Computer Related Questions - Volume 64 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 65 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=34494

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 64. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

PDA with GPS Sat Navigation - Stuartli
Anyone looking for a PDA with sat/nav might be interested in this link for a Mitac Mio 268 which has been reduced to £245.58 including VAT:

tinyurl.com/co53e

Not something I've ever really been craving for so can't vouch for its competence against other models, but Mitac is a respected brand name.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
PDA with GPS Sat Navigation - Citroënian {P}
Thanks, my Dad was looking for just such a thing and TomTom Go looks a bit expensive. Will check it out.
-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Copying Contents of Inbox in Outlook - Nsar
I've done a forum search but can't seem to find this subject.

I want to copy the contents of my in-box onto CD as a back up, a nitwits guide would be most welcome.
Copying Contents of Inbox in Outlook - No FM2R
Microsoft Outlook ?

If so, look for the .pst file. Its probably in the Documents and Settings tree. Copy that file.
You said a nitwits guide...

Use Windows Explorer. Click on "Search" and look for All Files with *.PST as the file name.

When you find one or more, click and drag them onto the CD icon to copy them.

A nitwit writes....

I have 2920 messages in my inbox - is there a way to copy them in one go, otherwise I might lose the will to live
Mmm, those instructions above will do it.

The only exception would be if you did not have an off-line file and kept your main .pst file on a server.

In which case you would go into Microsoft Outlook, File, New, Personal Data File and choose a name - this will create a local file for you.

Then go to the inbox, select all messages (ctrl-a) and then drag them to the new personal file. This will copy them all to a local .pst file and you then revert to the instructions above.
Searched for .pst files, none there
Copying Contents of Inbox in Outlook - Altea Ego
probably because you are using outlook express. - search the web for very good and cheap outlook express back up tools
No, Outlook, not Outlook Express
Are you using it with a server or standalone on a PC ?

Which version of Outlook ? (in Outlook click help/about)

Which operating system ? (XP, 2000, NT, W98 etc. etc)
On a n/work running on a Mac OS/X server

O/look 2003

XP Pro
About Macs I know nothing, but assuming its similar...

Outlook can run standalone where it holds all its files, including the .pst file, on the server. This obviously means that your files are relatively safe and secure, but it means that if the network goes down you have no access to your archive.

However, unless its specifically disabled, and it can be fairly easily, you have the ability to create a local .pst file. Follow the instructions I mentioned above. And then you can copy all your existing e-mails into that folder. This will mean that you now have a local copy. This local copy can be on a local disk, CD or pretty much anywhere else you want it.

However, if your Outlook has .pst files on the server, then I guess you are not concerned about the security of that file since I would expect it to be backed up along with everything else on the network. Therefore I assume that you are trying to guard against local deletion, or your network has quotas enforced and you are trying to avoid hitting the ceiling.

If you are not using network .pst files, and you can find no local .pst file (hidden or otherwise) then the only other alternative is that your network has something along the lines of KVS implemented. In which case you can do pretty much nothing locally.

If none of that helps, then I'me afraid I don't know what to suggest.
>>Outlook can run standalone where it holds all its files, including the .pst file, on the server.

it lost a line, I think I hit the wrong button - it should have read.......

"Outlook can run standalone where it holds all its files, including the .pst file, locally or it can run as part of a network where it stores all its files [except that it will not usually hold a .pst file on the network, it is normally within a single database, on the server.
Copying Contents of Inbox in Outlook - smokie
Import and Export (under File Menu) is a great tool for doing this, and is designed for this kind of purpose. Export it to a .pst file somewhere (or even directly onto your CD).

For Outlook, there is a Backup add-in specifically for Outlook (but it's version dependent - the 2002 version is herre tinyurl.com/bl5vm). You can configure how often it does it, and it will prompt you before backing up your mail files as you exit Outlook at teh desired frequency.

Beware of depending on other backup programs, especially if you are doing unattended backups in a scheduled fashion. If Outlook is open they will not usually be able to back up your mail files.

Outlook files are generally in the following places (Windows version dependent) - they may be Hidden files:

Windows 98: drive:\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows Me: drive:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows NT 4.0: drive:\Winnt\Profiles\ \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows 2000: drive:\Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I tried the export thing and it seemed to go well until I moved the icon across and it produced a "encountered a problem retry/cancel" message and the files wouldn't fly across - if you get my drift. Any suggestions?

It seems such an obvious thing to do, can't quite understand why it seems so obscure a process
Not sure what you mean by moving an icon. On my version:

File, Import and Export, choose Export to a File.

Choose .pst as File Type to create

Select the folder(s) you wish to export, and check the box if you want the subfolders (easiest is to select Personal Folders as that contains most other folders)

Enter a location to save the exported file, and select which option you want (if saving to a new file, use Replace Duplicates with items exported), click Finish

Give it a name and click OK and he file will be made.

Then you can back up that file.

Copying Contents of Inbox in Outlook - mfarrow
Searched for .pst files, none there

If you're not on a server, it's probably in a hidden folder. When you do the search, click on "More advanced options" and check the box "Search hidden files and folders".

--------------
Mike Farrow
Smokie - "Not sure what you mean by moving an icon" I've managed to get the inbox onto my desktop showing as an outlook icon - it hokds about 300mb which is about right, but when I open the write CD folder I need to drag the icon across to write the files - this is what it won't let me do.

Mfarrow - I am on a server but the inbox sits on my c drive. Did the hidden folders thing

Thanks for all suggestions to date
So you found the hidden file using Windows Explorer and then tried to drag into the CD ?

I presume that the CD is ready, has sufficient unallocated space, etc. etc. ?

Did it give any further details of the error ?

Perhaps you had Outlook open at the time and it was locking the file preventing the copy command accessing the file ?

BTW, the .pst file usually holds all your e-mails, not just the inbox.
In that case...

Create yourself a new offline folder and drag and drop all the emails to it within Outlook. Close Outlook to unlock the file then back that file up.

If you ever need to restore, close Outlook and restore the file to it's original location.

File/Data File Management/Add
Type = .pst
Select a location (which is what you need to back up)
managed to create the back up file by the export process and closing outlook even let me copy it to CD - progress! But.....I can't open it - it ofers to use the web to find an application to open it which takes me to MS Outlook site but which doesn't seem to offer any info on opening .pst files. It does have a back-up download - but when I run it and choose my CD drive as the destination for the back-up it says invalid file name. aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

.pst files are openable by Outlook (and possibly other mail client software).

Not sure why you are trying to open it, but you will need to select Outlook from the list of programs. However I would strongly warn against this.

So long as the file is of a reasonable size, and has the extension .pst at the end, then you *should* be able to Import from it (Import from another program or file, type = Personal Folder (.pst), browse to your new file, select the folders you want to import.

You would be OK to set up a new folder in Outlook, change to that folder in Outlook then Import to Current Folder if you wanted to test your backup file. However do all of this cautiously, selecting just a small folder to import - if you import to the wrong place, at best you could end up with duplicates of existing items and at worst screw everything up!

I was just trying to check the data was there and accessible, before I needed it.

I work off a laptop and when my last one was stolen it made my life hell for a while, hence my desire to have access to a back up on a different machine.
Copying Contents of Inbox in Outlook - cheddar
I am on 98SE and Outlook 2000, I have an external 250mb USB Zip drive that my PC sees as a hard drive (D: as it happens), I back up email by exporting the .pst files to the Zip, in Outlook I can access either the realtime or archived files at anytime.
Converting WTP files to plain text ? - Petel
My sister has several 3.5 floppys done as WPT files on a Brother word processor. She has no conversion software for the machine. Can anyone please advise how I can convert these to plain text so that they can be read on Win 98 or XP ( laptop or PC ) Is there anything already on 98/XP to do this or will I have to locate some suitable software ?
Any assistance much appreciated.
Thank you Pete.
Converting WTP files to plain text ? - Altea Ego
Windows cant handle it (WPT is now used as an MS Word back up file) And they are not saved in an asci format so you cant read them as text..

YOu need to go here

www.luxsoft.demon.co.uk/lux/bconv.html

Converting WTP files to plain text ? - smokie
Only with some software I think. See

tinyurl.com/876fm

Converting WTP files to plain text ? - Petel
I thank you both for your replys. Will have to look further into this matter
Rgds, Pete.
Satellite Broadband - any experience - Nsar
I can't get b/band at home - rural area.
I'm thinking of satellite broadband as dial up is costing me a lot each month and it is of course (fill in your own rude word here)
Any satellite users out there?
Satellite Broadband - any experience - Stuartli
I would suspect that dialup would seem remarkably cheap in contrast.

BT does a business version:

www.btopenworld.com/satellite/our_satellite_servic...l

and this story was on bbc.co.uk three years ago(!):

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1931217.stm

Check out offers here:

www.broadbandchecker.co.uk/

Don't know where you live but Wales has its own plans:

www.wda.co.uk/index.cfm/technology_and_innovation/...3

This company (Bridge Broadband) appears to have died a death (its website won't open):

www.connectel.co.uk/telco_list.asp?iid=47&eid=&m=&...0

Satellite Broadband - any experience - Adam {P}
You've got to ask yourself if Satellite BB is worth an initial outlay of a grand and then 60 quid a month.
--
Adam
Satellite Broadband - any experience - Galaxy
I have a friend who lives in a rural area in Lincoln who was using Satellite Broadband for a while. It was very expensive and did cause him several different problems, can't remember all the details now, but it wasn't very user friendly, I know.

However, he found out that one of his neighbours, who works in the computer industry, now had normal broadband. My friend had previously tried to obtain this, but without any success.

However, it now appears that BT have had a change of policy.

They will now test individual phonelines to see whether they are BB suitable, rather than just do one single test for an area and give a yes/no answer.

In my friends case his line is suitable, but he can only have 512 KB, not 1MB. Still, it's a lot better and cheaper than the Satellite BB system he was previously using.

Suggest you make some enquiries.

Good Luck!
>>but he can only have 512 KB>>

..and still up to 10x faster than dialup...:-)
Satellite Broadband - any experience - daveyjp
Have you tried something like onspeed? It speeds up your dial up connection by compressing data, costs £25 a year. I've installed it on my home machine and it makes a real difference to the download speeds.
I installed the go-faster download from Tiscali but it seemed to make everything go slower so I took it out again.
Anyone else used Onspeed or similar?
I regard ONSpeed as similar to the Emperor's new clothes....

A straightforward Internet Explorer Registry tweak gives pretty much the same result with dialup or BB.

Cost. A bit of time.

One source is: www.tweakxp.com/article37086.aspx

If you have Firefox, then downloading FineTune Firefox from:

www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm

will save a lot of manual configuration in about:config with just a click or two of your mouse button.

Cost. A tiny download and a bit of time.
Interesting - how do you open the registry?
Start>Run> (type in) Regedit>Press OK.

But don't mess around if you are not confident enough to do so.
Satellite Broadband - any experience - Citroënian {P}
>>But don't mess around if you are not confident enough to do so.

Really, don't. If you don't even know how to get into it be very cautious. You can very easily cause a major amount of damage in the registry
Satellite Broadband - any experience - Dalglish
the Emperor's new clothes....
A straightforward Internet Explorer Registry tweak gives
pretty much the same result with dialup or BB.

>>

yes, couldn't agree more. the tweaks you mention are just emporer's new clothes.

your dial up speed will never go up beyond what the isp limits it to.

isn't it like saying that if you add more mains taps in your house, the maximum rate of water flowing through the mains pipe in your house will somehow magically go up.
>>the tweaks you mention are just emperor's new clothes.>>

Er, sorry.

They are NOT the emperor's new clothes.

If you were properly aware of the tweaks you would realise you are way off the mark.

It's nothing to do with dial up speeds; in fact ONSpeed is involved/based on compression aspects.

The tweak I highlighted has been around for several years and I used it for almost as long until switching to Firefox about nine months ago.
Satellite Broadband - any experience - Dalglish
has been around for several years

>>

yes, only since the limit was imposed within ie6.

your link
www.tweakxp.com/article37086.aspx
shows how to enable more "taps" than the default two at your pc.
"Allow more than 2 simultaneous downloads in IE 6"

it does absolutely nothing to increase the isp's maximum allowed download speeds.

all smoke and mirrors stuff. fools gold.
This was the original link for me taking on board the tweak several years ago:

www.the-scream.co.uk/html/resources/ie_reg_tweak.h...l

I've had hundreds of e-mails from people from many parts of the world expressing their gratitude and that includes Telegraph readers....:-)
PS

It's still better value than £25 a year for ONSpeed....
PS

IE 6 prevents, by default, downloading more than two file downloads at once. What the tweak does is to allow up to 10 simultaneous downloads at a time - simple, but effective.
Trojan horse - help needed - $till $kint
Has anyone come across "World Antispy"? This annoying little thing has got past AVG and installed itself on my laptot. That's like a laptop only hotter. It keeps triggering what appears to be a false "Windows Security Centre" screen that then sends you off to a website to pay muchos muchos $$$ for a registered version of World Antispy to rid yourself of spyware. Devious little monkeys.

AVG screams "VIRUS!" each time this runs and recommends you take the "delete file" option but it keeps replicating itself.

It's an Athlon XP(m)2400 with 1024Mb of ram. I'm running XP home edition with SP2 installed and use AVG, updated twice a day, for antivirus. I removed Norton Firewall as it acted like an anchor on the system and have been relying on XP's own firewall. I suspect there are collective intakes of breath at this point. I connect to the internet using a WiFi network and AOL.

All suggestions short of setting fire to the laptop would be appreciated.
Trojan horse - help needed - No FM2R
I think this one resides in memory. Take the delete file option and then pull the plug out before it writes memory to disk.

If that doesn't do it, I'll have a closer look and a better think.

I seem to recall that your fench is passable ??

www.multi-hardware.com/MHBB/mess.php3?f=4&t=2673&c...i
Trojan horse - help needed - No FM2R
p.s. "fench" is like "french" but the accent is easier to do.
There are worse ways of describing the language. Thanks for those ideas. I'll get on to the linked site as soon as I'm away from my desk in this rabbit hutch with it's corporate firewall policy suitable for kindergarten.

Still, I bet they haven't got this Trojan on their servers.
Trojan horse - help needed - Dalglish
still skint, try these

www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/16383.ht...l

www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Viruses/Q_21...l

www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/wwwboard.html
Thanks Dalglish. I think the first link contained the answer.
Powertoys (for XP) Timershot - John R @ home {P}
Hi Guys 'n Gals,

I have installed MS Powertoys for XP and nearly all seem fine but...

Timershot says "No Device Available..." and can't find my web cam or indeed any devices as the dropdown list buton does not seem to have any listed devices in it.

Has any one any ideas on getting this toy working?

PS. the web cam is fine and works with MSN Messenger 7, Paintshop Pro etc.

Regards,

John R @ Home
Anybody ????

Regards,

John R @ Home
Powertoys (for XP) Timershot - Stuartli
It seems to be a common problem with Creative webcams to the forefront.

One solution listed is to use WebcamFirst, a freeware program:

www.sofotex.com/WebcamFirst-download_L1716.html
Thanks Stuart, I'll download & try that...

Regards,

John R @ Home
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
When running various checks on my PC eg Spybot Search and Destroy, I get problem results throwing up the name DyFuCA, is this a problem? Should I be worried?

My PC seems to be working ok.

Is it worth upgrading Registry Mechanic? I run the freeware version.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated

Don
DyFuCA Problem? - Stuartli
It's apparently a Trojan porndialler.

See:

www.antivirusworld.com/articles/dyfuca.php

www.doxdesk.com/parasite/InternetOptimizer.html

www.iamnotageek.com/a/386-p1.php

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/a...l
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
It's apparently a Trojan porndialler.
See:
www.antivirusworld.com/articles/dyfuca.php
www.doxdesk.com/parasite/InternetOptimizer.html
www.iamnotageek.com/a/386-p1.php
securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/a...l
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for that Stuartli, it seems it is for me and won't pass me by!

I can find nothing in the Registry, nor is there any trace in the Add/remove in Control Panel. However I am still getting virus alerts in AVG

Keep battling, I suppose?

Don
DyFuCA Problem? - Adam {P}
What have you been up to Don? ;-)

Is there nothing in Program files? That first link of Stuart's seems pretty comprehensive.
--
Adam
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
What have you been up to Don? ;-)
Is there nothing in Program files? That first link of Stuart's
seems pretty comprehensive.
--
Adam

Me? Up to anything? I wish.

Actually, I think it's all your fault - I clicked on a link in: Unusual Sightings Vol. 5. It all went wrong from there.

Don
Oh really?

Before you go poking around in the registry, go to C:\Program Files and see if a folder named DyFuCA is there.

--
Adam
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
Adam, you beat me to it. I have looked in program files and downloaded program files, but I can't see anything untoward in there.

To be honest, I don't really know what I am looking for!

Don
You've worried me now that you've said downloaded them.

When you go into Program files you'll see a lot of folders in alphabetical order.

According to Stuart's link, there *should* be a folder entitled "DyFuCA".

I take it that there isn't one called that there?
--
Adam
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
You've worried me now that you've said downloaded them.
When you go into Program files you'll see a lot of
folders in alphabetical order.
According to Stuart's link, there *should* be a folder entitled "DyFuCA".
I take it that there isn't one called that there?
--
Adam

>

Sorry - I meant "Program Files" and "Downloaded Program Files"

There isn't a file called "DyFuCA"

Don
I know you said you couldn't find anything in Add Remove Programs but is there anything called "Internet Optimiser"?

Also, use the Windows search facility to search firstly for a folder called

DyFuCA

and then do another search for a file called

Adware.NetOptimizer

--
Adam
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
I know you said you couldn't find anything in Add Remove
Programs but is there anything called "Internet Optimiser"?
Also, use the Windows search facility to search firstly for a
folder called
DyFuCA
and then do another search for a file called
Adware.NetOptimizer
--
Adam

Right. Done that. No, no sign of any files or folders answering those names.

Thanks for your efforts.
Don
I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas. One of the others may be better equipped to help you but reading Stuart's second link,

Removal

Open the ‘Downloaded Program Files’ folder (which can be found in the Windows folder), and delete the entry for ‘NSUpdateLiteCtrl Class’ (NSUpdate variant), ‘NSLiteUpdateCtrl Class’ (NSLitevariant), ‘MoneyTree Dialer’ (UniDist variant), ‘MultiDist’ (MultiDist variant), or ‘Software Update Manager’ (DyFuCA variant).

Other than that, I'm afraid I've no idea. Did Spybot not delete it when it found it?
--
Adam
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
Other than that, I'm afraid I've no idea. Did Spybot not
delete it when it found it?
--
Adam

Thanks Adam.

Yes Spybot did remove it, but perhaps it can regenerate itself?

I am afraid that I am out of my depth. The only good thing is that so far - touch wood - it doesn't actually seem to be affecting the running of the computer (famous last words)

Thanks again for your's and Stuartli's posts.

Don
Don,

I await for someone to correct me but I think this particular piece of software isn't as malicious as others. I think Spybot has done a first rate job in getting rid of it and I'm pretty sure it will stay gone providing you don't go on..ahem those site again ;-)

I wouldn't advise messing around in the registry but that probably isn't needed as all of Stuart's links give the locations of where it writes itself to. It isn't there on yours so I'd be tempted to say it's gone.
--
Adam
DyFuCA Problem? - drbe
I'm pretty sure it will stay gone providing
you don't go on..ahem those site again ;-)
--
Adam

Just for the record, I didn't go on....ahem THOSE sites. I clicked on a link on a thread on this forum. It didn't download anything I considered untoward. Thank you for all your help, and yes, I did see the smiley.

Don
Toshiba laptop serial mouse ?? - Petel
Can anyone out there please confirm, if Toshiba produced a small or miniature mouse to be used with the Satellite and Sat Pro laptops ? This should be a serial mouse (not USB) and should be the same light grey coloured plastic as the laptops themselves. If anyone has one of these, could you please advise if there is a name or part number on it?
Thank you, Pete.
Toshiba laptop serial mouse ?? - Stuartli
It appears to be a generic 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) mouse.

Something on these lines?

tinyurl.com/cblgu (Toshiba website - manufacturer's website should always be first port of call)

online.iscnet.co.uk/product2.asp?SKU=PX1044E-1NAC

www.findmecomputers.co.uk/accessories_Labtec.htm
Toshiba laptop serial mouse ?? - Petel
Thanks for your reply Stewart. However, the items illustrated are geared toward the later models of laptop, such as the Tecra and in the darker grey plastic.
Thank you again.
Problems printing web pages - Armitage Shanks {p}
Please help, I know there is an answer but I don't have it! When I go on line and find a web page that I want to print it usually prints with about 2 inches clipped off the right hand edge so one loses the last 2 or 3 words of each line of the text. If I download and save it, it then prints full size but with the pictures missing. There is an area where they should be but blank with a small red cross in the corner. I have found a page which I really need, with full text and the pictures. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this one!
Problems printing web pages - borasport20
quick and dirty fix - set your printer to landscape. You'll end up with more than one page, but usually you get the whole width.

What browser are you using ?

Problems printing web pages - Armitage Shanks {p}
Borasport - you are a hero! That worked a treat, thank you very much! Is there another fix, not that I am ungrateful for that one??!!
Copying contents from one PC to another - andymc {P}
I have bought a very basic but reasonably up-to-date PC to replace my 6 year old paperweight (ok, it was working reasonably, but no USB ports, processor slower than a lame donkey) and I want to copy the contents of the old hard drive across to the newer machine. I have the cable that should connect the two hard drives together, and I *think* I should be able to work it out, but I have a few things I want to check first.

Firstly, how do I earth myself properly? Don't want to fry anything with static.

Secondly, in order to copy the contents of the old drive, do I allow Windows to load on each machine, or do I go into the Bios on one or both of them? (I may have just given the impression that I really know what I'm talking about here - this is misleading).

Thirdly, will I end up with a folder on the HD of my new PC containing everything from my old PC, or will (for example) programmes like Norton System Doctor be loaded into the new machine?

Fourthly, is there any other precaution I should take? Backup of new machine probably not necessary, as I've only copied the contents of my iPod onto it and nothing more, but there are only programmes, not information on it. The old machine contains things like emails I want to keep, MS Word documents, etc.

Finally, I have a spare 12 GB hard drive which would be worth installing on the newer machine as a second drive, as it only has 20 GB. Can anyone supply a link to the total idiot's guide for doing this, or describe how to do it? Now that I think of it, the box of the new machine is quite tall, it may even have room to install the old 4 GB hard drive. However, I may wish to keep the old machine running as a separate unit, so above questions still apply.

Many thanks in advance, and my personal guarantee of a *real* pint (or five) to anyone who helps and is willing to come to Co. Antrim to drink them ...

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Copying contents from one PC to another - Dalglish
Can anyone supply a link to the total idiot's guide for doing
this

>>

try the bootcamp archives of the daily telegraph's "connected" pages at

www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?menuId=15...0

this one may help to clone your old hd to your new hd
www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/conn...l

otherwise, look up bootcamps 309 and upwards.

if this reply helps you, you are welcome to drink my pint on my behalf.

Copying contents from one PC to another - Adam {P}
and I'll have Dalglish's remaining 4.

Job done :-)
--
Adam
Sony PSP - Citroënian {P}
Thought it worth posting that the PSP works fine here with its browser:this post is from a wi.fi PSP!
Sony PSP - Adam {P}
Damn you to hell Lee.

I've been resisting the urge. That's it. I've had enough.

I'm getting one.

Can you write a more detailed (honest) review for me please when you get the chance?
--
Adam
Well it took about ten minutes to write that post, but the device itself is amazing - mine came with Ridge Racer (Computing & cars!! no babble here) and the graphics have to be seen to be believed. When I saw that the very latest version (and hence the UK one) included a browser, that was it. Had to have it.

Only downside is the position of the analogue joystick is too low down to use for very long with any degree of comfort.

The standard value pack comes with a neoprene case, memory stick 32Mb, screen cleaner, headphones and remote control. If you have a Sony USBable digital camera or Sony digital video camera it uses the same cable. Will probably need to get a bigger Memory stick Pro Duo card to fathom the video stuff.

I really like this thing - you will too Adam(!) but I suspect that if you have kids, this thing is the coolest distraction they could have on a journey!

Off back to RR now, doing the world tour... :-)

Sony PSP - Adam {P}
That's it. You should be a gadget salesman Lee. You'd make a living purely by telling me about the damn things!

Thanks for the help,
--
Adam
>>You should be a gadget salesman Lee

I do like gadgets but would starve if I became a salesman!

Forgot to mention it also has a strap with it (white for some reason) - and the battery life using a game is ~3 hours so for long journeys a car adapter would be useful.

Hack to stop CF card PDA power drain? - SjB {P}
As regular BRers will know from my posts, I travel abroad a lot with my work and find my iPAQ2210 with TomTom5 and SysOnChip CF card antenna to be excellent; with only one wire (the power supply to the iPAQ) and with the antenna sitting in the CF port, it is highly portable. It is also fast, reliable, and all round perfect for the job, especially as being a PDA I can also do most of the other things you'd expect of a computer rather than just having an 'all in one navigation box' such as a TomTom GO. Sometimes I even leave my laptop at home as it is redundant.

It does however have one feature that is becoming a nuisance; For reasons of speed and convenience I like to jump out of a hire car, switch the iPAQ 'off' (I know that in fact it is still 'on'), place it in my jacket pocket with the CF antenna still inserted, and walk away.

This is fine except the battery drains MUCH faster with the SysOnChip still inserted than if I leave it resting gently in the CF slot but physically and electrically disconnected. This is theoretically fine, but sometimes when I do this the antenna drops down and reconnects itself due to the movement of walking. If I then simply hang up my jacket at the hotel without checking the iPAQ, I find that the next day the battery will be almost flat. Without this drain the iPAQ can happily go for 72 hours between charges.

So, is there a registry hack or something I can do to ensure that when the iPAQ is switched off (remember I know it is actually still 'on') the CF card is electronically disconnected even though it is physically still connected?

I have had no response from other PDA fora or from SysOnChip in Taiwan themsleves.

The operating system is Pocket PC 2003.

TVM.
Hack to stop CF card PDA power drain? - Citroënian {P}
I'm guessing the iPaq will power whatever it finds by default (as it is here).

Would it be too possible to just unplug and put the GPS somewhere else when it's not in use? Seems the easiest solution.

Would it be too possible to just unplug and put the GPS somewhere else when it's not in use? Seems the easiest solution.

Sure, of course thanks Lee, but I don't like leaving the CF socket open to the elements so to speak, and grubbing around in my pocket for the diddy little plastic cover is not really what I want to do. Neither do I want to rummage in my laptop bag for the rigid metal sunglass case that I keep the antenna it to protect it from dust or physical damage.

What I really want to do is find a way of switching the antenna on and off in harmony with the iPAQ power switch.
Hack to stop CF card PDA power drain? - Citroënian {P}
Yes, I see what you mean.

You mention other PDA forums - but have you tried pocketgps.co.uk? There's some really useful people and info over there.

Good luck with finding the solution!
You mention other PDA forums - but have you tried pocketgps.co.uk?

Thanks Lee, but pocketgps was my first port of call.
Not a single reply.

Cheers anyway.
Hack to stop CF card PDA power drain? - Stuartli
I'm not familiar with such a product but is it not just possible to take out the Compact Flash card as and when necessary?
I'm not familiar with such a product but is it not
just possible to take out the Compact Flash card as and
when necessary?

Yes, thanks Stuartli, but I don't want to!
That's the whole point.

Please see my reply at 13:26 above (I guess you cross posted as your reply is 13:27)
Hack to stop CF card PDA power drain? - No FM2R
As far as I am aware there is no option but to remove the card. Even if you stopped all programs which could be conceivably using it, including wireless, network and anything else, the card would still represent a drain - a soft reset would stop everything and prove the point.

I don't even believe that any of the freeware power programs would help.

The only thing I can suggest is carrying a spare battery or unplugging the card. Using one of the larger batteries may also help.
Explorer file name colours? - John R @ home {P}
Good morning,

In Explorer (not I.E.) when viewing files with a detail view, some files and directories (sorry, folders) are shown in blue rather than the usual black.

Why is this?

Regards,

John R @ Home
Explorer file name colours? - Stuartli
Not quite sure what you mean, but the only files I have in blue (from C:\WINDOWS) are Knowledge Base updates.

If you go to View>Choose details you can alter some aspects of what is made available but it doesn't cover this area.
Explorer file name colours? - adverse camber
Are they compressed ? it is in the options to shop compressed files in colour
I don't think they are compressed...
See an example of what I describe here:-

img340.imageshack.us/img340/7669/explorer7qz.jpg

Regards,

John R @ Home
Explorer file name colours? - Stuartli
Think I've found it:

www.winxptutor.com/filecolor.htm

and another re compressed files:

malektips.com/xpwtw0022.html

When I defrag, contiguous files are shown in blue on the panel.
Stuart,

you are an ace... spot on advice as usual.

...why are they compressed and not the others? ;¬)

Regards,

John R @ Home
Explorer file name colours? - Citroënian {P}
Hi John,

It is indeed that the files are compressed (blue) or encrtyped (green). It's possible to have compression on individual files as you have -

right click file - properties - (general) - advanced, bottom two check boxes.

Lee