Rover 218VVC Interior light. - Dave
A question for a mate. Probably best handled by the great Dave Lacey but comment from anyone with any ideas would be welcome.

The interior light in his Rover won't come on with the door switch.

The switch works because the lights-on warning works and the alarm recognises if the door isn't shut.

The bulb works because you can switch it on manually.

So what needs replacing?
Re: Rover 218VVC Interior light. - Richard Hall
Probably a bad contact in the switch in the light unit itself. Wiggling the switch with the door open should confirm this. Remove the light unit and clean the contacts with some very fine abrasive paper.
Re: Rover 218VVC Interior light. - Guy Lacey
.....?....? "...the great Dave Lacey..."

Oh please!
Re: Rover 218VVC Interior light. - Dave
I had a look at the wiring diagrams in my 414 haines manual and got this one nailed.

The outputs from the door sensors go to a peice of hardware called and MFU. (Multifunction Unit) the interior light is run of the output of the MFU.

When the switch pins are pulled low the output on the MFU pin for the interior light goes high. There is no relay.

I know these MFU units are a weak spot 'cos the one in my 414 is a bit dodgy. (Fortunately for me the timer components failed in such a way that everything still works - Rear window heater, Lights on warning & interior light just don't switch themselves off after a suitable delay)

So there you go. Problem resolved.

Sorry Guy! But Mr. DL has helped me an all my Rover owning friends more times than I can remember. Perhaps you're jealous 'cos of his luck with the ladies! ;-)
Re: Rover 218VVC Interior light. - David Lacey
Thanks for the kind comments Dave......

I was going to mention the MFU - it is a bit of a weak point indeed.

I would, first of all swap the o/s door switch with the n/s door switch - even as it appears to be working OK, just to check.

Otherwise (on the back of the fusebox) replace the MFU. Not too expensive IIRC.

Kind regards

David (Been a bit busy developing his own MG-Rover Forum elsewhere...)