Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - David W
Just been asked by a customer to advise on values for a private sale of her car, she's been given a lease one from this year. I know I can look in the guides and ask a friend for the Glasses price but......

What do you think is a real world swiftish sale price for a......

1996 P-reg Mondeo LX TD. Taxed and MOT. Two owner, lease company and now present female owner. Full history and up to date on servicing. Dark blue (oh dear) but washes up to a presentable car with only the usual small door dings for the age.

She's going to try private ads in the local freeads and Sainsbury's for sale cards etc. Might send it to auction if it fails to shift in a couple of weeks but I've advised against. It could end up there on a day with few private punters and the trade in a sad mood!

Thanks.

David
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - David W
Sorry forgot mileage, 105K approx.

David
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - Guy Lacey
£2500.

You don't mention mileage DW?
You'll see it by now. Perhaps it'll pull your price down a little but she'd still be pleased to see you!

David
OK - £1750 and dinner. (Is she the Posh Bird with the Land Rover?!)
Err yes. Company car now and keeping Land Rover for weekends.

Be nice to have some more feel for a price chaps.

David
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - ian (cape town)
David W wrote:
> Be nice to have some more feel for a price chaps.

I bet you would, David... Now BEHAVE! :)
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - Honest John
If it's an old shape (pre '97MY) in Baliol ('Doom') blue, then definitely less than £2k as a private sale. Trade, about £1,500. The public just don't want leggy motors any more and haircutters are getting found out.

HJ
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - Steve G
>Re :haircutters are getting found out.

What , they really are gay ?
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - THe Growler
This may mark me as abysmally ignorant, but pray what is a "haircutter"? In an automotive sense I mean.
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - Honest John
Giving a car a haircut is a trade term for cosmetically removing an unsaleable collection of digits from the odometer. However, more mileages on disposal are now being registered on vehicle history data banks which is why this form of horology is going out of fashion.

HJ
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - Brian
He's not on about Catherine Zetec Jones again, is he?
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - Richard Hall
We just got rid of a P reg Mondeo diesel at work. Mid blue metallic, 129K, £1800. But it was an estate. Sold to an antique dealer...
Re: Ford Mondeo TD sale and value. - David Lacey
£1500 tops. Just make sure the cambelt is OK before you turn the key....

Bit of a story there...week before Xmas, we had an N '96 Mondeo TD traded in as P/ex for something infinately better. I went to move it from where it had been abandoned in our car park and guess what? BANG!! SCREECH!! and the starter motor just whirrs the engine over. Bugger - the cambelt snapped, snapping the camshaft for good measure.

Looking at the snapped belt, it had seen better days with extensive cracking to the teeth etc.

I wouldn't touch one of those cars or an GM Ecotec DOHC engined car either. Had two belt failures on those too.

David
Thanks all. Looks like an ask £2000 and be prepared for £1500 situation then.

OK we're all in about the same area with the low value on this car but what a bargain really. I don't mean this one in particular but mid-nineties used cars as a whole.

1996 TD with ABS. No rust or major dents. History. Currently up to date on maintenance. Comfortable, decent stereo. A very useable car that has been trouble free for the past 24,000 miles.

How much more value do we want?

David L is right about the timing belt issue though. A Fiesta 1.8D in the family snapped the belt on startup last week, think the tensioner failed.

David
David L is *always* right - just ask his other half, Hayley.