG cars it can be adjusted on a 1-6 scale - and some Fiats have a City button which makes the steering stupidly light.
You're right, boot space etc etc is more important to my Mum, and its her who's paying for it.

I have a well paying job so I COULD actually go out and buy a Jazz/Yaris straight away, if I wanted to, but I wouldn't. I've tried to convince my parents to try the Yaris, but it was dismissed out of hand straight away because 'you can't even fit a sack of potatoes in the boot';-)

Bill Payer's explanation sounds very plausible, our V40 has plenty of feel, but is more heavy to park etc.
Jazz SE or Sport? - henry k
You're right, boot space etc etc is more important to my Mum, and its her who's paying for it.

>>I've tried to convince my parents to try the Yaris, but it was dismissed out of hand straight away because 'you can't even fit a sack of potatoes in the boot';-)

I agree with the small boot but I assume they were aware that the rear seat slides forward to enlarge the boot.