Blinded by the lights - hillman
The New Scientist ran an article this week about the spreading practice of having dipped headlights on during daylight. Along with the usual balanced NS treatment there is report of an organisation opposing it, saying that it is, irritating, irresponsible, and further, downright dangerous. The founder of the organisation says, ?I have heavily tinted glass placed in front of me to reduce glare.? ?I also no longer use rear-view or side-view mirrors?.

Discuss.

There are people also who refuse to use dipped headlights in towns at night because they feel that the street lights are bright enough anyway, and dipped headlights might dazzle people. I, myself, have had a couple of near misses in light rain when the road lighting reflected from the surface has masked the approach of a car running on sidelights only.

Blinded by the lights - Robin Reliant
I posted my views on daytime lights on a recent bike thread, so I won't repeat them here. While i think the guy who won't use his mirrors is a bit of a twit, I agree with his views. I find vehicles using daytime dipped beam to be a nusience, especially when they are cresting a brow or have the sun behind them.

Totally un-nescessary in my view, everyone is perfectly visible in good light without having to dazzle everyone else.
Blinded by the lights - Bill Payer
I find vehicles using daytime dipped beam to be a nusience, especially when they.. ..have the sun behind them.

That's interesting - I seem to frequently find myself driving into the setting sun and find cars heading towards me are almost invisible. I try to make a point of turning my lights on when I realise the sun's behind me. Am I doing the wrong thing?
Blinded by the lights - tyro
> I try to make a point of turning my
lights on when I realise the sun's behind me. Am
I doing the wrong thing?

Not in my opinion.

There are a lot of drivers out there who are not particularly attentive. You may be perfectly visible to them without lights, but they are more likely to actually notice you if you have lights on.
Blinded by the lights - Citroënian {P}
If you're driving around in broad daylight with your lights on, you haven't really understood the purpose of the lights.... (not you tyro, I mean you as in "anyone"!)
-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Blinded by the lights - Pugugly {P}
Bring back dim-dip a sensible British solution killed off by Eurocrats.
Blinded by the lights - pmh
The founder of the organisation says, ?I have heavily tinted glass placed in front of me to reduce glare.? ?I also no longer use rear-view or side-view mirrors?.>>

By the sound of it the founder should be needing dark glasses and a white stick. Anybody who is simiarly afflicted should visit their optician and doctor urgently and be prepared to hand in their driving license.

--

pmh (was peter)
Blinded by the lights - L'escargot
<< I try to make a point of turning my
lights on when I realise the sun's behind me. Am
I doing the wrong thing?

No, because you have thought about it first. Most people that use dipped headlights in daylight (Volvo drivers excluded) do it either because they think it looks cool or for some other illogical reason that only they could explain ~ and for which I don't intend to waste any time asking them about.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Blinded by the lights - nick
I use dipped lights in the day only in heavy rain or dusky conditions so I can be seen even though I don't need them to see my way. However I do lower the lights using the adjustment provided on most if not all modern cars so that I don't blind on-coming drivers.
Blinded by the lights - DazSV
If someone has thier lights on in such a way that prevents me seeing as well as I would otherwise, I slow down and stay clear. I'd rather that than they didn't have any lights on at all and I didn't notice them.

As was said earlier, a vehicle with no lights on is perfectly visible, but a vehicle WITH lights on is far more noticable and is more likely to catch your attention.

It is also easier to judge the speed of a vehicle that has it's lights on. Imagine you are emerging right from a small road onto a main road, a car to your right is approaching, can you get out before it passes? If it has it's lights on it is far, far easier to judge accurately.
It is also easier to judge the speed of a vehicle
that has it's lights on. Imagine you are emerging right from
a small road onto a main road, a car to your
right is approaching, can you get out before it passes? If
it has it's lights on it is far, far easier to
judge accurately.

Cannot agree with that. I think it is completely the opposite.
Cannot agree with that. I think it is completely the opposite.

I don't see the point in arguing, it seems that around 95% of the users of this board completely disagree with everything I think and/or suggest.

I shall stand by my opinion based on personal experience regardless.
Blinded by the lights - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
" I don't see the point in arguing, it seems that around 95% of the users of this board completely disagree with everything I think and/or suggest."

- No we don't..
;-)
If I meet an oncoming motorcycle that has main beam headlights on in broad daylight then I put my headlights on main beam also. I reckon that if said motorcyclist needs main beam to see where he is going in daylight then I need to do everything I can to make sure that he can see me.
--
If I meet an oncoming motorcycle that has main beam headlights
on in broad daylight then I put my headlights on main
beam also. I reckon that if said motorcyclist needs main beam
to see where he is going in daylight then I need
to do everything I can to make sure that he can
see me.
--

I keep my headlights on during the day, not to see where I am going, my eyesight is perfect, but to make sure others spot me. It is extremely easy to "not notice" a bike with no lights on, but with lights on there will be a far higher chance of you noticing me and not running into the side of me, as has happened in the past.

If you wish to put your headlights on too, that's fine.
I posted this on a recent bike thread, but as not everyone reads those it may be worth posting again;

Here is a piece written by a guy called Tony Carter, who is an experienced accident investigator and a respected motorcycle trainer. He often writs for the motorcycle press, including Bike magazine.

The following is re-printed with his permission.

Firstly, used main beam in the face of approaching traffic, even in daylight and you are looking at a court appearance for driving without reasonable consideration for other road users. In simple terms Careless driving.

Secondly, many riders choose to display headlights 24/7, but have you ever thought about the fact that you could actually be reducing your safety margin? There have been a number of studies in other parts of the world where the displaying of headlights is compulsory for both bikes and cars, and the accident rate has actually increased for a number of reasons, and some of the reasons I can testify to as a result of a number of crashes I have dealt with over the years.

In the first instance, many drivers have a depth and speed perception problem when they see a motorcycle approaching with its headlight displayed. Many think (and this is only an example) that the bike is doing say 30 MPH and is half a mile away when in fact it is doing 60 and is only a quarter of a mile away, so in the case of a car emerging from a junction the tendancy is for the driver to think that they have more time than they actually have. The reason? Well next time you are out and about, look at an approaching bike and see if you can actually see the bike clearly behind the aura of the headlight (made even worse if its on full beam). Now put the same bike on headlights with the sun behind it and it becomes even worse, in many cases the bike disappears altogether.

Now get the same bike approaching a junction, and it hits a pothole or undulation in the road surface. the number of times a driver has pulled out because they believed they were being flashed out! Now I appreciate that they shouldn't pull out just on a headlight flash, but they do. In most cases they go down as a sorry didn't see you type of crash. The truth is they were seen, the drivers simply could not determine accurately speed and distance.

The third aspect, which I have had some direct dealings with recently is that if the use of the headlight caused a depth perception problem, and in particular if you are on main beam headlight, you could be held partially liable in a crash as being contributory to the cause. I have had a number of cases recently where I had to show the court the sort of problems using dipped beam can cause, (bear in mind my duty is to the court) and the court has held that the rider was partially responsible.

Before long, now that many of the manufacturers are hard wiring their headlights to save money, I believe that one of them will be held liable for a crash, and I know of one instance where this is under consideration at the moment.

By all means use headlights in poor visibility or at night, but when visibility is good, then why not consider (for those of you who are not hard wired) just using the sidelight as it is bright enough to draw attention but not bright enough to dazzle. Coupled with using bright colours, paricularly loud coloured helmets you will make yourself far more visible and actually increase the bubble of safety around you.

I should add that I never use headlights during the day unless visibility is seriously reduced, but i do use sidelights, and 2 million miles on I am still here to tell the tale.
Here is a piece written by a guy called Tony Carter,
who is an experienced accident investigator and a respected motorcycle trainer.

Tony Carter's article should be made compulsory reading (and require proof of comprehension thereof) as part of all driving tests. In addition all learner drivers should have to pass a test to prove that they are psychologically compatible with driving.
--
Blinded by the lights - andymc {P}
I have started to switch the lights on (dipped beam, not main beam) in bright sunlight when the sun is behind me, especially when driving along country roads. In certain places, the effects of deep shadows cast by hedgerows/trees etc, contrasting with bright sunlight and/or windscreen glare (especially if the inside of the windscreen hasn't been cleaned recently - a lesson one should only need to learn once) can combine to render me invisible for cars coming towards me. I know because I have experienced the "oh pfd" moment when travelling in the other direction! I just think the old safety message "be safe, be seen" makes sense.

Also, when driving on a bright day and coming to a spot where most of the road is in shadow, but the sun is still in your eyes, any pedestrians, cyclists, etc. can be difficult to spot until the last second. Plus, most of the roads around here don't have footpaths and are not very wide. Seeing as I'm the one driving over a ton of metal and glass towards them, anything I can do to make sure I see them as clearly and as early as possible is my responsibility, including having my lights on. I also slow down (often substantially) in these conditions to increase my chances of completing an emergency stop in time. Doesn't help that some fools insist on walking along on the left side of the road with their backs to me, but in spite of such Darwin Award-winning stupidity I still prefer to avoid running them down - so far ...

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Blinded by the lights - Dynamic Dave
>> If I meet an oncoming motorcycle that has main beam
>> headlights on in broad daylight

I keep my headlights on during the day, not to see
where I am going, my eyesight is perfect, but to make
sure others spot me. It is extremely easy to "not notice"
a bike with no lights on, but with lights on there
will be a far higher chance of you noticing me and
not running into the side of me, as has happened in
the past.
If you wish to put your headlights on too, that's fine.

Daz. Stop getting your knickers in a twist. If you ride around with your headlights on dip beam then that isn't the issue here. The issue is the bikers who seem to think it's ok for them to ride around with their headlights on main beam so they'll be spotted more easily.
Blinded by the lights - S80
You guys should look at this:-
www.iihs.org/safety_facts/qanda/drl.htm

My Volvo S80 has DRLs and no-one flashes me - except for the odd person who thinks I have left them on by mistake! They are well adjusted and have a small cover over the top of the bulb. I think they are a great safety aid, and the research on the above website supports this view.
Cheers
S80
Blinded by the lights - Andrew-T
>I keep my headlights on during the day, not to see where I am going, my eyesight is perfect, but to make sure others spot me.<

The use of headlights
(a) helps a driver to see ahead,
(b) helps others to see his vehicle, but also
(c) can make other important objects less visible, due to a hazy windscreen, optical flare in the receiver's eye, or reflections from wet road surfaces. Most contributors to this thread seem to be concerned with (b). A little more thought about (c) is what is being asked for.
On principle, I would not object to daytime running lights provided that they did not dazzle like dipped headlights do, which is why I do not use dipped beam on the bike and I find it annoying when approaching vehicles do.

Perhaps the answer is LED lights, which although bright do not project a beam.
Blinded by the lights - madf
Anyone who drives on main beam headlights during the day (as opposed to dipped) will blind oncoming traffic.
So by common definition they are thoughtless, irrepsonsible and a danger to others.. (irrespective of whether they dirve a morobike/car or whatever).

madf

Blinded by the lights - codefarm
>>> If I meet an oncoming motorcycle that has main beam headlights on in broad daylight then I put my headlights on main beam also. I reckon that if said motorcyclist needs main beam to see where he is going in daylight then I need to do everything I can to make sure that he can see me.<<<

Disagree. I don't blame the motorcyclist for doing everything he can to make himself as visible as possible. I've seen plenty do this and it's never bothered me.
I've yet to work out how blinding oncomming drivers makes the road safer for me.

Have I missed something?
Blinded by the lights - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK using main beam, day or night and to the inconvenience of oncoming drivers, is inconsiderate and illegal.
Blinded by the lights - greenhey
Far less of a problem than the twonks who:
1. Have headlights and fogs on , often in daylight and when there's no fog around ( indeed in rain they create glare)
2. Will drive on sidelights , even in the country, although that's been illegal for (20?) years
3. Who have one light u/s
I love the autumn, but the downside is that I will be reminded once again about the increasing numbers of these people
Blinded by the lights - Smileyman
In Scandinavia all cars have low beam or day running lights on whenever the engine is on. That is why Volvos started to do so here.

To use high beam with oncoming traffic is dangerous probably illegal,and deserving of points. I use dim dip or low beam in daylight, and only low beam at night.

The sun low in the sky, wet roads reflecting the sun, falling rain/snow, mistyness or low daylight are all times when I like to be sure I can be easily seen by other motorists. I hate having to strain my eyes looking in the distance or mirrors to see if the object is another vehicle, such as when overtakings, changing lase etc.

See and be seen.

As for bikes, all the same applies except they are smaller and easier to miss. And more likely to be injured in any accident. So be safe - be seen, first time, every time. I do not want the responsiblity on my conscious of injuring any other road user, so make it easy for me to see you and know where you are.
Blinded by the lights - expat
In Australia driving on dipped lights during the day is encouraged for country roads. They are even talking about making it compulsory in South Australia.

I always put dipped lights on when out of town. You only have to watch a line of cars coming towards you to realise how much earlier you spot one with its lights on. You certainly shouldn't use main beam when approaching other vehicles either day or night but dipped is designed not to dazzle.
Blinded by the lights - Xileno {P}
Currently a recommendation in France at the moment. Apparently the Government is reviewing it this September. Have heard that bikers are not too enthusiastic about it.
Blinded by the lights - Nickdm
In France, biker groups are DEAD AGAINST the idea of cars running with their dipped headlamps on during the day (from mid-Oct to mid-March). Here's their "logic" (btw I don't understand it...):

if bikes run with dipped headlamps on, but cars don't = bikes will stand out from cars on the road;

if bikes & cars BOTH run with dipped headlamps = bikes cannot be seen, they are "drowned in a sea of light" (quote from a bike group spokesperson, not me).

???

Regardless or not of whether you agree with their logic, the bike movement seem to conveniently forget that dipped headlamps in Winter are also to help CARS see other cars. This is a motion to improve road safety for everyone.

BTW, I believe DRLs are now required in Poland too in Autumn/Winter, in addition to Scandinavia.
Blinded by the lights - LHM
My take on this is to use dipped headlights during the day in the following conditions:

a) A general reduction in light level due to rain, fog or other weather conditions

b) Overtaking on single-carriageway roads

c) Driving through wooded areas with overhanging trees

d) Waiting to make right-hand turns across fast-moving traffic on regular A-roads

Although contrary to the Highway Code , I am a keen 'flasher' (the local constabulary has been informed!) so avoid running on dipped beam as a matter of course to make the flash more obvious.

One possible down-side of DRLs is that they may appear an act of aggression by other road users, who may take other 'retaliatory' action.....

Also, if everyone started doing it maybe it would lose effectiveness.
Blinded by the lights - David Horn
Driving in heavy spray on M62 Saturday morning, astonished by number of people who didn't have lights on. Silver cars just appeared out of the mist.

I honestly feel that anyone who's dazzled by dipped beam in the daylight needs to visit an optician. If you're dazzled in the day, you must be exceptionally dangerous at night as you would be completely night-blinded every time an oncoming car approaches.
"2. Will drive on sidelights , even in the country, although that's been illegal for (20?) years"

Sorry, Greenhey, I didn't quite grasp that. Are you refering to daytime or nightime motoring ?

I drive on sidelights all the time in daylight. Two reasons : 1. I used to own a Volvo, and never had the risk of forgetting to switch on the lights at dusk - hence grew to like it. 2. My present car is very forgiving of this. The ignition switch also switches off the lights, and there is no risk of leaving lights on and flatting the battery.

I knew that it would increase my fuel consumption, but the New Scientist article partially quanifies it, giving comparisons.

A. LED daytime running lights - about 0.33 mpg, cost £5.28/year.

B. Dipped headlights - 1.4 mpg, cost £24.66/year

C. Tyre underinflated by 6 psi - 3 mpg, cost £52.84/year

It doesn't give a figure for normal sidelights. Does anybody have a feel for this, and knows where I can procure LED running lights to replace normal bulbs ?
Blinded by the lights - LHM
Hillman,

Although I haven't seen the NS 'calculations', I very much doubt that the 0.15 horsepower used by dipped headlights would make a 1.4mpg difference to the long-term real-world fuel consumption of most cars....
Blinded by the lights - spikeyhead {p}
Its about a 1/5th of a hp, so on a motor with 130bhp available, then its going to put a dent into the power by about 1/650, so if you currently get 650 miles per tank you'll be down to 649. I can't see anyone mananging to measure it.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
When I said it was "illegal" to drive on sidelights, what I meant was, that in condtions where lights are needed , sidelights on not sufficent on a moving vehicle . I know there used to be an exception to this in towns with street lighting, but I'm not sure if that's still OK.
Everynight thousands of people use sidelights at dusk ,presumably going to headlights in darkness, and I reckon the sidelights phase is not OK.
Also sidelights don't help in fog or spray , which is another time people use them
It's worth a try to check the NS calculations, I'll ask..

Still not answered - Does anybody know where to procure LED sidelight bulbs ?
Blinded by the lights - madf
"Does anybody know where to procure LED sidelight bulbs ?"

May I suggest you learn to search ebay. Took me all of 5 seconds:-)

search.ebay.co.uk/led-sidelight-bulbs_W0QQfromZR40

madf

Blinded by the lights - Clanger
I bought a pair similar to these. The wires were too short to make any contact with the supply in the bulb-holder. The second pair the seller sent me were marginally better but their light output is negligible. Can't recommend them.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Blinded by the lights - drbe
Why are they not legal for road use?

Don
They aren't legal for road use because the regs specify that forward lights or reversing lights ( ie the lights that indicate to you a vehicle is moving towards you ) have to be white ; and rear lights red
Blinded by the lights - drbe
They aren't legal for road use because the regs specify that
forward lights or reversing lights ( ie the lights that indicate
to you a vehicle is moving towards you ) have to
be white ; and rear lights red

Sorry; but there are various colours shown on Ebay. Are the white ones legal for road use?
Blinded by the lights - henry k
Still not answered

It is below
>>Does anybody know where to procure LED
sidelight bulbs ?

YES
www.performancebulbs.co.uk/
"Prism single LED 5W white sidelights
Again these have a single LED in, which makes them VERY bright - these are suitable for road use - but might be show cars only due to the brightness....
Very good bulbs. Order no.: 5WLEDW £5.29"

Their words. Over to you.