Lousy Design - Kevin

Took the Jag in for a service yesterday and was given a fairly new Polo (54 reg IIRC), as a courtesy car. I have to say it was very disappointing.

Acres and acres of cheap plastic (cheaper than the stuff used in my Z28 which I'd assumed would be impossible), switchgear that looked like it had been swiped from a '70's Datsun Loganberry and a horrible little 1.2L engine that sounded like a swarm of killer-bees under the bonnet (less than 20mph/1000rpm in 5th).

The brakes grabbed badly at low speed and the A-pillar and door mirror hid any view of the kerb when negotiating the inside lane on roundabouts.

If the Polo is supposed to be one of the better cars in it's class I hate to think what the mediocre ones are like.

The biggest disappointment however was the new XJ which I took the opportunity to give the once-over. The switches for the windows are the same as those in the Polo and old Datsuns.

You know them? The ones that are hinged at the rear edge of the switch. Push the front edge down to open, pull it back to close. The ones that are the cause of many disastrous nights-out and numerous divorces because of broken fingernails?

They were obviously designed by a male who is unaquainted with the fairer sex.

Kevin...
Lousy Design - P3t3r
The Polo sounds a lot like a new Fiesta to me! My parents have one, and I hate everything about it.

It...
Is full of plastic
Is big on the outside, a lot smaller on the inside
Makes me feel sick as a passenger
Has an engine that sounds like a Diesel
Drinks too much fuel because it's so big
Is slow because it's so big

I think I'll be better off keeping the car I've got if all modern cars are this bad :(
Lousy Design - Avant
"The Polo sounds a lot like a new Fiesta to me!"

I've never seen it remarked on in the magazines, but to my eyes the current Polo *looks* very much like the current Fiesta, especially the 5-door. Or is it just me?

Both smack very much of design by committee.
Lousy Design - carl_a
It...
Is full of plastic
Is big on the outside, a lot smaller on the inside
Makes me feel sick as a passenger
Has an engine that sounds like a Diesel
Drinks too much fuel because it's so big
Is slow because it's so big

Agree with you on most points, but I found the room on the inside very good, better in many respects than the Honda Jazz up front. Ford really need to do something about the lack of clutch rest and the nasty plastic dash.
Lousy Design - Garethj
The switches for the windows are the same as those in the Polo and old Datsuns.
You know them? The ones that are hinged at the rear edge of the switch. Push the front edge down to open, pull it back to close.

The switches were brought in because of accidents with children in parked cars, when parents left their kids in the car it wasn't unknown for the child to stick his head out through the open window.

Then for a better view, the child would stand on the armrest and accidently put his foot on the window switch, making the window go up and strangling himself.

The newer window switches always go down when you press down to solve this. The drawback is that the recess on the back aren't always designed to accomodate all fingers.
Lousy Design - Pugugly {P}
Not having seen them in the Polo they sound (from the excellent description) as the ones that appeared in the 3 series. I always thought them logical, tactile and well made.
Lousy Design - Aprilia
Some OTT comments on the Polo there. I have no axe to grind (never owned one and don't intend buying one) but I have had some dealings with the latest Polo through helping out an elderly owner who's had problems. They are not a bad little car - drive pretty well in fact. Very good gearchange and good ride and handling. The only thing I don't like is the snatchy brakes - but that seems to be a common thing on recent VAG cars.

The window switches you speak about have been around for many years and (at least 12) and, as mentioned above, are a safer alternative to 'rocker' switches.
Lousy Design - Ian (Cape Town)
The switches were brought in because of accidents with children in
parked cars, when parents left their kids in the car it
wasn't unknown for the child to stick his head out through
the open window.
Then for a better view, the child would stand on the
armrest and accidently put his foot on the window switch, making
the window go up and strangling himself.

Once again, this highlights the stupidity of some parents.
License to drive? License to keep a dog? License to own a firearm? But do you need a license to procreate? Nope.
Ok, leave your brats in the car! Go for it. Kids by their very nature fiddle with things - what does THIS one do? (handbrake) And this one? (gearshift.) Oops, we're moving!!!!!
Other dangers are obvious, and include kid falling headfirst out of window onto tarmac, or in front of a bus.
Or some criminal type grabbing kiddie for evil purposes, OR relieving car of radio and luggage in boot.
Oh, and in these warmer climes, it ain't just dogs who die in hot cars...

My car has leccie windows, and they only work when key is in ignition, and round past the accesories position, or when drivers' door is open. However, I suspect that some muppets would see the benefits (sic) of rewiring the windows so they work at any time.
Lousy Design - Garethj
Once again, this highlights the stupidity of some parents.

perhaps true, but whatever you do a kid will find some way to hurt himself!
My car has leccie windows, and they only work when key is in ignition, and round past the accesories position

Good idea for child safety, but a pain when you're sitting in the car and the driver has gone away for a few minutes and it's a hot day.

Anyway, my only point was to say I don't think the switches are a bad design as the first poster suggested. They're quite a clever way of getting around a problem for not much money.
Lousy Design - Kevin
>Very good gearchange and good ride and handling.

The only good thing you could say about it, so not OTT. The rest is as I said, 'disappointing'.

>The switches were brought in because of accidents with children..

Sorry, I'm not buying that one. Theoretically safer perhaps, but if that is a real problem there are better solutions like current-sensing window motors. Also, the window switches should be disabled with the ignition key removed or a programmable option for those who desire otherwise.

I agree with Ian (CT). People who leave young kids unattended in a vehicle need their heads examined, especially kids small enough to stand on an armrest with their heads out of the window!

They are still a lousy design in my not-so-humble opinion.

Kevin...
Lousy Design - Aprilia
>Very good gearchange and good ride and handling.
The only good thing you could say about it, so not
OTT. The rest is as I said, 'disappointing'.

Erm, no. Just highlighting those as being particularly good for the class of car. The rest of the Polo is highly competent and has a smooth powertrain and well though out interior.
Like I said, its not a car I'll be buying and I've never owned one, but they are very good small cars. I always get a bit irritated when someone posts on here that they drove a 'such and such' car and on the basis of a pootle round the block they say it was very poor etc etc. There are actually no really poorly designed cars on the market these days. I have been in the car business a long time and can remember as far back as BMC 'land crab' and the Allegro - now they were disappointing cars! I can't really think of a poorly designed small car that's currently on the market.
Lousy Design - wjh
i'm sure that after driving a jag, getting into a small supermini would feel disappointing. Even though its a volkswagen, the feel of the fit and finish in an 8k supermini is going to be inferior to an expensive jag.
Lousy Design - Pugugly {P}
"8k supermini is going to be inferior to an expensive jag." !
Maybe current Jaguars, but think back to the XJ40......I think life would be far more reliable in a contemporary VW
Lousy Design - Kevin
Aprilia.

Read my post again. Carefully this time.

I did not say that it was poorly designed (except for the switchgear), simply that it was a real disappointment. I also did not say that it was a pootle around the block. What gave you that idea?

>well though out interior.

Pity about the materials.

Kevin...
Lousy Design - Garethj
>>The switches were brought in because of accidents with children..

Sorry, I'm not buying that one. Theoretically safer perhaps, but if that is a real problem there are better solutions like current-sensing window motors.

Unfortunately the current change when a child's throat is compressed is so tiny that your windows would end up switching off when the guide channel got a bit wet.

Current sensors are extra parts in the motor, different shaped switches cost no extra to install or tool.

>>Also, the window switches should be disabled with the ignition key removed or a programmable option for those who desire otherwise.

Windows disables with the ignition off are a pain when an adult is waiting in a parked car. Programmable is possible, but again expensive for no gain.

People who leave young kids unattended in a vehicle need their heads examined, especially kids small enough to stand on an armrest with their heads out of the window!

I agree. But the child's death is perhaps a harsh punishment?

They are still a lousy design in my not-so-humble opinion.

As a part which costs no extra to manufacture, has no reduced reliability but does everything a current sensor and programmable option does, I think it's quite a clever design. In my humble experience of the automotive design industry