Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - Keith Walters
I am about to take delivery of my first TDI car- Leon TDI 110.
Apart from the care needed to avoid overheading a HOT turbo are there any other points I neeed to be wary of?
I am told they may warm up more slowly than the equivalent sized petrol engine?
Also I believe one should NOT change the oil in the engine until 1 year is up to ensure the wearing in of the mating surfaces, but thereafter every six months?
Poor lubrication of fuel pump caused by bad fuel can give premature pump failure, should I avoid buying fuel from the same source to avoid this event?
Any other suggestions?
Re: Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - JohnD
Hi Keith - TDI's do take a little longer to warm up, but it's only marginal. Leave the oil in for 6000 then change it and the filter. Thereafter, I prefer to change mine, both oil and filter every 6000. Don't switch off the engine without letting it tick-over for a half minute or so, especially if the turbo has been working hard. Most diesel you buy in this country shouldn't give cause for worry regarding pump wear. Having said that - it's a good idea to use diesel Redex or Miller's occassionally.
Re: Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - Eleanor Coughran
I had a Cavalier turbo diesel which did 220,000 in 4 years, I am a rep and drive like one. I gave it oil changes every 10 to 15k throughout it's life, I drove it hard and it never let me down. Todays cars are extremely well disigned and are incredibly reliable. Do regular maintenance and don't worry about the mechanical side of things.

Eleanor
Re: Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - David Withers
There has bound to have been the odd incidence of turbo damage due to switching off when the thing's red hot (say after foot-to-the-floor towing up a long incline on a motorway and then shutting off quickly in a service station to go for a pee). There was also a concern with some low sulphur diesel fuels causing damage to injection pumps, though this was almost certainly nipped in the bud quite early since engine manufacturers work closely with fuel producers to ensure compatibility.

But has anyone on this forum actually had a turbo fail due to overheating or an injection pump fail due to low-lubricity diesel fuel? It might put things into better perspective if we can put some numbers on this.
Re: Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - David Withers
In respect of one of my questions just posted, I have just seen the note from the cutely named Rswipes about the failure of the turbo on his car due to switching off too soon -- but this was after 6 years and 80,000 miles, by which time the turbo may have been in terminal mode anyway. Any other examples?
Re: Diesel Additives - Dave N
If additive is added to aid the lubricity of the diesel, but it is only added occasionally, what happens all the time it is run without additive? Surely it has to be added to every tankful?
Re: Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - Ronnie Courtney
"I have just seen the note from the cutely named Rswipes"

Yes, David, very cute. I wondered how quickly someone else would get to the bottom of this one - a tissue of lies in my opinion.

Ronnie
Re: Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - Simon Butterworth
We'll soon flush him out.
Re: Turbo Diesel Cars- precautions - Dave N
Autocar mag had a turbo failure on their C5 long term test.