Blatant advertising - Miller
Having just read the 'Bond car' thread I am reminded of a film I saw on telly just before Xmas called 'Rhonin' (I think thats the right spelling).

Set in France, it was basically just a series of good car chases, however I noticed that just about every make of French and German car appeared at some point, Citroen XM, ZX, Xantia, Peugeot 205, 306, 405, 605, Renault Clio, Laguna along with BMW's, Audi's and VW, all vehicles getting close up shots of their noses and grills complete with manufacturers badges. I wonder how much the makers of the film were paid off the car companies for this advertising.
Re: Blatant advertising - ian (cape town)
Miller, one of the biggest scams in modern times- product placement.
Back in the pre-PC days, cigarette companies and soft-drink folk used to spend zillions making sure that their brand was always in shot...
Car makers are no different.
Back to Bond - ("Oh s**t!", say half the backroomers), in one film, they 'previewed' the Z3. It was seen in Q's lab, and also seen at an airstrip later in the film, though JB never drove it ...
Re: Blatant advertising - Ian Cook
I bet the F1 Minardi's sponsors were happier when the cars were guaranteed to keep running but always come last - it was reckoned that they achieved more camera time than most of the other teams!
Re: Blatant advertising - Honest John
Where did you ever get the idea that movie producers pay for the cars they use in movies? Car manufacturers have always employed agents to scout scripts being considered for production in order to offer cars to be used. Look at the titles of any American TV show or Movie. Always says words to the effect of "automobiles furnished by Fordolac (or whatever)", Mr Sinatra's suits supplied by ....., Ms Gardner's outfits provided by....." Okay, if it's a duff movie, with no stars they have to buy their cars. But if it's likely to be a big one, supported by massive promotion, it's the ebst advertising you can buy.

HJ
Re: Blatant advertising - Jonathan
On the subject of Ronin, I saw that film and thought it was great, but they did make a big deal about needing a "large, high powered, four wheel drive car, Its gotta be an Audi A8 Quattro (an S8)". I am just surprised they didn't film them going to the showroom and actually buying it!

Jonathan
Re: Blatant advertising - Miller
Fair enough!
Re: Blatant advertising - ajp
Does it matter?
Re: Blatant advertising - Phil
That S8 is the best bit. There are just a lot of cars from different euro manufacturers - John Frankenhiemer (director) is a big car guy and just made a big deal of the cars. If there was only one manufacturers product in it then that might be suspicious, but nearly every major euro car company gets a look in.

"I'll also need a nitrous system" - 400bhp obviously not enough

"eef it eez in Paris, I can get it."
Re: Blatant advertising - Andrew Smith
I did come out of the second major chase scene thinking.....hmm maybe a 406 would be worth looking at.
Re: Blatant advertising - Rob Cook
Are you some sort of ex-CIA armed robber then?
Re: Blatant advertising - Colin M
A mate used to work on East Enders. Those "Queen Vic" beer taps dispense real beer provided FOC by the brewery and enjoyed on many an after filming party (or at least they were in Dirty Den's day)