squeaky wipers! - mikeinlondon
My wipers on my Toyota Corolla squeak and make other noises when used (in the wet obviously!) and it drives me crazy!

What can I do to reduce/get rid of these noises? I tried new wiper blades, but to no avail...

Any tips welcome!

Mike
squeaky wipers! - islandman
This can be caused by polish getting on the screen. You could try cleaning the screen with white spirit or similar which may help. However, this happened on my wife's Audi and doing this made no difference. It drove her mad too!
The cure was to replace the wipers with Bosch blades which were a bit expensive at about £25 for 2 but the improvement was immediate. No squeak and good water removal -- this was about 2 years ago and they are still ok.
You say you have tried new blades - are these the normal cheapish ones? If so may be worth spending £25. If it annoys you as much as I think it does you'll try anything!

Good luck
squeaky wipers! - volvoman
Bosch blades £25 for 2!!!
Last time I bought some they were about £6+drat per pair (22") in Costco.
squeaky wipers! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Had this on Passat several times.
Try cleaning the glass with the normal products or the paper & vinegar method.
Also clean the blades with meths.
If judder then occurs you may need to carefully twist the arms using an adjustable spaner.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
squeaky wipers! - turbo11
I usually find that when my wipers squeek or squeal,its usually time to replace them as they have got hard and stiffer in sunlight.on most of my vehicles this has been about every two years.
squeaky wipers! - SjB {P}
Seems like a double post: I had already answered mikeinlondon in the Tech Forum! www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=34...2
squeaky wipers! - Red Baron
I used to get squeaking and juddering wipers across the screen on various cars...

The problem was that the screen was squeaky clean (excuse the pun).

I now put a dash of Halfords car wash in the washer bottle. The wipers now glide much better.
whoops, is that frowned upon? Sorry if it is!

What about my favourite glass cleaner, Windowlene (the old fashioned pink bottle stuff), but this contains white spirit...

.*******

Mike
squeaky wipers! - Altea Ego
Have you chaged the rubbers or the complete blade assemblies?

always chage the assemblies rather than blade rubbers when you get juddering problems.
squeaky wipers! - Dynamic Dave
What about my favourite glass cleaner, Windowlene

Don't use it, as it will cause nothing but glare if you do.
.*******

Ah, I see you've been introduced to the swearfilter ;o)
No! honestly I didn't swear!

Don't know why that happened!

Mike
Ahhh brainwave....

We had the car 'teflon coated' when bought new to help lessen the cleaning needed (black mettalic paint). Would this have affected the screen?

Mike
A friend said to try toothpaste! Is he having me on??

Mike
squeaky wipers! - BazzaBear {P}
Yes to both your last questions:

The teflon coating could definitely make it more squeaky, for the same reason don't use car shampoos with wax in them, as you don't want wax on the windscreen.

Toothpaste is a very gentle abrasive, so could remove the teflon layer without damaging the glass. I seen to remember some people use toothpaste to polish all sorts of glass.
squeaky wipers! - Stuartli
>>to polish all sorts of glass>>

...and, believe it or not, it can be used to get rid of minor scratches in audio CDs.....

Squeaky wiper blades can also be caused by the arms and holders becoming/having been forced or twisted slightly out of line.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
squeaky wipers! - Vansboy
Try neat screenwash on kitchen towel, on the existing blades - you'll probably need a few sheets - it'll be black!

Then more neat screenwash sprayed on the glass & polish off with newspaper.

Vb
squeaky wipers! - nutty_nissan
SIMPLE! Get some PIAA wipers, you will probably need to buy the new blade assembly from them, but after that you can just buy their refills.

PIAA's blades are 100% silicone and not just coated to the wiping edge.

I used to have Toyota ones and they were crap. I switched to PIAA, and the awful squealing stopped. In fact, they claim you can even use them on a dry screen, and they still won't make any noise (which worked when I tried it).
squeaky wipers! - Mondaywoe
I find Autoglym glass polish is very good. Rubs off easily and leaves no haze or streaks - and of course, it makes the wipers glide better.

Graeme