Sidelights - Wally Zebon
Whats the point of sidelights?

I think they should be done away with. Manufacturers shouldn't install them.

This morning's drive to work was a bit on the foggy side and approx 75% of cars coming towards me had their sidelights on. I didn't see them until they were about 20 yards away!

They are a hazard! The driver with the sidelights on thinks he is safe because he has his lights on, but they are as good as invisible from any sort of distance.

Sorry for the rant, but this is downright dangerous!
Sidelights - AngryJonny
But then what would you use when you park on an unlit road at night? We'd be back to the days of fixing lanterns to cars.

Agree that they're useless when driving though. Perhaps some system whereby sidelights switch to dipped headlights when you switch the engine on would be useful. (and removal of the sidelights up to X minutes after sunset bit from the highway code - that's rubbish)
Sidelights - sierraman
'Perhaps some system whereby sidelights switch to dipped headlights when you switch the engine on would be useful.'

You mean dim-dip?As used to be fitted to cars in the 80s .Quite agree the law is outdated,sidelights were alright when there was little background lighting,shops,adverts etc.but are useless these days.
Sidelights - Robin Reliant
I use them at dusk. Personally, I find the use of headlights while visibility is still relatively clear to be a nuscience, causing unnescessary glare.

I agree that some drivers overdo it as in the situation you suggest, but if there were no sidelights then they probably wouldn't switch on at all.

It is also a legal requirement for vehicles to be fitted with parking lights.
Sidelights - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The older members will remember the dim-dip wiring of headlights in the early eighties.
I'd several VWs where you could not drive with just the parking lights illuminated.The headlights were dimmed by a large resistor.
The scheme was pioneered in Birmingham but seemed to die a death- maybe because of the dreaded EU legislation.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Sidelights - $till $kint
I drive everywhere with my headlights on regardless of weather. During the day I use the height adjuster to dip them to their lowest setting, returning to normal height at dusk. It costs me nothing and I'm more visible.

Mr$ does the same. Before she started doing this she had a number of near misses when people pulled out in front of her in the L200. How on earth you can miss one of those bearing down on you is completely beyond me, but it happened. No repeats since she started driving with headlights on.
Sidelights - AngryJonny
I have a habit of driving cars that are either the same colour as the road or the scenery so I tend to use my headlights a lot. Like $$ I'm always careful not to dazzle other drivers, but if I'm doing so during the day it must be even worse at night and I need to get my lights seen to.

I find misaligned lights and foglights (that old chestnut) to be much more annoying - when I see another driver with dipped headlights on during the day I'm happy that they've had the presence of mind to make themselves as visible as possible.
Sidelights - David Horn
It costs me nothing and I'm more visible.

Not so. Headlights require power, and the power comes from petrol. So we assume your headlights are using 110W, and that you drive 12,000 miles per year, at (I'm guessing here) an average speed of 30mph.

12000 / 30 = 400 hours sat behind the wheel. Multiply by 110 gives 44kWh per year. The next bit is stolen wholesale from How Stuff Works:

First, the chemical energy of the petrol must be turned into mechanical energy by the car. This is only about 25% efficient. Next, the mechanical power needs to be converted to electical power, and this is apparently 70% efficient. Apparently, we get 10.5kWh of electricity out of a gallon of petrol (dunno if this is a UK gallon or US gallon).

So, having your headlights on means you use an extra (44 / 10.5 = 4.19) gallons of fuel each year. Change this up or down if you drive more or fewer miles. In today's climate (assuming 97p/litre) that's 15.86 litres (working US) which is just over 15 pounds.

Yes, I have nothing better to do this morning.
Sidelights - smokie
Interesting - I thought it was generating anyway so you were only using excess power.

I always make sure I plug in all the mobile phones and the iPod when I'm on a trip, to take advantage of the "free" electricity".

Anyone know the real answer?
Sidelights - David Horn
Yes. If you place no electrical load on the engine, the alternator spins freely and draws only enough power to charge the battery. Adding more load (mobile phone, headlights etc) forces the engine to work harder.

You can tell if you sit in your car with the engine idling and turn on the rear demister. You should be able to hear the engine note change as extra load is added.
Sidelights - Number_Cruncher
Yes, alternators always draw some power from the engine.

Even if the alternator isn't electrically connected to anything, the engine has to provide torque to overcome friction within the alternator and pump air through the alternator via the fan behind the pulley.

As soon as you draw any electrical power from the alternator for any purpose, the engine must supply *more* mechanical power than this electrical power, because the alternator and its drive (like any real machine) is not 100% efficient.

So yes, the alternator can place a real load on the engine. This can be looked at in two complementary ways.

1) For a given driver input, during periods of high alternator demand, less power is available to propel the car.

2) To obtain the same performance during periods of high alternator demand, the driver must increase his demand of the engine - i.e. the engine must produce more power, and hence use more fuel.

So, Smokie, your ipod is not being charged for free!

Number_Cruncher

Sidelights - AngryJonny
I have seen touring car races where some drivers choose to drive with their headlights on. Are we saying that these drivers are at a power disadvantage to their non light using colleagues?
Sidelights - David Horn
Yes, by 0.1475 horse power. (assuming 110W)
Sidelights - smokie
"So, Smokie, your ipod is not being charged for free!"

Well, it is, sort of. I get a fuel card from the company :-)

Interesting that, thanks for the explanation...
Sidelights - $till $kint
Yes, I have nothing better to do this morning.

Well Thankfully I do. An accident will cost me a darn sight more than £15 so I'll stick with driving with my lights on, ta.
Sidelights - Railroad.
Headlamps typically draw about 10 Amps each. This increased load on the alternator will mean the engine has to work harder to drive it, therefore requiring more fuel.

Also the voltage regulator brushes will wear more quickly and the alternator will always run hotter, so it's likely that a replacement will be required sooner.

So it's not true that it costs nothing to run with headlamps or any other electrical load permanantly on....
Sidelights - L'escargot
It costs me nothing and I'm more visible.

But it is likely to wear out the levelling mechanism prematurely.
--
L\'escargot.
Sidelights - $till $kint
2 cycles of the levelling motors a day if I use the car both in daylight and at, which isn't that often. So let's say they get cycled around 450 times a year. Hardly an onerous task for a high torque, low rev motor to perform is it.

Good grief, people will be advocating driving barefoot to stop wear on the pedal rubber next.

Believe it or not, cars are designed to be used. And the evidence all around me suggests they keep going for a lot longer than the typical 60,000 mile change cycle we so love and adore in the UK.
Sidelights - martint123
The older members will remember the dim-dip wiring of headlights in the early eighties.

Watch it! - mine has dim dip now. Sidelights on - sidelights. Start engine and headlights popup and come on dim. 1991 mx5.

Peugots had them in 1995.
Sidelights - Steptoe
Drive an older Volvo & you have no choice; two 21 watt daylight running lights come on with ignition.

Talbot camper has two bona fide sidelights with blanked off lamphousings; the bulbs having been moved into the headlamp reflectors to give a larger area of visible light, this setup nearly caused a MOT fail, luckly I was there.
Sidelights - henry k

>>
My E reg Sierra had dip dim. I thought they were a good idea.

I drive on dip beams in poor light or on narrow lanes.

I have upgraded my side lights to W5W bulbs. These are much much whiter and brighter.
Blurb says
At last we have matching colour temperature in the zone of HID lamps.
I will always fit them in future. They give my car a greater legal visibility, without abuse, especially if a dip beam fails.
I do have a bulb failure panel on the dash but fitting a replacement dip bulb from my in boot kit requires removing the grill and lamp units and I will not be doing that job in the rain.
Sidelights - John S
Were the dim-dip headlights not an alternative to fitting beam height adjusters? I may be completely off track here, but I'm sure I recall they were used as (temporary) method of meeting the lighting regulations by some makers? The regs must have been very badly written, but that's not unusual. I had an '80's Ford with these and I'm sure I was told that's why it was.

JS
Sidelights - Nsar
Tom, picture a road at dusk, you have a line of cars coming towards you with dipped headlights on, except you don't, you actually have a car in front of them with just its sidelights on, but it's difficult to see it clearly with all the much brighter lights behind them.

That's why I never use sidelights in dusk.

Sidelights - Old Banger
Whats the point of sidelights?

Parking. Driving in built-up areas at night. Parking on roads (or in lay-bys) where the speed limit is more that 30 MPH.

I think they should be done away with. Manufacturers
shouldn't install them.
This morning's drive to work was a bit on the foggy
side and approx 75% of cars coming towards me had their
sidelights on. I didn't see them until they were about
20 yards away!

>>
They are a hazard! The driver with the sidelights on
thinks he is safe because he has his lights on, but
they are as good as invisible from any sort of distance.
Sorry for the rant, but this is downright dangerous!

Good thing you were going at 25MPH or less, then, to allow for ill-edumacated drivers mis-using their lights. If it was that bad, they should have been using dipped headlamps and fog-lamps if available.
Sidelights - BazzaBear {P}
>> Whats the point of sidelights?
Driving in built-up areas at night.

Really? I would always use dipped headlights in that situation, as stated before, sidelights aren't anywhere near as visible.
Sidelights - Sofa Spud
Our VW's (Golf and Passat) have sidelights that come on brighter with the engine running and illuminate most of the lamp reflector. As a rule, if I need lights I put headlights on but occasionally I use sidelights in dull but clear daylight conditions.

Cheers, SS
Sidelights - PhilW
Surely the key to this is that they are not sidelights, they are parking lights. Therefore use (when necessary) only when parking. When driving use dipped, full beam and/or foglights as appropriate? I suspect some might disagree!!
Sidelights - Civic8
When driving and sidelights are on-you have to switch on dipped beam above sidelights,what some dont like doing (for fear of making battery go flat)is use it,Have come across this many a time,Problem is they dont understand and will not change what they believe,no matter what they are told
--
Steve
Sidelights - Cliff Pope
I think the real problem is the fact that there is no consistency between drivers.
In slightly impaired visibility, such as just an ordinary dull overcast day, sidelights alone are a big boost to a car's visibility. But as soon as some people start using dipped headlights, the sidelight-only brigade become invisible. I agree it therefore seems logical to support the use of dipped headlights in all such circumstances.
But that leaves other road users almost totally invisible - cyclists, pedestrians, herds of cows, etc. People see only the lights, and miss everything else.
Sidelights - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Sofa Spud,
I think that you will find that the parking/side lights in VWs are identical with or without the engine running.
I run on my parking lights some times because it is almost impossible to read the instruments (red needles/black background) in dull but otherwise reasonable lighting.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Sidelights - Stonk
All this talk about sidelights being used in a built up area because of glare is rubbish. Modern shop lighting and street lighting reflect off all surfaces (including parked cars)and a cars sidelights get lost amoungst them. It's an antiquated view about glare from dipped beamed lights. I think it's selfish to use them and comes across as 'well I can see everything' but others might not see you.
Sidelights should be used only when parked. If your vehicle is moving then use dipped beam.

My car has auto-on headlamps that come on at a certain light level. I normally overide that and switch them on if the ambient lighting is dull.

Another thing. Insurance claims forms always ask what lights you had on. I wouldn't like to put sidelights at 10.00pm. Not that I've had to make a claim.
Sidelights - Adam {P}
No idiot would have them on a 10pm anyway.
--
Adam
Sidelights - Wally Zebon
No idiot would have them on a 10pm anyway.

You'd think that about thick fog as well, but that was what brought me to post in the first place!
Sidelights - PhilW
"No idiot would have them on a 10pm anyway."
Ads, Have you driven in London? I only have occasionally but parking lights seem de rigour (sp?) there when not parked at any hour between sunnset and sunrise!!!!
--
Sidelights - David Horn
I find sidelights the worse on motorways just after dusk, when nearly everyone else is on dipped but some idiot has forgotton to switch over and is hiding thoughtfully just out of view of my wing mirrors but obscured in the rear view mirror turned to "night".
Cliff Pope has hit the nail on the head. Lighting is like the arms race, you must have more because you will get left behind if you don't.

In my opinion modern lights are unnescessesarly bright and dipped beam is used too often. Unfortunately you must join in or become invisible, even if it means blinding everyone you meet. I would like to see daytime lights banned, unless visibility is restricted.
Sidelights - Civic8
If dipped beam is set correctly, no other driver should be affected,ie nearside is set to pick up pedestrians ie slightly higher than O/S which is set lower.so as not to blind oncoming drivers,seems to be a problem that a fair amount of headlight users are not correctly set up,Driving on a motorway bears this out,how many pass you (if you let them) without being blinded by headlights.correctly set up they dont,unless as some do use main beam
--
Steve
Sidelights - Nsar
Since when do dipped headlights "blind everyone you meet?"
Sidelights - Civic8
Nsar,read my post properly.Ie incorrectly set up as many are!!
--
Steve
Since when do dipped headlights "blind everyone you meet?"

>>
Try driving on hilly roads when visibility is still good. Oncoming vehicles are not projecting a beam to let you know of their approach as they would be in the dark, and the first you see of them as the crest a summit is a pair of superbright xenon or whatever bulbs are in fashion now days hitting you straight in the eyes.
Sidelights - Nsar
Steve O - I was replying to Tom Shaw's post - the clue was me quoting part of his own message.
Tom - if you are blinded in good visibility by dipped headlights then perhaps you ought not to be driving in those conditions; a driver that is blinded by so frequent and normal an occurence is a danger to themself and other road users.
If I agreed with you I would return my licence. If I could not see other vehicles in daylight unless they had their lights on I would do the same.

The arguments about daytime lights can get long and involved. My outlook on using headlights on the bike was changed after hearing some very convincing theories as to how they were counterproductive, but I am not an optician so I can't really get technical here.

It is something we will have to agree to differ on.
Sidelights - AlastairW
My rear view mirror doesnt have a 'night' setting. It does have anti dazzle, but I only use that if the lights behind are annoying me because otherwise it restricts the rear view too much.
Sidelights - Cliff Pope
I wasn't joining the "dipped headlights dazzle" brigade - I was just observing that if some people have no lights, and some sidelights, or some sidelights and others headlights, the contrast means that the less-iluminated car will often be invisible.
I was arguing for consistency, but also caution in automatically jumping to the conclusion of the brighter the better, because lots of legitimate other road users necessarily have weak lights or no lights at all.
Sidelights - madf
superbright xenon or HID lamps are a pain in the day especially with vehicles following. When they go up a rise, I find my rear view mirror is full of blinding lights. Not really so much of a problem with oncoming traffic.

madf
Sidelights - turbo11
Agree.xenon and hid lamps are bad at any time.My wife (who wears glasses)and I find it difficult to see at night when blinded by them.Amazed they were ever allowed to be used.
Sidelights - Altea Ego
I think I have found the best compromise. IF it starts to get the tiniest bit gloomy I put my sidelights on when parked, and my front foglights on when moving.
Sidelights - AngryJonny
Now there's an idea that could catch on.

I leave my front fogs on at night too. Four lights are better than two, right?
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Sidelights - Nsar
Oh no...someone has used the f-word, expect this thread to hit 100 replies by lunchtime!
Sidelights - AlastairW
I leave my front fogs on at night too. Four lights
are better than two, right?

NO NO NO NO! The use of fog lights when visibility is unaffected by fog or spray is illegal. The people who turn every light they have on just cos it is dark really annoy me. As a glasses wearer I get all kinds of extra refraction when confronted by these (and no its not because of dirt on my specs/windscreen!)