Red light camera question - Avantra
Something strange happen to me in the early morning.
Coming off Broomfield Rd in Chelmsford in to Parkway (we are going on this road all the time) we were flashed by the red light camera at 6.00am passing the junction in amber. I am a regular driver on this road and never seen this flashing in amber before. My question is what kind of fine I should expect.
I am driving with my international license (Non-EU) and have my provisional since April and booked to take my practical in October. As I am in my 12 month concession period for getting a UK license, will I get a penalty on my International or my provisional? We were going really slowly, I think like 20mph when we crossed. The other person in the car also said it was amber.
Red light camera question - Adam {P}
It's technically "impossible" for it to flash but the same happened to me. One around here likes to flash on green too!

If you did pass on amber then expect no fine. The pictures show the lights themselves and how long they were on red for etc.. so would show you had committed no offence by not crossing the stop line on red (if that makes sense!).

The lines are embedded just after the stop line. Was it amber when you crossed the stop line or just amber at the last second you looekd at it?

A red light offence that is within a certain amount of time of the lights turning red usually results in a TS10 endorsement, a sixty quid fine and 3 points. If you took the mick and went through after the lights had been red for 20 seconds or something like that, then I understand they come down a lot harder on you...and rightly so.

Hope that helps,
--
Adam
Red light camera question - hxj

Dear me

There was me thinking that Green meant go and all the others meant stop, ar at least that was what it was last time I checked.

Deliberately going through an amber light is still an offence.
Red light camera question - Adam {P}
Where did I say it was anything but?
--
Adam
Red light camera question - mjm
AMBER means 'Stop' at the stopline. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident.

Straight from the highway code.

It makes sense, traffic lights in a 60 mph limit, the amber light comes on, after the green, you are 30/40 feet away, doing 60, the best you will do in a panic stop is probably block the carriageway at the junction, or get punted into it by the car behind!
Red light camera question - hxj

Sorry Adski I misunderstood this bit -

"If you did pass on amber then expect no fine. The pictures show the lights themselves and how long they were on red for etc.. so would show you had committed no offence by not crossing the stop line on red (if that makes sense!)."

Red light camera question - Altea Ego
AN international license can not carry points or penalties, it can be withdrawn or confiscated.

As you have a valid uk license (albeit provisional) penalties will be on that one.
Red light camera question - Robin Reliant
If you have a UK provisional licence then your international licence is no longer valid, and you must comply with the requirements of the UK licence, L plates, supervising driver etc.
Red light camera question - C2C79
If you have a UK provisional licence then your international licence
is no longer valid, and you must comply with the requirements
of the UK licence, L plates, supervising driver etc.

Now you confuse me..I understand from the DVLA that I have a 12 month period (I am resident) that I can drive without the L plate etc' and I am here 10 month now.

Quote from the DVLA web site.....Ordinary licence holders

Provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12 month period elapses. If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions e.g. displaying `L' plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways....

Red light camera question - Robin Reliant
That's how I always understood the licencing system to work, but if the DVLA tell you otherwise then my info is either out of date or incorrect.

Apologies if so.
Red light camera question - Dwight Van Driver
As a non Eu you enter UK with a Domestic Driving Licence from the country you came from. If valid licence and covers vehicle involved then you can drive on this in UK.

You become a resident here. You are allowed to drive on your Domestic Licence for 12 months from date taking up residency here.

To provide continuity during this 12 months you take out a Prov Licence to enable you to take a test and obtain a UK full Licence so that you are kosher when 12 months expire. During this time the conditions of a Prov Licence are waved and you do not need to show L plates etc. If by the time the 12 months have expired you have not taken a test and passed then you will have to comply with conditions of the Prov Lic.

Whilst points cannot be put on your domestic driving licence then a skelton record will be created at DVLA and points put on this and transferred to any licence subsequently taken out.

An Internation Driving Permit as I understand it is only a translation of your domestic driving licence which is the authority for you to drive.

dvd
Red light camera question - mare
As a non Eu you enter UK with a Domestic Driving
Licence from the country you came from. If valid licence and
covers vehicle involved then you can drive on this in UK.

more detail available here:

www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm

there are some subtle differences depending where your non-GB licence comes from.