Scratch repair - rhino
Can anyone assist with the most economic source of scratch repair?

My son has ridden his bike into a neighbour's Renault Megane, causing a six or seven inch scratch down to the white primer. If it was my car, I'd have a go with touch up paint. As it's not, it's only reasonable to expect a decent job, but I suspect a Renault dealership will charge the earth.
Scratch repair - Chris M
You have my sympathy as my son put a small dent in a neighbour's newish 206 a couple of years ago. I offered to pay for the repair, but they didn't bother to have it done. I wish they had as it puts a strain on good neighbourly relations for a while.

Some backroomers have reported good results with the mobile chip repairers - although my experience of them has not been good. It may assist if you say where you are as someone may be able to offer a recommendation in your area.

Other backroomers will be able to tell us what bad parents we are for allowing our children to run riot.

Chris M
Scratch repair - rhino
I'm in the Woking area; in the meantime following internet searches I've requested a quote from Chipaway, a franchised outfit who may or may not come up with a decent quote. Any pointers very useful.
Scratch repair - Bill Payer
Claim on your house insurance - Liability to third parties.
Scratch repair - Chris M
I thought that when it happened to me.

My insurance company said my neighbour needs to claim from their car insurance (as it is more specifically insured) and the car insurers may seek recovery from me, in which case, my household insurance would apply.

Chris M
Scratch repair - Dynamic Dave
Moved across from Technical Matters. DD
Scratch repair - rhino
Vigorous polishing with some Mer over a couple of hours this evening has reduced the noticeable scratch down to a few inches. I'm hoping he'll agree that the remaining outline is insignificant; I'm still left with a fairly deep three inch scratch. As I've got a claim going through the house insurance at the moment, I'm loathe to hit them again.

Anyone had experience of Mer Scratch & Chip Repair? The online AutoExpress review was quite favourable, and at £19 it seem to be worth a go.
Scratch repair - carl_a
Anyone had experience of Mer Scratch & Chip Repair? The online
AutoExpress review was quite favourable, and at £19 it seem to
be worth a go.

I repaired a 40cm scratch a year ago, results depends on how good the touch-up paint is. On a small area its very good but larger areas show up a bit. If the metal isn't bent at all then its easy but even a slight dip and you will need to be careful with the wet&dry paper.
Scratch repair - frazerjp
My Dad had someone come round about 2 years ago to mend a scratch on his then Rover 400. We got this guy through my sister as she does his accounts for him. The chap that came round wasnt the actual bloke who owned the business, i think he seemed to be more like a newly qualified apprentice, because halfway doing the job he had to the ring his boss to help him out because he wasnt sure if he was doing it right or not!! But in the end of that afternoon he did a decent job!

Its not what you know, its who you know!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Scratch repair - Blue {P}
I doubt if he'll be happy with 3 inches of primer outline, if not I would definately try a mobile van type operator such as Chipsaway, they can normally resprey just the affected area for a reasonable charge when compared with a bodyshop.

Blue
Scratch repair - Altea Ego
My son scratched a friends brand new Ka -

was claimed on my household insurance.