Sluggish Acceleration With Fiesta - John Bullen
I have a Fiesta Encore 1.30 P reg. The car has quite suddenly developed a problem which causes sluggish acceleration both from a standing start and when moving up through the gear box.

I know it could be a whole host of things from simply needing a new set of plugs to a faulty ECU and anything in between. I guess what I really asking people to do is give me some idea what the 'in between' stuff might be. (I've changed the plugs and leads all to no avail).

It's a very open ended question and I appreciate that but if folks could give me some pointers I'd appreciate it - any comments would be appreciated,

John
Sluggish Acceleration With Fiesta - Adam {P}
I'm reluctant to say because whenever anyone uses the term "sluggish" and "Ford", I always say it.

Oh what the hell - I had the same problem and it turned out to be a knackered cat which had become blocked.
--
Adam
Sluggish Acceleration With Fiesta - Doc
Check the air filter.
Could be blocked.

Fiesta - Acceleration Dies at 3000rpm - John Bullen
Dear All,

Just an additional note to the message I posted below. {threads merged as related to the same subject. DD}

I guess a better description of what is going on is the car seems to accelerate normally but once the revs get above approx. 2500-3000 rpm the whole thing seems to die off (for those of you that have driven diesels it feels the same way as when you accelerate hard in a diesel, it pulls away and speeds up nicely but once you get to about 5500-6500 everything dies off - it's the same feeling but it's happening at 2500-3000rpm).

I take on-board both comments below, is there anyway I can check for a melted catalyst?

Anymore thoughts on what it might be?

John
Fiesta - Acceleration Dies at 3000rpm - Kingpin
I had a similar problem with a 1990 Fiesta which turned out to be a collapsed baffled in the exhaust silencer causinga blockage.
It felt like when you reached 3000 rpm approx you were at a brick wall and the car wouldn't go any further, ie strangled feeling to the engine. I got a new system fitted and it cured the problem. Previously it made an odd wheezing sound from the tailpipe with the blockage in place. This may be your problem.
If you were on the motorway it would struggle and gasp to reach 60mph. These engines are pretty tough and should rev (if noisily) to their limit. I would check the Cat and exhaust for problems. Not sure how to approach it though - perhaps dismantle the exhaust system?