Citroen C5 2.2Hdi ticking noise - dieselnut
I recently bought the above high mileage (153K) C5. It has the fairly common, so it would seem, crank pulley ticking noise.
Had a look yesterday and found the auxillary belt bottom pulley seems to be comming apart internally. From previous posts on here I thought the usual problem was with the Timing belt bottom pulley ?
Anyway, tried to undo the 22mm pulley bolt with breaker bar & hexagonal socket without success. Was wondering if this is a left hand thread ?. Also cannot see how the auxilliary belt is tensioned. If anyone can advise on these two issues it would be much apreciated. Am off now to Eurocarparts to collect a replacement & will check back on here later. Thanks.
Citroen C5 2.2Hdi ticking noise - RichardW
Crankshaft pulley / aux belt pulley / timing belt pulley - it's all the same thing - the pulley that bolts on the end of the crankshaft.

The bolt is RH thread, but it's very tight - try getting the engine warm - they use threadlock on the bolt, and the heat softens it. Use 4th gear and get someone to stand on the brakes. Usually you have to have the wheel off, so note that if no disc screws are fitted, or if they're loose, the disc spins agains the hub, and you might have trouble getting the wheel bolts back in - fit a couple of wheel bolts to hold it. If in doubt, use a bigger bar, or get your local tyre place to apply their rattle gun to it! Not sure what the tightening torque is for the 2.2 HDi, but for the old XUD (which uses the same bottom end as the HDi, well the 2.0 anyway!) it was something like 30 ft lbs, then 60° - tight! Use new threadlock as well.

The belt on the XUD with A/C is auto tensioned - the auto tensioner at the top. What you have to do is tighten the manual tensioner (at the bottom, after releasing the mounting bolts - one of which may be in the centre of the pulley) until you can get a pin in the holes in the auto tensioner, then let the manual tensioner off till the belt goes slack. When refitting, just tighten the manual tensioner enough to get the pin out, then lock the bolts. Again, no guarantee it's the same, but it's probably similar.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Citroen C5 2.2Hdi ticking noise - dieselnut
Thanks Richard. You're right, it was verrry tight. Once I knew it was a normal thread it was just a case of brute force. I managed to wedge a screwdriver into the slot on the pulley against a block of wood on the drive. Then with about 2 feet of 1/2 inch extension I was able to get a lot more force standing at the side of the car with a T bar and 18 ins of lever at both ends. Even so it was still a strugle. As you say, an air gun would have shifted it in seconds. What I meant about the aux pulley/timming belt pulley was that the timing pulley is behind the aux pulley. The timing pulley looked to be steel so no chance of that breaking. I couldnt see why the aux pulley breaking up should affect the timing belt as others have reported. Unless the break up was so catastrophic it tore into the timing covers and caught the belt. Still I don't want to go there. New pulley fitted & now all quiet again. Thanks for your help.
Philip.