VW Golf 1.4 ryder (synthetic oil ) - den_p
Hi I have A VW Golf 1.4 ryder that has done 130,000 miles. I`ve just had an oil and filter change at national tyres and discoverd that they have used synthetic oil (duckhams visco 7000 fully synthetic) I have never used synthetic oil before. Is it possible that this could cause damage i.e. dislodge baked-on deposits from mineral oils or affect gasgets and seals etc. I`m sure I read someware (can`t find the article)that its not reccomended on such an old engine. The engine uses about half A pint of oil between changes (every 3500 miles)and does not have any oil leaks. I`m going on A 150 mile journey in two days time and I don`t want to break down. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, David Gough.
VW Golf 1.4 ryder (synthetic oil ) - MW
If you have changed the oil every 3,500 miles, I suspect the inside of the engine loks like a mirror so there is probably little muck to dislodge. I would not worry. After all if I said it is a serious problem, would you immediately change it; of course not. Generally speaking in such a clean engine, relish the extra protection.