Berlingo HDi gearbox trouble - king arthur
Actually a Peugeot Partner 2.0HDi but it's the same as a Berlingo.

Had clutch changed two weeks ago at around 145k miles.

Two weeks later I start hearing a whine on third gear. But the whine only appears either after moving from rest changing up from first and second, or after using third gear for a while, after having travelled in fourth or fifth.

Now, after a couple of days of that, a whine has also appeared on fourth gear and sometimes fifth, again only evident after using these gears for a while.

This, and the faint whiff of gear oil when emerging from vehicle, leads me to suspect I am gradually losing gear oil from somewhere.

So two questions: am I right? And secondly, how do I check / top up the oil level, and what fluid to use? Will need to use the vehicle for some time before any leak, if there is one, can be remedied.
Berlingo HDi gearbox trouble - cavi
personnaly i would have thought that if it was losing gear oil it would have been evident from 5th downwards not from 3rd up through 4th and 5th. i could be wrong though!
Well having investigated the underside of the engine there is a large amount of fluid on the bottom of the under tray and it is gear oil, so that answers one question. I've bought some more, now I just need to know where to put it!
Berlingo HDi gearbox trouble - Mondaywoe
If there's gearbox oil all over the place you've got a leak - so it will need more than just topping up. My old Xantia in it's final days did something similar - but following an almighty bang from down below as I moved off one day! I exchanged the car for the C5 just days afterwards, so never found out exactly what went wrong. My guess, however, was that part of the differential broke up and flew through the housing, allowing gearbox oil to escape at a fast rate of knots!

Maybe it's as simple as someone leaving off a filler plug or something - but get it checked out asap because lack of oil could be very expensive.

Graeme
Berlingo HDi gearbox trouble - RichardW
On the old XUD boxes, the filler plug is in the end. Look at the end of the gearbox from behind the front LH wheel - you should see a larger bolt at about the 4 o'clock position - this is the filler / level plug. Oil should be filled to the plug. Most likely cause is that the driveshaft oil seals weren't replaced when the 'box was out - I'd be taking it back to where the clutch was done....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks Richard that's the info I was after.