Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - tyro
Our Citroen Berlingo Multispace, purchased March 2002, was, after a while, discovered to have dampness in the front passenger footwell. It was taken in to the supplying garage, which changed what they called the "shower curtain" in the passenger door.

We soon discovered that the carpet in the footwell was wet again. We took it in. They did the job again.

A third time we discovered that the carpet was soaking. The garage said "Hmmm, it will need to go to the body shop for a few days." So it did. They "tried everything" and said they couldn't find the problem.

Autoglass had a look at the car and said "It's not the windscreen."

I've done a forum search and seen there are various possible causes. We can rule out anything to do with sunroofs and aircon, because we have neither. What could it have been that the garage managed to miss?

(moderators: I've told the above story in Discussion as well, dealing with the issue of payment. I hope it is OK to post a seperate thread here on the technical side.)
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - Dynamic Dave
(moderators: ....

Providing answers don't become repetitive of those in discussion, it's fine.

That aside, does it have a pollen filter fitted? I believe these are on the passenger side of your vehicle, but might only apply to cars with A/C.
That aside, does it have a pollen filter fitted?

I don't know. How do I find out?
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - Quinny100
If its got AC it will have a pollen filter. It will be down in the passenger footwell somewhere up behind the glovebox.
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - Dynamic Dave
It will be down in the passenger footwell somewhere up behind
the glovebox.

Details here:-

snipurl.com/hqtk
Thanks DD.

The Puravent website says "only available for models with A/C" - and we don't have A/C.

Does that rule out pollen filter problems?
I've had a thought which may (or may not) be relevant.

When we drive in the rain, we often hear the sound of running water which (from the drivers seat) sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the dashboard or the passenger side A pillar (or should that be F pillar?)
And a bit more. It's raining at the moment (I'm in the Highlands, remember!) so I went out and checked the footwell. Bone dry.

I suspect this could be because wind (& hence rain) is coming from the SW, and therefore not hitting the passenger side of the car. There does seem to be more tendency to dampness when wind & rain come from the east. (Car is almost always parked facing south.)

It is possible that because prevailing winds are from the west, and rain from the east is unusual, the problem may be a bit intermitent.
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - Number_Cruncher
tyro,

If the water you find is clean, then it probably coming from above. Things like door seals, pollen filter, heater intakes, sunroof drain tubes, door membranes would be likely culprits.

If the water you find contain dirt, then it likely to ome from below the car, and may be being thrown up by the wheels. Possible culprits include the bungs in the floor, the seals and joints between panels and structural members, any wiring grommets or penetrations that could be hit by road spray.

I hope this helps you narrow down the potential cause.

Number_Cruncher
Update

It has now happened again, and there is no question that it comes from above.

I've noticed, and this may be a useful clue, that there was water on top of the rubber mat, and the carpet around the rubber mat was sodden both to the left of the mat and to the right of it and behind it - but under the mat (at least away from the edges) was dry.
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - horatio
So it is only wet passenger side?

Are you agile or elderly? get young person to look with torch up behind the glove box. This is a really awkward thing to have to bend your body to do, so only for a young person to attempt. You should be able to see some water drops still clinging to the metal. Or signs of rust. I don't know your car so also looking from under the bonnet around the bulkhead between engine bay/footwells look for signs of rust.

Try writing to the manufacturer, and ask them to buy the vehicle back from you (I hope you didn't part ex because they for some reason really screw you if you have part ex'd and are claiming a refund). Even if you find the leak and they attempt to fix it, I bet they won't do a good job and a lot of damage has been done all ready. Have you tried spraying with a hose pipe? If as you say the water is on the mats it should be a simple job of sitting in the car and looking for the leak.
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - AR-CoolC
Tyro

Is this the Multispace with the roof module? the one with four small glass panels and the roof bars?

If so I might have the answer.
Sorry - no modutop, (& no full length sunroof)
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - lassiebella
Yes , my car does have the glass roof panels. Could this have something to do with the damp footwell?
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - AR-CoolC
It could be. I was once in a bodyshop that had the whole roof module out trying to fix a leak in it. It was leaking where the module is bonded into the roof, and they were having a "mare" sorting it out.
Citroen Berlingo damp footwell - oyne

I had exactly the same problem, but only the drivers side of my van, finally up to an inch of water when I took the seat and carpet out. The fault was a pencil sized hole behind the black plastic wheel liner. Jack up the car or van, remove the wheel and liner (held on with plastic plugs) and right in the corner where the inner wing and firewall meet about 3" below the drivers side wiper area drain hole there is a line of weld and mastic. On 2 vehicles (mine and a neighbours) Citreon have failed to fill the hole with mastic. Normally this does not matter as the drained water travels on down behind the wheel liner and out but over time debris collects behind the liner, stops the water flowing out and it finds it way through the hole. You can,t see it from inside because of the upper carpet behind the throttle pedal. You need to remove seat and carpet even when you,ve filled hole because the carpet foam retains the water unless you hang it up for a week. To save removing both seats and full carpet, unscrew central gearstick and hand brake plastics just enough to be able to cut carpet with a stanley knife under the plastics (TAKE CARE NOT TO CUT WIRING). I,ve never had a problem since filling this hole! Citreon.......TAKE NOTE.

Edited by oyne on 16/03/2010 at 23:58

citroen berlingo damp footwell - gweeb

nice one oyne, sounds like that could be the source of the problem, had my windscreen replaced three times on my pugeot partner 2005, almost certain that the water isn't coming from there.

i dried out the floor mat but after a spell of rain its wet again. its driving me mad!

i dont suppose you'd have a photo available of where the hole you described above is located. i had a look but not sure if i plugged the correct hole.

many thanks for taking the time to post,