Vectra speedo and tachometer stopped? - Cyrill666 {P}
Hello,

I have a 1999 Vectra 2.0Di and today my speedo suddenly stopped working along with the tachometer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I should start looking?

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Vectra speedo and tachometer stopped? - Dynamic Dave
Hi Cyril,

I *believe* it's the same fault as mentioned in this thread regarding a Corsa.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33501
Hmm... not sure as I haven't lost anything else on the instrument panel - just the speedo and rev counter.

Cheers.
Maybe the connector plug has only partially become disconnected and is only affecting the speedo and rev counter?
Ok - how easy is it to access this connector plug? Is it a case of jamming my hand up behind the dash flailing around feeling for it?

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated.
Goto homepage.ntlworld.com/cavweb/misc/ and scroll down the list until you find "veccyclo.doc". (It's almost at the bottom of the page). If you haven't got MS Word, it should still open with MS Wordpad. Instructions on how to get the speedo assembly out of the dash. Pay attention to the warning about the airbag light.
Vectra speedo and tachometer stopped? - elekie&a/c doctor
It is very unlikely to be a loose connector at back of pod,especially as you say the rest of the lights & gauges are working ok.It is not possible to reach the connector from below & getting the pod out is not very easy. Check the fuses first,then try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins.
I'll do that thanks.

One other thing - with the ignition on, the speedo needle vibrates at a fairly high frequency - this implies some kind of signal getting through I think...

I'll try the battery off route - yes, I have radio codes etc ;) - if that doesn't work I'll take the whole shooting match out. I need to have a go at the information display anyway as I'm losing pixels there.

Thanks again for everyones replies - I will post the solution here when I eventually find it.

Thinking some more on this, earlier diesel Vauxhalls relied on a signal from the alternator for the rev counter. Not sure if the same applies to your Vectra. OK, it doesn't explain why the speedo isn't working though, but just a thought.
OK, O followed the instructions last night and took out the dash - the clip on the back was very securely fastened and was fine.

I've tested all the fuses and tried the battery off test... So far nothing has changed, the fault still exists.

I found references to a dodgy battery/alternator on another forum so following that and your last comment Dave I'll now explore that route.

Cheers.
Hmmm.... took the car out this morning and the speedo and tacho worked - although they weren't registering quite right - 30mph was about right (we have a "speed information" sign near a local school which is quite handy!) but anything below was wrong - for example trundling up my street at about 5mph, the speedo was registering about 15mph. The tacho was registering a couple of hundred rpm too low. Very odd.

Got home, switched off - as soon as the ignition went off, the speedo vibrated for 5/6 seconds then stopped. Now I'm back to square one the speedo and tacho are not longer registering.

:(

Very wierd.
I'm hoping to be able to close this thread with an answer to this problem soon... I found another forum where the problem was described by another Vectra owner, and he fixed it by replacing the Speedo unit itself.

I've got the car booked in at the dealer next week for a £29.50 investigation. They've given me a ballpark figure of £160 for a new speedo unit and £50 to fit and reprogram it with tyre sizes and mileage - assuming the problem is traced to a duff speedo.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Out of interest does anyone know if I could pick up a new instrument module anywhere else? I suspect not, but it's worth asking.

Merry Christmas all.

:)

Had the car at the local dealership this morning, they confirmed that a new instrument panel is required (£30 for the diagnostic test), cost to repair is quoted for my model (1999 2.0di) as £271 for supply, fitting and programming of the new unit. The new unit needs the mileage set to be the same as the old one, but also needs programming with tyre sizes etc.

I'll book the vehicle in and let you know the outcome here.

Cheers.
Vectra speedo and tachometer stopped? - Wales Forester
If you look in the back of the Autotrader magazine, amongst the parts and services adverts, you will find ads for people who reprogram these speedo units for a reasonable cost.
You could pick up a used speedo from a breakers yard and then just get it reprogrammed with your correct mileage etc.
It's got to be cheaper than buying new which must be a bitter pill to swallow at this time of year.
You've already done the job of getting to the back of the original unit, so removing and replacing it yourself may not be much more difficult?
Vectra speedo and tachometer stopped? - bell boy
thats seems a very reasonable answer to me,as long as the s/h replacement does indeed work.