Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - Antony
Hello,
It looks like part of my alternator is not functioning properly, but I may need to replace the whole part. Since my car is now quite old (13 years), will a reconditioned alternator be sufficient? If so, will a garage even fit one or will I have to buy new? Any advice much appreciated (probably going to ring my local garage tomorrow to have it looked at).
Thanks,
Antony
Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - Civic8
Usually service exchange,ie they need your old one back to recondition.But yes a recon will be as good as new,garage should have no problems.
--
Steve
Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - Ian D
Recon alternators are fine, from German and Swedish they are typically £60 to £85 + VAT exchange(+ fitting.)

Note that if your only problem is the red charge light coming on, this is almost certainly just the regulator (the combined diodepack and brush assembly) which costs for the part £10 + VAT for a Bosch alternatr and £20 + VAT for a Valeo one. Each one only takes about 15 minutes to fit.

Ian
Thanks!
The breakdown said that was exactly the problem - the regulator. He said the rest of the alternator was fine, but there was a chance that I'd have to replace the whole part as the regulator may have "bonded" to it? Obviously, it would be great just to have the regulator replaced (the alternator was installed June 2003, so I thought it would be good for a while yet).
Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - steveo30
all the mk2 golfs ive ever had/seen have a regulator thats held on on with 2 screws ...£10 and a 5min job
As Steve has said this is a 5 minute job for a Bosch one, maybe 15 mins for a Valeo one. I have fitted about half a dozen recently and have never come across one that has 'bonded on'??
Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - Andy B
This thread has just reminded me that my wifes golf's lights all noticably pulse at idle. Even the interior light. Is this also the regulator?

Its not really been a bother since it was first noticed 10 months ago, but for £10 I would change it, particularly if this means its on its way out. Battery seems to charge fine.
Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - Xileno {P}
Where can one buy just the regulator?
Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - VR6
www.gsfcarparts.com sell the bosch (£9.50 + VAT) and valeo units seperatly. They do mail order, or check if they have a shop near you. Just click 'online shop' then select VW Golf MK2, then search for word 'regulator'
Thanks for all your replies. The problem was finally diagnosed as being the battery after all! One of the cells was damaged, so it wasn't holding its charge - which leads me to another question.
The battery was still in a 2-year warranty. It was replaced by a local recovery company, so I spoke to them and the guy who actually provided it (Nov 2003) dropped a new one off at the garage. He didn't leave a receipt or a new warranty (he disputed it was still under warranty until I pointed out I had all the paperwork proving this), so before I ring him and ask for one, does this replacement have a brand new warranty or is still only guaranteed for as long as the old one was? Hope I haven't lost you...

Antony
I think (but am not sure) you only get the balance of the original warranty.

If I were you I would be grateful to get a new replacememnt and leave it at that!

Golf Mk2 - new or recon alternator? - Cliff Pope
With most warantees you only get the balance, unless something has failed very early on in the period, when they may just start you off again with a new one.
Otherwise they would virtually be giving alternators for life (your's) as each failed mysteriously one week short of the waranty period.