VW recalls - poorly informed dealers - philipb
I noticed in July's AutoExpress that 44,000 VW Tourans were being recalled due to problems with the clutch overheating. This only affected models built in 2004 and 2005 with the 2.0 diesel engine.

Mine seemed to fit the bill, so having heard nothing from VW, I rang my local dealership who hadn't heard of the recall, despite an estimated 2,500 Tourans being recalled in the UK. I waited a few more weeks and rang the VW UK recall telephone number who confirmed that my car should have been recalled.

I rang my local dealer and booked the car in for a clutch modification a fortnight ago. However, when I arrived, they denied any knowledge of the recall! I left the car with them whilst they fixed a service indicator problem (which wasn't reset properly during a previous service!) and asked them to contact VW. When I picked the car up, they finally agreed that the car did need a clutch modification and ordered the parts. Tomorrow, I am wasting yet more of my time taking the car in for a second visit.

I appreciate that we live in an information rich age where I can find out highly information within hours of the news occurring.

Unfortunately, all of contact with VW service seems to follow the same pattern: car booked in for service/repair, fault following repair, rebooked for second service to repair problems caused by the first service. This is my first (and I think last) VW and so far it has been to the garage 7 times in the last 6 months for one routine service, one sat nav failure and one (yet to be performed) clutch recall. This didn't happen to me in the 10 years I ran Nissan Primeras.

All of which is a great pity because I really enjoy driving my Touran, particular now I have changed to Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres which are far quieter than the original Dunlop SP01As. My 3 young children love travelling in the car and far preferred it to the Mondeo Estate that we hired on holiday.

Have I just had a run of bad luck or is this typical of VW servicing?
VW recalls - poorly informed dealers - Hugo {P}
Two words come to mind:

"old" and "chestnut"

This is not an exhaustive search on this forum.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31223&...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=14444&...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32039&...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28945&...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28468&...f
VW recalls - poorly informed dealers - storme
so far i have bought a new polo then a new golf....and the reason i will never by from vw again, as their poor service.

they seemed very happy to take my money..then when the transaction was finished so was their attentive service

after that i was just an annoying customer who wanted the impossible...a good working order car......

the nicest dealer i ever had was a mazda dealer....

--
www.storme.co.uk
VW recalls - poorly informed dealers - Vincent de Marco
VW = downfall... Ask an average Helga, Hans or Jurgen - they'll all admit it, while on their way to the Toyota, Mazda or Honda dealership... ;)
- - - - - - -
I am the only Pole over here.
VW recalls - poorly informed dealers - Quinny
I have to stick up for VW here,because in 1995,they contacted me about my 10 year old 1.6TD,for a modification that needed doing FOC.

Booked into the dealers,and completed within a few hours.

Top marks to VW.

Ken.
VW recalls - poorly informed dealers - Quinny
Forgot.....I had a Golf.

Ken.