after-market side rubbing strips - glowworm
Many new cars now either have no side protector strips or else they're not where they will do any good.

My new Yaris has none and I'd be keen to place them on the part of the door where the car is widest. Unfortunately I can't find any supplier of these, does any one know of a source?
after-market side rubbing strips - blue_haddock
Toyota used to have these as a dealer fit option but for some reason they no longer offer them.

However you can still get sets for the Yaris Verso and these fit just fine on a normal Yaris.
after-market side rubbing strips - Bill Payer
There must surely be a market for large inflatable rubber tubes that you can wrap around the car while it's parked!
after-market side rubbing strips - borasport20
There must surely be a market for large inflatable rubber tubes
that you can wrap around the car while it's parked!

Elsewhere in these fora, there's a discussion going on about pedestrian safety, and how much one would or wouldn't pay for increased pedestrian safety. I think the general consensus is 'not a lot'

But I suspect if a manufacturer were able to offer as an option, something that was a cross between a rubbing strip and an airbag (copyright +pat pending me, now) at £200/£300 it would be a real consideration on a new car