2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - NickS
Hi guys, My 54 regd Golf , which has done 13k seems to be using a fair bit of oil. I have done 6k in it in about 3 months, mostly motorway miles and the low oil level light has come on twice now, so i have now added 2 litres of oil (0w 30 VW longlife oil). I know its quite a new engine but is this usage excessive? It has been back to VW who say there is no leak, and there is certainly none on the drive. Any help is appreciated!
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - Dr Rubber
The handbook says 1 litre per 1000 miles is OK, but you will see plenty of posts here that disagree with that comment.
For what its worth, my 1.6FSI touran used no oil in 14k. The 1.9TDI I have now is a different matter though.
Joe
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - Altea Ego
People can disagree all they want, but its what the manufacturer says that counts, and generally they wont think about a problem unless its worse than 1 litre per 1k miles.
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - Roly93
The handbook says 1 litre per 1000 miles is OK, but
you will see plenty of posts here that disagree with that
comment.
For what its worth, my 1.6FSI touran used no oil in
14k. The 1.9TDI I have now is a different matter though.
Joe

The VaG FSi engines are notorious for high oil consumption in the first 20K miles.
Stangely enough though I have a 1.9 TDI Audi which has done 23K miles and has never used more than a tiny amount of oil, even less though now, so the exact opposite of your findings above.
Heavy oil consumption is usually due to improper honing of the bores during manufacture causing prolonged bed-in times for the rings & pistons.
I have heard that this many Vauxhall Zafira owners have suffered from this very phenomenon, as well as the Vauxhall 2.0 and 2.2 TDI engines too.
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - daveyjp
My A3 2.0TDi has used about a litre in 9,000 miles. Just done 1,000 miles in a week and it didn't use any. BTW allowing the oil to get to a level where the oil light comes on may cause you long term problems. Check weekly and top up as necessary - it's only a five minute job and better than the engine going bang.
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - Manatee
Would certainly be concerned at the oil light coming on at all if it is an oil pressure warning rather than oil level low indication. Does the car in question actually have a low level warning?

Not suggesting that NickS comes into this category, but this post prompts me to wonder again how many engines are needlessly wrecked because drivers ignore warnings - the chap who looks after my cars has had more than one call from customers to the effect "there's been a light on my dash flashing 'STOP' all the way home - I din't stop because it seemed to be running OK - can you have a look at it sometime and see if there's anything wrong?"
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - cheddar
I would not be happy with a litre / 1000 miles, that could be up to 10% extra in running costs.
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - NickS
Thanks for your input everyone. I have been checking the oil regularly but seems to go from registering on the dipstick obne day to there being nothing there the next day. I always keep a litre in the boot though so i pull over straight away if the light comes on (it does have a low level warning as well as a low pressure light). Took it to again this weekend though and they were v.helpful. Have filled the oil right up, and said to go back in 1000 miles so they can check the consumption.
2005 Golf 1.4 FSI oil consumption - bhoy wonder
When I had my 2000 golf gt tdi 115. The oil needed toping up every 5000 miles.