Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - SlightlyFatRep
My mate has a Vauxhall Vectra 2.2DTI LS 5dr Automatic that he has been running privately as his company transport.

It is on an '03 plate (March 03) and has a full Vauxhall service history. It is in average condition (few stone chips, tiny dents, etc, but other than that very good with everything working on it) and it has 81,700 miles on the clock.

According to Auto Trader with this mileage it is worth approx £700 as a trade-in and according to the What Car? magazine it would be worth £1,200. Can these figures really be right for a 2 1/2 year old car?!

Looking on Ebay and a couple of other places privately, Vectra's similar to this sell arround the £5,000 mark. Would this be a reasonable starting point for a private sale or is this over the top still? Is the Automatic box a help or a hinderance (i.e does it sell at a premium or the opposite?)

Any advice appreciated! He hates the idea of selling privately as he doesn't feel mightily confident selling cars but the financial difference makes it look like madness to trade it in.
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - Dynamic Dave
Glass's Guide

Part-exchange Price:

Excellent condition: £5410

Average condition: £4840

Below average condition: £4250

Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - martint123
As a starting point he has to ask a garage what they would give as a trade in for what he may be contemplating.
Many thanks to Dave and Martin.

I know Glasses is the trade bible, so why do the two publications mentioned give such a different figure? If I was Joe Punter I would look at those and calculate on that basis when I worked out what to offer someone........

Yes, he needs to talk to a dealer and get an actual figure against the car he is after. He just wanted advise as to what the dealer was likely to say and how to react accordingly.

What figures do you think he could realistically expect to get privately?
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - MichaelR
What Car can get very interesting with non standard mileage, often throwing out wildly inaccurate and bizarre results.

Luckily, the previous owner of my car didn't know this, and actually priced the car at the What Car price! Well happy.
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Do these Vectras sell on e bay or are they listed at a price but don't sell?!
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - Old Banger
Do these Vectras sell on e bay or are they listed
at a price but don't sell?!

"Advanced search, completed listings only"
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - DavidHM
What Car and Autocar seem to be calculating the value as follows:-

Average mileage, 25,000 miles = £5,500
Less £80 per 1,000 miles above average = (£4,480)
Total value of car = £1,020

Obviously this is simply wrong.

As for being an automatic, I would say that for this car it has a slight, positive influence on the value for the simple reason that being sub 3 years old, big-ish with an economical diesel, high mileage and finally automatic, this is an obvious taxi or minicab and so for that use at least, an automatic gearbox is a plus even if it will reduce the economy slightly.
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - smokie
I once had a high mileage but reasonably new Sierra Sapphire that in theory I had to pay someone to take away...
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - Altea Ego
Well being a sierra saphire, thats about right I reckon. ;)
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - prm
Tell him to put it on e-bay, I sold my '98 Vectra with 120,000 miles 3 months ago and got £1010 for it, his car must be worth between £5-5500.
Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

He will give it a deep-clean at the weekend and advertise in the local free paper.I have suggested putting it up for £5,250 and hope for £5k.
Latest update.

He is still not keen on selling privately, so is continuing to see if he can trade-in. A Network Q Dealer a long way from here is offering 4,000 for it (turns out it's an SXI model not LS as he thought) in P-Ex for another Vectra.

I found a cracking deal on a Mondeo through Virgin but all they would offer was £3,500 as a P-Ex.

He is off to Trade-Sales in Slough tommorow - we shall see..........
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - smokie
Trade Sales aren't likely to offer a good trade in price in my experience...but their screen prices are sometimes very good.
Trade in £ can't be that low surely? - Collos25
Its not the trade in price or the price of the new vehicle its the bit in the middle thats important and the % rate if you have to buy on credit ,a lot of these big outlets have a good screen price but poor trade in and and extortionate credit rates along with main dealer in house rates.