Merc Build Date? - Al 42
Can recall reading an article about a cancelled export order resulting in cars being left standing for long periods!

My C Class was registered in March 2003 but a lot (is not all) the components have October 2001 stamped on them.

My dealer informs me that MB will commission a parts run that may be used on cars over a number of years so the difference in dates is not unusual.

Is this correct, or are they fibbing and, has my car been standing in a field hub deep in water for over a year?
Merc Build Date? - Armitage Shanks {p}
This may help

www.autobaza.pl

I seem to remember reading that the production code on the ashtray (if fitted) was a good clue as to build date.
Merc Build Date? - adverse camber
What about chassis number? There is a standard format these days for chassis numbers, google on vin decode or similar. Otherwise doesnt the handbook have manufacture date in it? Its in the book for our audi.
Chassis number is VIN number these days SFAIK.
Merc Build Date? - Aprilia
Can recall reading an article about a cancelled export order resulting
in cars being left standing for long periods!
My C Class was registered in March 2003 but a lot
(is not all) the components have October 2001 stamped on them.
My dealer informs me that MB will commission a parts run
that may be used on cars over a number of years
so the difference in dates is not unusual.
Is this correct, or are they fibbing and, has my car
been standing in a field hub deep in water for over
a year?

I'm afraid your dealer is fibbing. Sure, some MB suppliers will work on a 'batch production' basis and it is not unusual to find components dated a month or two prior to production date. Also, registration date can be a month (or few months) after production.
But two years?! Can you imagine the storage space required for two years worth of production components on a relatively high-volume car like the C-Class? No way. Ever hear of JIT? I suspect your car was manufacutered around the end of 2001, at the latest.
Good places to check build date codes on an MB are:
top and bottom hoses
Seat belt tags
Air cleaner assy ('clock face type' dating)
window glass (you have to know how to decode it).
Also the back of the door cards and rear seat cushion etc will normally have a sticker on which gives the date in a simple format.

I always try to 'date' any MB I'm thinking of buying - there is sometime dodgy practice (re-built write-off, engine swaps, trim swaps etc etc).
Merc Build Date? - Stargazer {P}
Another trick is to check the sticker for the airbags, my Volvo has a sticker giving the airbag installation date and dates for checks and replacement. (Check at 10 years, replace at 15 I think).

StarGazer
Merc Build Date? - Al 42
Thank you for your advice with this.

I've done a VIN check and the car was delivered to a UK dealer in Nov 01. It was registered however in March 03.

I'll be having a word with the dealer re the 16 months lost with regard to the longitivity of the aircon seals, brake fluid, exhaust etc etc.
Merc Build Date? - Aprilia
You might want to do a little probing on this.

Was the car first used as a demonstrator?

If not, then where was it it for 18 months? The C-class was sellling pretty well at that time and I would be suspicious - unless it was a very undersirable spec I would have expected them to sell it in a few months, at the outside.
Merc Build Date? - daveyjp
When I was looking for an A2 I found a brand new one at a car supermarket. British spec, not an import and at a price similar to a 6 month old demo from a dealer. When I went to have a look it had single figure miles, but I could tell it wasn't the latest model - the info revealed it was 18 months old. The salesman couldn't tell me where it had been for all that time.
I recall that the "Mercs hanging around" problem arose from rhd cars for export to Malaysia and Indonesia being cancelled due to some fuel crisis at the time. I also thin that it related to the old E class and SLs