Roadworthyness - snorkerz
I understand that an MOT certificate is valid for a full 12 months no matter what happens, but does that mean a car is road legal if it develops faults that would fail the test?

In my case it's relatively minor - the washer motor doesn't work. It's been suggested to me that the legal requirement is only to have a clear screen. Is that right?
Roadworthyness - Dwight Van Driver
Think about it------- vehicle passes test. Six months down the line, tyres bald, bulbs blown, steering rack kaput and it is still legal because the MOT is valid. Come on.

In your case every vehicle fitted with a windscreen shall, unless the driver can see to the front without looking through the windscreen, be fitted with one or more efficient automatic windscreen wipers capable of clearing the screen so that the driver can see the road in front on both sides of the vehicle and the front.

Every vehicle required to be so fitted must also have a windscreen washer capable of clearing mud etc off the screen. (Exceptions for ag vehics/tracklayers driven at no more than 20 mph)

Reg 34 M.V. [Con and Use] Regs 1986 £1,000 fine. No points

dvd
Roadworthyness - Colin M
As a spotty yoof, I ran into the back of a car that pulled out immediately in front of me on a dual carriageway doing 20mph when I was "making progress". It was raining and I braked quickly, hit the back of her mini bouncing across the road into the path of heavy traffic.

She was a heavily pregnant housewife, I was a spotty student.

Essex Police assumed the guilty party immediately and my car was taken away from the scene for a police inspection. As I was a keen DIY engineering apprentice, I had nothing to fear. Unfortunately they discovered my carefully made tensioning block I had knocked up in the workshop to shorten the handbrake cable which had stretched. Instead of replacing the cable, I had effectively shortened it again to get the required 3 clicks of the handbrake.

This was the only issue they had with the car but still did me under the CU regs for "driving with defective brakes". With that find under their belt, I was also done for driving without due care and attention. Fine was about 3 months money at the time and put me off the road for a while.

I learned a few things from that. Watch out for slow moving traffic in the inside lane, expect the unexpected. Don't assume your version of safe and proper matches that in the eyes of the law, and finally don't trust traffic cops, a feeling that has stayed with me in the passing 30 years.

Roadworthyness - adverse camber
I was stopped on my 18th birthday, mid july, 1pm, bright clear day, middle of a drought. The previous night some low life had kicked in my headlights and I was sorting replacements, I had bought one from one spares place and was on the way to collect another when I was stopped. I did not realise that my water bottle was empty. I was told that I would be prosecuted as I had two significant safety faults on my car (1 headlight and the washer bottle), although in the end, some 9 months later they decided not to.

Roadworthyness - Civic8
>>I had effectively shortened it again to get the required 3 clicks of the handbrake.

MOT does not require 3 clicks,if the handbrake holds on full,its a pass,if it does not it will fail!

--
Steve
Roadworthyness - Cyd
Snorkerz

The message here is quite simple. Under the Law your car is not roadworthy. You should fix it as soon as is practicle.

Fixing it: if it's the pump that's failed this could be quite a task as these days the washer bottles are often buried beneath the front bumper. Consult a Haynes about access.
A simple fix would be to get a universal pump from Halfords and simply fit it in the water line as near as you can to the original. You'll need to break into the wiring somewhere too for the electrical feed. the new pump will simply suck the water through the old one.
Roadworthyness - mare
In my case it's relatively minor - the washer motor doesn't
work. It's been suggested to me that the legal requirement
is only to have a clear screen. Is that right?

Notwithstanding whether it's roadworthy or not (and that point has been fairly well dealt with), i think you'll be missing your washer motor in a few weeks time anyway, as the weather worsens.
Roadworthyness - Civic8
>>I understand that an MOT certificate is valid for a full 12 months no matter what happens

Not the case,MOT is valid for period mentioned.Car is only fit for road on day/time it was checked,if you get a failed brake light bulb after the test, officially it would fail a test,so it is up to keeper of the car to keep in condition that makes it roadworthy at all times.Which means the w/motor needs replacing asap
--
Steve
Roadworthyness - Number_Cruncher
All an MOT certificate signifies is that the aspects which were examined during the test met the required standard at that time.

Note that there are only a limited set of test aspects. An MOT is not a guarantee of roadworthyness (whatever *exactly* that phrase means)

As an extreme example, an MOT tester cannot remove any covers. Behind the plastic wheel trims, the wheels may only be held on by one bolt. Result = pass!

Practically the MOT is a mainly subjective examination by someone who isn't *necessarily* particularly well qualified. While I may be out of date here, I don't think there are any formal requirements for entry onto MOT testers courses run by VOSA.

Oddly, I'm not too concerned about this state of affairs. A rigorous engineering based inspection would cost a bomb every year.

What I am concerned about is the way that people incorrectly infer "roadworthyness" from an MOT certificate. Steve.o's point about bulb failure is particularly apt.

If you know about a safety related fault, and continue to drive, those who know about these things might call you negligent.

Number_Cruncher

Roadworthyness - Sofa Spud
Backing up what others say here that a vehicle must be roadworthy whenever it is used on a public highway.

Is it true that police can order a car to be submitted for an MOT test if they think it is seriously defective, even if the test isn't due?

cheers, Sofa Spud
Roadworthyness - BobbyG
Yes, it most certainly is true!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32844&...f
Roadworthyness - Civic8
Is it true that police can order a car to be submitted for an MOT test if they think it is seriously defective, even if the test isn't due?

Usually is, If "seriously defective" removed from road.I think MOT advisorys should be done away with.any problems should in my oppinion be sorted when found,advisorys give till next MOT to get sorted.Not a good idea in my book.Only my thoughts
--
Steve
Roadworthyness - Dwight Van Driver
Not exactly Steve, but

An authorised PC carrying out a lawful test/inspection of a vehicle if it is found unfit then he can issue a prohibition on use notice. (Section 69 RTA 88 as amended).

One of the ways removal of said prohibition Notice can be effected is by the issue of a MOT Certificate. (Section 72 RTA 88 as amended).

dvd
Roadworthyness - snorkerz
Thanks everyone - you've backed up what I thought. The car came back from insurance repairs without the washer fixed and I wanted to know where I stood with regard to urgency for garage to take the car back and fix it. Extra thanx to Dwight Van Driver for the legal details.

Roadworthyness - Old Banger
I understand that an MOT certificate is valid for a full
12 months no matter what happens, but does that mean a
car is road legal if it develops faults that would fail
the test?

"Road legal", what does that mean?

It could well be "road legal", it would depend on the fault.

In my case it's relatively minor - the washer motor doesn't
work. It's been suggested to me that the legal requirement
is only to have a clear screen. Is that right?

No idea, but it does not directly make your car "not road legal". Driving with a badly smeared screen that impairs visibility would be "illegal".