Rover KV6 - corky
Car is 1997 Rover Sterling with replacement 2.5 KV6 engine (obtained in September, 2001, from Rover 49K miles ago). One day it sounded a bit lumpy so arranged compression check and to reassure myself that the gasket problems I suffered with the previous engine had been corrected with the replacement engine. The Rover dealer who did the check told me that there was zero compression on cylinder no. 4 and down to 80 on no. 3. There doesn't appear to be real loss of power. The remainder are at 175 which I understand is the correct amount. Had the emissions checked and they are all ok. There doesn't appear to be any emulsification around the filler cap or on the dipstick. What I have noticed is that, when I do check the oil level (even after it has been standing overnight), it is difficult to get a clear reading. There is oil all the way up the dipstick, with just slightly more in between the high and low markers (it was serviced 2k miles ago).
Can someone advise what the problem might be, or, perhaps make recommendations as to what other investigation may help to pinpoint the problem? If its just valves or gasket blown, then I might be prepared get the work done, if its liner problem, rings or corrosion on the block, then I guess I should just get rid.
All advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Corky

Rover KV6 - Xileno {P}
What's the coolant looking like? Nice and clean, or contaminated with oil?

Maybe worth getting the garage to stick their sniffer in the coolant tank, to check it's all ok in there.
Rover KV6 - madf
run the engine and when warm, feel the top hose (carefully) If it's stiff it has been compressed by exhaust gasses. Does not prove you don't have a HGF tho:-(

madf

Rover KV6 - corky
Thanks for your comment. Took it today for second check on compression [to Southern Engines in Charlton;-Alan the owner was very helpful] and the guilty cylinders are confirmed to be the back facing pots (though pressure does build up a minimal amount after a a few seconds). Front ones' compressions are good. Alan at SE tells me that there is some water vapour coming out of the exhaust (which shouldn't be the case when the engine was warm]. I should add that i did have a CO2 check and was advised that it was sufficiently clean to pass the MoT.
Oil is clean and water clean in header tank. Does not appear to be losing water if at all.
No back compression coming up the dipstick tube, nor out to the oil filler cap.
If it's a head or gasket problem, I might have it repaired, but if it's block/pistons/liner/rings problem then it adds am additional cost dimension.
Does the additional info help with the diagnosis?
Temperature gauge rised to normal after 2-4 miles, and doesnot go beyond that at anytime either in motorway traffic or in city traffic.
agioan thanks,
Corky

Rover KV6 - Civic8
Sounds like a cracked head to me?
--
Steve
Rover KV6 - Cyd
Corky,
Did either of the testers do a second test with a small amount of oil poured in through the spark plug hole? If you do this and the compression comes up then it's a rings/bores problem. If the compression remains at zero it's a head problem.

The only other way to determine if it's head or bottom end is to take the head off.

take a look at:
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-825-V6-SHORT-ENGINE-BRAND-NEW...m
and
cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-ROVER-825-STERLING-KV6-ENGINE_...m

It does sound like it could be a cracked or porous head. If this is the case you will need a replacement head. It might be worth going for the complete engine advertised above - that way, whatever you need can be stripped off it and the rest sold on. An economical repair route IMO.
Rover KV6 - Civic8
>>tells me that there is some water vapour coming out of the exhaust (which shouldn't be the case when the engine was warm

steam from the exhaust is possible even with engine hot,it suggests build up of water in the exhaust without exhaust reaching its full temp,ie short runs.If you have travelled behind a car that pours water out of the exhaust,its because the exhaust does not get hot enough to evaporate the water.so it builds up and escapes through tailpipe
--
Steve
Rover KV6 - Colonel Panic
Maybe the gas is going into the oil, and the pressure being vented through the PCV system? That maybe why there is no pressure from the dipstick tube, because it's not a closed system. Can you remove the pcv pipe with the engine running?