Catalytic converter problem? 1.6 Focus - MT
My 2003 1.6 Focus had a "major" service at 20600 miles last week. 3 days later, on starting the engine, the cabin was filled with the smell of rotten eggs. Windows have been down, air con on and a 200 mile long journey completed but still it smells inside. New tankful of BP (but not Ultimate) has gone in now. Standing outside car with engine running - no smell from exhaust. I would be very grateful if anybody can throw any light on this problem. I am worried the engine will be damaged. Please help. Many thanks.
Catalytic converter problem? 1.6 Focus - Graemetdci
I recently had a similar problem with my focus TDCi after having major warranty work to cure a flatspot which turned out to be a problem with the turbocharger. After this was replaced, when I got the car back a horrible smell entered the cabin every time the car was stationary and idling or on reversing. I had also wondered about a catalyst problem but it turned out that a breather pipe from the main engine block had not been re-sited and so every time I stopped at a junction or at lights, fumes from the engine were able to enter the cabin through the ventilation system. The smell disappeared immediately after the pipe was reconnected.

Catalytic converter problem? 1.6 Focus - MT
Thank you for this encouraging message! Think I may take the car to Quik Fit for them to have a look; either that or a trip back tothe service garage, who don't seem very helpful. Will let you know outcome!