Ford Mondeo warning lights - norwittyoramusingname
I am thinking about buying a 98 mondeo. However it has a few faults and I wanted to know if anybody has any experience of them.

1) The airbag light flashes when the car is running. Most of the stuff on the net seems to point to a loose connection between the light and the sensor? Anybody have any experience of this?

2) The fan only seems to work in position 4. Is this just a resistor failure? Can this be fixed fairly easily?

3) The front bumper needs replacing. Does anybody know how much this will cost as trying to find car part prices at a weekend is impossible.

Thanks
Ford Mondeo warning lights - Adam {P}
1. Re the lights - the easiest thing would be to check under the seats to see if the pre-tensioner connectors have worked loose. Not uncommon if the seat is moved back and forth a lot.

2. I think so but someone else will know more.

3. Pass. I can't imagine it being enough to put me off the car if the price was right. Good negotiating point?
--
Adam
Ford Mondeo warning lights - henry k
1) The airbag light flashes when the car is running.
Most of the stuff on the net seems to point to a loose connection between the light and the sensor?
Anybody have any experience of this?

Note the frequency and the no of flashes & report back.
4 flashes pause 4 flashes.... is normally the connector under the seat. a very common problem.
3) The front bumper needs replacing.
Does anybody know how much this will cost as trying to find car part prices at a weekend is impossible.

I checked ebay a few weeks ago and copy bumpers already sprayed were about £120.

I have detailed instructions on removing the bumper if you need them. I have removed mine and refitted it.
Ford Mondeo warning lights - Waino
The problem with the heater fan is a very common (mandatory?) fault on Mondeos. Buying second-hand, you will have escaped the smouldering sock smell of the resistor as it burned out! Previous postings have referred to the problem - and I recall one giving a link to the Mondeo Owners Club site with illustrated instructions on how to correct the fault [hopefully, DD will be able to find it]. I took my Mondeo to a main dealer who, back in Jan '02, charged me £69.70 for the fix.
Ford Mondeo warning lights - Dynamic Dave
[hopefully, DD will be able to find it].

Challenge accepted ;o)

This one?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26559&...e
Ford Mondeo warning lights - carl233
The resister problem is a relatively easy DIY fix. I had the same problem on my MK2 Mondeo it took about 40 minutes to apply the fix. The cost of the parts from Ford will be under £15 you may even get a slight discount as the original resister is a design fault that Ford would never admit.

The Mondeo MK2 2 is a great used buy and the Zetec E petrol is good for around 250k miles and the diesel will also go to very high miles. The V6 has proved troublesome with many serious issues reported on the Mondeo owners club site.

For instructions how to fix the resister problem try
www.mirez.co.uk/HeaterPack.htm

Other problems to watch for are:

Leaking rear light clusters
Slipping clutch (very expensive and difficult to replace)
Water ingress via the pollen filter
Essential that the Zetec unit been serviced with 5w30 oil
Ford Mondeo warning lights - Waino
It's a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question, but what is the normal life expectancy of a Mondeo Mk2 clutch and what would be a typical replacement cost? I ask nervously because my '97 2.0 estate has done 115,000 miles. When Carl says that the Zetec E may be good for 250k miles, could that include the clutch? Incidentally, it uses no oil between services and can easily return 40mpg on a run.
Ford Mondeo warning lights - carl233
A very difficult question to answer about the life expectancy of the clutch, it really all comes down to traffic conditions and general use. The cost at a Ford dealer would be in the region of £390 to £550. It is definitely worth shopping around for the best price.

Incorrect assembly of the sub frame is very common after clutch replacement and this can cause all kinds of tracking problems. I am in the same position as you Waino I am just waiting for the day that the clutch fails as my Mondeo has 94k on the clock and is still on the original.
Ford Mondeo warning lights - harrierlee
hello mate im a new user on here, i used to have a 97 mondeo, and had similar problems.
the heater resitor is located in the passenger footwell mounted onto the blower assembly, new one cost me about 8 quid from the dealers and took 5 mins to fit.
the airbag light flashing was caused by a plug loose under the seat ,yellow one if i remember rightly, that attaches to the seat belt pretensioner.
make sure ign is off and dissconncet battry first, to make sure the air bag dosnet go off on you, probalbly wouldnt anyway but better safe than sorry eh ? make sure you got your radio code for your radio. im not certain if this is your fault but worth a look anyway!!
get a bumper from your local scrapyard, as i got a new one and then promptly bashed it a week later on a wall!!