Fiat Ducato 1995-2002, any known issues? - Steptoe
Sorry to bring this up on a car forum, moderators shoot me down if necessary but the only dedicated forum I could find is in German; now whilst I can speak German an intricate discussion about common rail diesels is a bit beyond my vocabulary.

I am looking to upgrade my Talbot Express based camper for a model which appears to be built exclusively upon the later Fiat Ducato chassis thus ruling out my preferred Tranny option.

Now unfortunately I have had to develop an intimate knowledge of the innards of the Talbot and obviously the running mechanicals of the 'MK 2' Ducato are broadly similar but I have never owned a diesel vehicle and thus am likely to make an expensive mistake. The model I am after (Bessecarr E625) spans the changeover from the 2.5 TD engine to the early 2.8JTD version.

It appears that there is an expensive (sic, Freudian slip, I of course mean extensive) knowledge base on diesels in the backroom; would anyone be kind enough to offer advice on which version to go for, and any common faults I should be looking for, or indeed if I should avoid them and stick to a Tranny. As campers, these vans will have done a lowish milage, circa 50k.
Fiat Ducato 1995-2002, any known issues? - Stuartli
The Ducato, Talbot Express and Citroen C15 were all basically the same van and built by Fiat on the same production line in the 1990s.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Indeed yes, and very useful when it comes to sourcing spares; not too many commercial Talbot parts departments around!

All of the early ones were supplied with 2L petrol or 2.5 diesel engines but as far as current production is concerned I *believe* that the Peuguot clone doesn't have the same engine as the Fiat version, hence my query as to whether to go for the 2.5Td or 2.8JTD or run a mile because they were still built by Fiat!
Fiat Ducato 1995-2002, any known issues? - Stuartli
I afraid I don't know anything about the current models. But if the Fiat version uses a Fiat diesel unit I can't see any problems as its car equivalent is well regarded.

Remember too that Fiat also produces engines such as the Alfa 3 and 3.2-litre V6, Ferrari powerplants and many others...:-)

I do recall being hugely impressed with the then new Peugoet Boxer when it came out in the early to mid-1990s.

The ironic thing about the Express, C15 and Ducato was that many buyers wouldn't consider the Ducato because they were aware of the reputation Fiat vehicles had had as being rust buckets up to the late 1980s. Yet I think the Ducato was much cheaper at the time..:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Fiat Ducato 1995-2002, any known issues? - Altea Ego
I would tend to steer clear of the JTD engine if possible. Its super and sporty in a svelt lithe 156, but possibly a little peaky for a commercial vehicle (unless of course its been re-mapped - a distinct possibility)

The JTD has been no worse than any other "modern" diesel power plant (DcI's, PDI's TDCI's HDI's) all are a little intolerant and over reliant on electronics.
Fiat Ducato 1995-2002, any known issues? - matstro
I bought a Ducato 2.8 LWB 1998 van from auction almost 5 years ago with 56k on the clock. Its now got 86k and all I've done is change the oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter. Changed a rusted brake pipe at the back, and apart from tyres, thats it - nothing else has gone wrong in 30k of driving and its never been in a garage. Niggles though now include a sliding door that doesn't slide properly, a drivers door lock is now faultya nd the air intake hose is split and drivers seat is splitting so its starting to need some work now.

Its the 2.8 non turbo and is very torquey to drive - pulling away from roundabouts in 2nd/ 3rd if on the move - very relaxing to drive and good on hills. Apparently the 2.8 turbo is nearly as fast as the fastest Sprinter. I'd imagine the 25 pulls alot worse.

One thing I don't like about it is its not too comfy to drive compared to a 2.5Di Transit. The Ducato tends to bounce alot whereas the Tranny floats more. Much quieter than a Transit though. Nice touch is the dash gearstick which you don't get on earlier vans.

Post more specific queries if needed!
Thanks to all for advice, I am a lot more relaxed about parting with so much cash for what will be a 6 or 7 year old vehicle if I feel that I will get some mileage out of it.

I was advised that the cab on this model is galvanised so should last, as for the chassis, my 16 yo Express's rear end is as new, the MOT tester praises it every year, so no fears there. I like Trannys, drove company one for years, but the rust worm can get a hold on them

matstro, I guess your van is usually lightly loaded, it's surprising how much sticking a shed on the back smooths the ride (:
Fiat Ducato 1995-2002, any known issues? - matstro
Your right about light loading. Its a Maxi which has a bigger weight in the back, bigger wheels and sits higher - with a vanfull (rare) yes it is quite damped. True about the galvanising as well. Very very little rust on my van and its not really been cared for. btw tourque wise, went out tonight and pulled away in 5th from 20mph but no nothing in the back. Good luck!!