Diesel revs - DaveKent
I have a 1997 1.8 Mondeo diesel that I bought not long ago. This is my first diesel car and I was wondering do you give it more revs inbetween gear changes, less, or is the same a petrol car?

I know it might sound a silly question to all you in the know out there, but I havent a scooby doo!!

Regards,

Dave
Diesel revs - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Find out what revs the maximum engine torque is developed.
Attempt to keep the engine at those revs in each gear for max performance and economy.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Diesel revs - bikemade3
Definately agree with that advice. I take my 97 TD to the red line once a week and feel the governor kick in. Don't do it if you are not sure of the belts thou' get them changed.Local Ford dealer did mine with a anti freeze change at the end of 2003 for £220 all in. Dependent on the month of registration they are due at either 40k ( do at 35K) or 60K.

Taking mine to the limit once a week has done absolutely no damage and soot emission is negligeable.
Diesel revs - P3t3r
I don't think the other people have really answered your question. I haven't driven a diesel since I learnt to drive. However, when I change gear I always try to match the revs. So when the clutch is re-engaged it doesn't have any work to do.

Really it's what sounds, and feels right. If you look at the rev counter (or listen if there isn't a rev counter) when you're doing say 30mph in 2nd, then that's the rpm you'll want to be doing inbetween a downchange to 2nd gear, at 30mph. Do that perfectly each time and you probably won't even feel the gear change.

I think the revs depend entirely on the gearing, and speed. Diesels usually reach max power at much lower revs though so on average when you're accelerating it will be doing lower revs.
Diesel revs - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Well Dave Kents message can also be interpreted as if he wants to do double declutching! Sure some old timers can give advice.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Diesel revs - David Horn
Only time I double de-clutch is the change down from 3rd to 2nd on a steep hill near my home.

Must disagree with the comment about keeping the engine speed in the max torgue band. In a town at 30mph, in 2nd gear the car is doing around 3000rpm, which I assume (1.9TD XUD) is about the right place. However, I suspect it probably uses far less fuel to run along in 4th gear, barely touching the accelerator.
Diesel revs - RichardW
Actually, it's inbetween - max engine efficiency occurs at max torque, which is about 2000 rpm on the XUDT, which nicely coincides with 30 mph in 3rd.

Back to the original post, the changes in revs are approximately the same as petrol engines, but the usuable rev range is much lower, ie 1500 - 3500 rpm.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Diesel revs - top turkey
Whilst I think you comment regarding 4th is true, I would prefer to be in second or third in a 30 mph limit only so that I'm in a more responsive gear (assuming I'm not at the 30 mph limit) for both accelerating and using 'acceleration' sense to help stop. If, for any reason, you needed a little speed to get out of any trouble, I'd rather have second gear than fourth!

Just my comments anyway.

:-)
--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
Diesel revs - Villaman
Dave,

I tend to rev my 98 Verona between 1900 and 3200.
Any more than this tends to be a bit loud!
4000 is about your max though, after that the power tails off rapidly as you approach self destruct.