Cars in films - patently
I've just watched 'Kill Bill 2' - can anyone tell me what the lovely blue roadster is?

I want one...... :-P
Cars in films - JohnM{P}
I've not seen the film, but a Google search indicates it's a VW Karmann Ghia
- similar to this?
www.bathaircooled.co.uk/mrides/cmacdona/cmacdona.h...l
Cars in films - THe Growler
There is one in original condition living 4 doors away from me. Got no value in the Philippines since it has no air-con and is a convertible. It's a '64 and the owner says he'll take $2,000 for it F.O.B anywhere in the world. Otherwise he says he'll scrap it and make a trike with the VW motor.....
Cars in films - Altea Ego
G

Its easily worth $10,000 in the US if its in good nick. Earn yourself a few bob?
Cars in films - Railroad.
We took our children to the cinema to see 'Herbie Fully Loaded' recently. I then saw an immaculate V/W beetle restored just like Herbie in Eastleigh, Hants....
Cars in films - Railroad.
I've also seen a Dodge Charger exact replica of the 'General Lee' from the Dukes of Hazzard in the Winchester area a couple of times.....
Cars in films - bikemade3
I've also seen a Dodge Charger exact replica of the 'General
Lee' from the Dukes of Hazzard in the Winchester area a
couple of times.....

Quality!!
Cars in films - peterb
There are loads of VW Karmann Ghias in North London for some reason. Most are fixed head rather than convertible, however.
Cars in films - school boy
They wreck them all them all thats the bad bit and there arn't too many of those about.
Cars in films - Hugo {P}
Whilst filming the Dukes of Hazzard series, they got through some 312 Chargers. I suspect there is no such thing as the original General Lee.

Source - 50 top TV cars on sattelite a few weeks ago.
Cars in films - Garethj
Whilst filming the Dukes of Hazzard series, they got through some 312 Chargers. I suspect there is no such thing as the original General Lee.

[Anorak mode on] The original General Lee does still exist, it was the one that made the first jump in the first series and you can tell it apart because it's the only one that had chrome sill covers. All cars are pretty much wrecked after one jump but this one was kept on the studio backlot.

Much later in the series it was repainted green, a few dents were added and it was carried on a trailer as a prop - I think it was a stock car that someone was going to repair somewhere in the storyline.

This car still exists, and was sold on ebay about a month ago still in its green paint. I think it went for $30,000 or more?

There were 36 VWs used in the new Herbie film, a couple were scrapped after filming, but Disney retained all the others. As for the older Herbie films, a few cars survive from the race scenes, hidden driver cars and a few of the other stunt cars.
[Anorak mode off]
Cars in films - J Bonington Jagworth
"they got through some 312 Chargers.."

I often wondered where they all came from, as it was surely long out of production when they filmed it?
Cars in films - THe Growler
But a lot of the Gen. Lees were simply scraped around a bit and they used to respray them in the lunch hour.

Source - some US programme about chap who is/was building the ultimate next Gen'l, the Gen'l Grant (what else? - Ulysses, such a great name for a car....)
Cars in films - Garethj
But a lot of the Gen. Lees were simply scraped around a bit and they used to respray them in the lunch hour.

Absolutely right. They used to break approximately 2 per programme, but lots of cars were stripped and rebuilt. I bet the mechanics were pretty expert with the gas welders with that much practice!
Cars in films - quizman
I watched "Confessions of a Driving Instructor" last night.
Our hero Timmie drove a Mk2 Cortina 1967/68, I had a Mk2 1600E at the time, the first car I had with folding seat backs, very usefull. On some shots there were scenes on nearly empty motorways, with Ford Zephyrs and all sorts of long ago forgotten cars. Also the motorway did not have any barrier between carrigeways, not very safe!

There were other nice scenes as well, quite a good film in a funny sort of way.
Cars in films - Happy Blue!
I love the Karmann Ghia. Ex-wife had a cabrio which was great fun whilst I was still married to her.

Lovely shape and easier to work on thanhte Beetle because the engine bay is bigger. Originally a Chrysler show car in about 1953.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Cars in films - Pugugly
Went to see Gran Torino last night. Brilliant escapism. The audience actually clapped at the end.

Edited by Honestjohn on 01/03/2009 at 12:23

Cars in films - Nsar
Not seen it, but doesn't it re-invent the Dirty Harry, avenging loner character, in which case spontaneous applause is slightly worrying?

The same thing happened with that Michael Douglas movie Falling Down.
Cars in films - Pugugly
No it was ok - fuffiled my closet liberal tendencies. Don' want to spoil it for anyone.