Honda Accord cambelt - P 2501
Hello all,

I have an accord, 2000 (X) and was wondering how reliable the cambelt set up on these are? It is the 2.0 vtec engine (petrol)

The service interval is 70k, but i don't really like to leave a cambelt this long. It has 50k up now and i was thinking of getting it done now. Any opinions?

Also - what should i expect to pay for this at an independent?

Thanks
Honda Accord cambelt - grease monkey
save your money,the cambelt change interval is 72K,the belt will easily get up to the required mileage without problems,just make sure that when it is changed you get the balancer shaft belt done at the same time.ive been a honda technician for quite a while now & the only belts ive seen break are when the owners dont bother to get them changed at all & drive thousands of miles past the replacement interval. so dont worry your cambelt will last the distance no problem.
if it aint broke don`t fix it
Honda Accord cambelt - Sprice
Including belt, you're looking at £250 at an indy. As you probably know, belt changes are directed by either (a) time or (b) mileage. You obviously haven't reached the mileage, but I'm guessing Honda state 6 years OR 72k? If so, as grease monkey says, no need to change just yet (unless you really feel the need)as you still got another year or so before you need to worry about it!
Thanks alot for the reassuring replies. I will leave it to 70k ish and at least another year - It is not yet quite 5 years old.

Just out of interest what is the balancer shaft belt? I have never heard of this before.

Is it worth getting the usual stuff changed with the cambelt too? things like tensioners,auxilliary drive belt(s) and water pump (which i think is driven off the aux belt)? Or are these ok to be left?

Thanks again!
Another query about these cars - The handbook states a coolant capacity of just 4.2 litres. Is this correct? This seems like a very small capacity for a 2 litre engine. My old peugeot had a capacity of over 9 litres for a smaller engine.

Thanks
Honda Accord cambelt - grease monkey
no need to change the belt tensioner or water pump when you have the belts changed,the tensioners are all metal construction,no cheap,nasty plastic rollers here !!!. The balancer shaft is as the name implies,it balances out the inherent vibration you would normally get with a 4 cylinder engine to make it feel smoother.
About the coolant capacity 4.2 ltrs is about all they hold,not a huge amount i know but it must be up to the job i guess or you would see loads of accords overheating everywhere & blowing head gaskets, just make sure that if you decide to change the coolant yourself make sure you throughly bleed the cooling system to purge it of air !!
if it aint broke don`t fix it
Thanks alot grease monkey. Just the replies i was looking for!

I don't think i will be changing the coolant myself, although i am half tempted... Surprisingly the manual gives instructions for changing the coolant, i was very surprised to see this as i assumed manufacturers want you to take the car to them.

I may give it a go as it doesn't seem to require any home made header tanks like some systems. Any tips for that job Grease monkey?

Thanks again