Round the Island record - J Bonington Jagworth
Slightly tenuous connection to motoring, but I thought the petrol-heads might like to know that a boat has recently circumnavigated the Isle of Wight (60 miles) in 32 minutes. Having 16 litres of Lamborghini driving the propellors probably helped.

Given that it was limited to 90mph in the Solent (how petty is that?) this is a record that seems likely to stand for some time...

More here: www.mby.com/auto/newsdesk/20050729111853mbynews.ht...l
Round the Island record - frazerjp
I wonder if anybody as attempted the record for the quickest time round the M25 yet?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Round the Island record - Sofa Spud
Obviously it would be both dangerous and illegal to attempt a record quick trip round the M25, though a few Hooray Henries did this sort of thing soon after the orbital motorway was completed.
Some got into big trouble.

Much better is to go for a record of the longest time taken to get round the M25. The rules are that you must use a normal car or van, not leave the motorway and you must make reasonable progress when you can, driving at normal traffic speeds.
The aim is to get caught up in the longest tailbacks.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Round the Island record - AlastairW
If attempting the longest circumnavigation of the M25 I think it would be best to pack the following:
1. Kendal mint cake.
2. A porta potty.
3. Lots of Cds (you could learn a new language or something!)
Suspect the record will be well in excess of 48 hours...
Round the Island record - local yokel
Imagine the gpm on that (gallons/mile..) - I was on a fast patrol boat (HMS Sabre) in the 70s. She had diesels for slow speed, and twin Avon gas turbines (similar to the old Britannia airliner's engine)for fast speed. Did about 45 knots (52 ish mph) at full chat, and guzzled a gallon a minute. Was 108 feet long, and had a crew of about 10 - slightly more than the two men on the Island racer, I'd guess.
Round the Island record - AK76
how many miles is it to fully circumnavigate the M25?

Round the Island record - SjB {P}
how many miles is it to fully circumnavigate the M25?

From the original DOT promo brochure that I still have in pristine condition;

"The London Orbital is the world's longest city bypass. The actual motorway, circling London at a radius of between 13 and 22 miles (21-35km) from Charing Cross is 117 miles (188km) long."
Round the Island record - AK76
So feasibly you could do it in about an hour in something like a Porsche 911 Turbo at 2am......

Round the Island record - smokie
Not sure about an hour round the M25, but there used to be a time (!) when you could have done it for not much over a fiver... tinyurl.com/8efmb
Round the Island record - J Bonington Jagworth
"Imagine the gpm on that (gallons/mile..)"

Indeed. Marine consumption is usually quoted in gallons/hour, but gallons/minute might be more appropriate!

Powerboating was always a rich man's sport, but it must be getting more expensive by the day, at present...
Round the Island record - helicopter
In the paper the other day was a feature on one of Roman Abramovics yachts which had been filled with the wrong fuel in Malta - The cost of stripping or possibly even replacing the yacht engine ran into several million pounds.

How the other 0.0000000001% live .