2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - robert
Hi,

Am considering getting a 2.0 Focus Ghia (Manual, petrol, estate). Not the new shape - but about a year old.

Does anyone have any experience of the MPG I could expect to get. The Ford book says 32.8 - but whats it like in practice?

Thanks in anticipation.

Robert
2.0 Focus. Expectdieselon fuel consumpti - islandman
Depends how you drive it!!

32.8 sounds ok and about right for mixed driving. A friend has the 1.8 and gets about 33/34 so I can't see the 2.0 being much different.

I have a VX Omega Estate 2.5V6 Auto and the computer tells me I'm averaging 25.4 which considering the size,comfort, performance and carrying capacity, I'm happy with --- but if it had the 2.5 diesel???

If your worried about fuel consumption and do more than 10K miles a year - get a diesel.

2.0 Focus. Expectdieselon fuel consumpti - Blue {P}
Most of the 1.8's that I've driven seem to get around very high twentys to about 30mpg, I think the 2.0 is very similar.

If you drive it gently it will probably do a bit better but don't expect anything more than 32mpg on anything other than a long motorway run to be honest.

The 2.0 Focus really isn't the car to buy if you want excellent fuel economy IMO! It won't be really, really bad, but it definately won't be good!

Unless you're doing a lot of miles or are running it on a very tight budget I don't think you'll find it a problem.

Blue
2.0 Focus. Expectdieselon fuel consumpti - MichaelR
My Mondeo has the same engine, and weighs about the same so I guess my experiences will be similar. I find it a suprisingly economical engine - provided you stay out of town. Around town I don't really see anything more than 25-27mpg, but once you get out of town it's really rather excellent - 35mpg is common with up to 44mpg available on the Motorway and thats at 70mph.

On a recent trip to Portsmouth from Plymouth, which covered everything from twisting A roads to dual carriageways and the odd bit of Motorway, I managed to get 40.9mpg. I think thats pretty impressive and whilst I wasn't driving like I'd just stolen it I wasn't hanging around either.
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Carse
Hi,

I drive a 2.0l Focus hatch and I get between 28-30 around town and between 35-38 motorway.

Carse
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - zarqon
Over the last 5,766 miles my 2.0ltr zetec has averaged 32.77
worst tankful, 31.1 best 32.76

MPZ
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - L'escargot
Recording every gallon for 80k miles in 5.5 years and calculating the consumption monthly my 2.0 Ghia hatch has returned 34.6 mpg (in winter) to 40.2 mpg (in summer).
--
L\'escargot.
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Quinny100
Over the last 5,766 miles my 2.0ltr zetec has averaged 32.77
worst tankful, 31.1 best 32.76
MPZ

How can your average be higher than your best tank?

I had a 1.8 Focus and the very best I managed to get from it was about 32MPG. Most of the time it did about 28mpg. I openly admit to having a heavy right foot but over pretty much the same journeys my Mondeo TDCi averages 45mpg.

The economy on the Zetec engine seems to take a big hit when its driven even slightly hard.
I had a 1.8 Focus and the very best I managed
to get from it was about 32MPG. Most of the
time it did about 28mpg. I openly admit to having
a heavy right foot but over pretty much the same journeys
my Mondeo TDCi averages 45mpg.

It's generally accepted that a diesel is more economical (on fuel at least) than a petrol. It's meaningless to compare a diesel with a petrol in the context of this thread.
--
L\'escargot.
It's generally accepted that a diesel is more economical (on fuel
at least) than a petrol.

Never!

>>It's meaningless to compare a diesel
with a petrol in the context of this thread.
--
L\'escargot.

What I was getting at was that the Focus would never get anywhere near the published combined figure of 37mpg, with the Mondeo its within 5% of the published figures over the same usage.

For more real world info on Focus fuel consumption see this thread tinyurl.com/dwpjt

It seems that the Focus uses more fuel than a Mk2 Mondeo with the equivalent engine.

What I was getting at was that the Focus would never
get anywhere near the published combined figure of 37mpg,

I can but repeat ..... Recording every gallon for 80k miles in 5.5 years and calculating the consumption monthly my 2.0 Ghia hatch has returned 34.6 mpg (in winter) to 40.2 mpg (in summer)!

9541.43 litres in 78854 miles = 8.26 mpl = 37.56 mpg overall!

QED

--
L\'escargot.
I can but repeat .....

So you have averaged 37mpg out of your Focus - good on ya, but a single experience is hardly representative given the several million Foci out on the roads in this country let alone anywhere else.

I have posted my own experience but backed it up with other sources that suggest that the typical owner may not achieve the level of consumption that you have. It is not an exact science and I think its only fair to draw the OP's attention to as much input and owners experiences as possible in order to make an informed choice.

2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - zarqon
To correct my earlier posting:

best tank 34.14 - worst 30.86

Cheers

MPZ
So you have averaged 37mpg out of your Focus - good
on ya, but a single experience is hardly representative

OK, that was my first 2.0 Focus. My current 2.0 Focus Ghia (bought at 3982 miles and now showing 12252 on the odometer) has used 1010.47 litres in the 8270 miles that I have had it. So at 37.2 mpg overall it's fractionally worse than my first. But (based on my experience of my first) I expect the economy to improve as the engine loosens up.
--
L\'escargot.
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Dave E
If it is anything like my Mondeo, don't bother. I have got a 1.8 SCi and it just is not up to the job. Claims of almost 40mpg are in the brochure but the best I have ever managed is 33mpg on a straight run from Stockport to Bicester on the motorway, which is rubbish frankly on a car that is supposed to be geared for such trips. When I was going to work in Ashton ( 26 mile round trip on the M60 in very light traffic conditions both ways ) I was averaging 26-29 mpg.

I had a gripe to Ford and there response was I must have a heavy right foot, I wish!

No more Ford's after this one I am afraid.
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - rtj70
Mondeo is a big car for a 1.8 so no doubt you're having to work it hard. Considered the 1.8SCi very briefly until I realised it would struggle and return poor mpg.

TDCi much better. Don't let the 1.8SCi engine put you off the Mondeo.

2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Blue {P}
God, even the ordinary 1.8 petrol Mondeo does better than those figures! Definately something wrong there I reckon.

Blue
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Chas{P}
Robert

My heavier and older Mondeo Mk2 2.0 'X' reg does 32 mpg commuting/round town and on a run the best I've got so far is 42.6.

It seems though, from what Adam etc has said, that Focus 2.0 petrols are less economical although both cars have the same Zetec E engine.
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - MichaelR
Actually the Mk2 Mondeo is barely any heavier than the equivilent Focus, if at all. I was suprised when I read that, but checking the figures from the manufacturer and it appears both Focus 2.0 and Mondeo 2.0 weigh approx 1280kg.
My local Ford dealer won't sell the Mondeo SCi anymore several following customer complaints of poor fuel consumption and technical issues - I know an retired bloke who used to work for Ford and got one cheap on a Ford ticket and had problems with the ECU light keep coming every few weeks on because he wasn't driving it far enough or fast enough for the fancy injection system to work properly. The solution from Ford was to drive it down the motorway for half an hour above 60mph when the light came on and it would sort it out!

I can't understand why anyone who wanted/needed decent fuel consumption would want anything other than the TDCi anyway.
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Waino
What's a Mondeo SCi?

My '97 2.0 Mondeo Estate (now 116,000mls) does just over 35mpg; SWMBO's 1.6 3yr old Focus Chic 1.6 does just over 37mpg. [both measured over a year]. The Focus is a smashing car to drive - the 1.6 engine is fine.
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Dynamic Dave
What's a Mondeo SCi?

www.verdictoncars.com/jsp/vocmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=2...8
2.0 Focus. Expectation on fuel consumpti - Waino
Thanks, DD, I didn't realise there had been a change from the Zetec. From the few references on the thread, can I infer that it is snake oil?