mazda v6 - lost???
Have hust changed the HT leads and spark plugs oy 1994 mazda mx-3 v6 and noticed oil in thw spark plug hole??? have been told it could be the valve cover gasket? any ideas? is this a garage only fix?????
mazda v6 - horatio
I've never seen a Mazda, so pinch of salt with my advice.

Yes the oil in the plug wells is because your rocker cover/cam cover gasket has failed somewhere.

Getting it fixed depends on your level of capability.

I did mine myself on a Vauxhall 2.0litre DOHC

It is fairly straight forward on a Vauxhall to do this, you just undo all the (about 8 of) small M6 camcover retaining bolts, take off cover
remove old seal
clean everything
put new seal into place

On a vauxhall this involved using a special sealant (from vaux) which was spread over the rear half moon camshaft bearings?

Then refit cover carefully (so seal does not dislodge.
and tighten down in correct order to required torque.

If you're going to do it make sure you have a haynes book to read about it.

Otherwise just get a backstreet garage to do it for 25 quid plus parts.
mazda v6 - horatio
Yours may have a separate cover for each camshaft which makes it much easier. Determine which side is leaking, remove cover WHich should be flat faced all round (no half moons). change seal and replace....simple job

Determine where the leak is
Determine whether you have a single cover for both sides of the engine, or do you have two covers, one on each side.

See if the mating face of your cover is flat all the way around..you might see the gasket too is it cork or rubber?
mazda v6 - horatio
When i say separate cover each side, you probably do have this because it is a V6 ..question is are they single cam covers each side or Dual cam covers each side.....I'm looking for a picture of your engine but no luck so far.
mazda v6 - horatio
I think this is your engine?

www.probedb.co.uk/display_picture.php?id=131_579.j...g

If so, are your plugs ok /dry on one side and 3 plugs oiled on the other side?

I hope it's the front of the engine which has the oil, obviously if it's the rear of the engine it will be more difficult to access, the cam cover.

This sort of cam cover is the more difficult becuase you will have cam bearings to work around and you will need a sealant.

If you have the book anyway see what it says. for this in a small garage you might get the front one done for 25 pounds labour or the rear one done for about 35 pounds. or more I dunno.
mazda v6 - horatio
And a question to BR's Why is this engine described as DOHC and not DDOHC Double Dual Overhead Cam.

I suppose the 'V6' part of the engine name means that it will be a DDOHC so they just say 'V6 DOHC' which means it has 4 cams.