Is underseal a good idea? - tyro
or, to put it another way, under what circumstances is it a good idea to have one's car undersealed or waxoyled - and when is it a waste of money? Should we all be doing it?
Is underseal a good idea? - Dynamic Dave
Underseal in high impact areas, such as wheel arches. The underseal is quite rubbery and *should* take almost anything that is thrown at it.

Waxoyl (or any other cavity wax) is best used in hidden areas, such as inside door panels, sills, and all the other box sections. No good in wheel arches as it will eventually just get washed away. It is however good at revitalising old underseal that has gone hard and starting to crack as it softens it up again. In other words, waxoyl on it's own is useless, but used in conjunction with underseal in impact areas, it's great.
Is underseal a good idea? - Collos25
If a car has had body damage and new panels have been fitted a lot of body shops do not coat the underside of new wings or sills.But brushing on black underseal is not much good never was and I do not think it ever will be.
Is underseal a good idea? - steveo30
i think cavity wax/waxoil is a good idea if your car is rust free and you intend to keep it that way

im not convinced cavity waxes stop or slow existing rust much

as for under seal...i try to use it where i hae to, fr example if you just plaster the whole underside with sealant, it can actually hide rot until its too late, ive recently found my vw has such thick sealant on it , that the metal has to be quiet rotten before any tell tale signs can be seen..what im getting at is dont just hide rust
So, to sum up, if I understand what people are saying, underseal is not something that many people will need, but if I have a car a few years old in good condition, an annual coat of waxoyl in the right places might well extend its useful life.
Is underseal a good idea? - defender
tyro in the highlands the amount of salt on the roads is a major factor has to be considered ,a good wash and a blast of underseal /waxoil in the right places will help preservation by keeping the salt out
Thanks defender

I did have a feeling that if people anywhere needed help against rust, I had to be one of them!
Is underseal a good idea? - nick
I'd use dinitrol 3125 rather than waxoyl. Waxoyl doesn't penetrate very well and Dinitrol came out tops in a Practical Classics test. Much dearer than waxoyl though. Cheapest place I've found is www.rust.co.uk
Is underseal a good idea? - frazerjp
I read on a previous post on here, that its adviced to apply underseal/waxoyl etc onto the ford ka as they're not totally rust proof, i applied some in spring & im going to apply some more later today.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)