Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - Adam {P}
It's probably me being silly - no. It isme being silly but since the car had it's cambelt done, there's a whine. No - I wouldn't call it a whine as such - that indicates something bad. This really sounds like a turbo whine. You can hear it above 2,000 revs. The car runs perfectly, Mum thinks I'm crazy but I can definitely hear one.

I'm not complaining - I'm just curious as to what it is. It sounds...strange.
--
Adam
Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - Number_Cruncher
Adam,

Does it make the noise straight away from cold?

If the noise develops as your car warms up, I would first check that none of the belts are too tight. As the engine expands, the pulleys move further apart, further tensioning the belts.

Number_Cruncher
Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - Xileno {P}
Mum's right ;-)

I would leave it a week, see if it beds in.
I never paid attention NC to be honest. I'll go out tonight when it's cooled down to see.

It had a lumpy tickover last night which seems to have cleared now. The petrol light had been on for 10 miles so I put it down to that.

Thanks X. What a pal! Unless someone comes on in the meantime saying I'm about to destroy my engine, I'll leave it a week and see what happens. The irony would be pretty funny if I had a cambelt snap after getting it done.

Funny in a peculiar way though.

Thanks to both of you though for your suggestions.
--
Adam
Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - Civic8
As NC said.worth getting it checked out asap.
--
Steve
I will on Monday.

Thanks Steve.
--
Adam
Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - adverse camber
they did do the tensioner as well didnt they ?

didnt they ?

didnt they ?
I think so.

I think so.

I think so.
--
Adam
Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - Aprilia
Always difficult to speculate without hearing it, but a whine following a belt change usually means the belt's a bit tight.
Lumpy running means they put it on a tooth out.
Ohh Jeeez.

I take it you're going to tell me it needs sorting yesterday?
--
Adam
Booked in for Monday.

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know how it goes.
--
Adam
Hi.

Sorry to be a pain but if it was a tooth out, would it run rough or just idle rough?

When I put the aircon on and the fan kicks in, it idles fine.
--
Adam
Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - Aprilia
It would run a bit lumpy and be a bit down on power.
If a tooth out - call the dentist ;-)
Effectively your engine timing is out so it is likely to run rough and idle a bit rough as well. But it depends, some engines are more tolerant to being set up wrong.

Is there any pinking?
No - no pinking. I've just got it back and the vacuum pipe? was split which was replaced FOC. I was made up but about 15 minmutes into the journey home, the whining came back. I'd had the aircon on so never noticed a problem until I turned it off and the fan switched off which is when it started running a little lumpy. It drove fine and I'm pretty sure there's no loss of power. Mum still doesn't think there's anything wrong!

When I put it up the drive, the battery light came on and it stalled when I dipped the clutch. It's done that twice in the entire lifetime of the car - the last time being Christmas Eve so I thought my battery was on the way out. Also, you may recall me having a squeaking noise when cold which Aprillia diagnosed as a worn alternator belt. I've not had that changed either as the weather has warmed up and to be honest, I forgot all about it.

It's going to be very difficult for me to get it back to the garage and they've done a lot of stuff free so I don't want to go back "on the bounce".

Now I'm going to ask two questions. Don't panic - I'm not going to leave the problems there I'm just asking;

1) What would be the result of leaving the timing out (if it is on the wrong tooth)

2) What would be the result of leaving an overtight belt (if it is overtight) for say, a week?

I appreciate all the help guys,

Cheers,

--
Adam
1. Not really advisable. In the short run probably won't do any harm but effectively the timing is out so a poor running engine might harm the cat. Meow!

2. Depends how overtight it is. My VW had an overtight belt when it was changed, garage said it would settle in after a week and it did. Ideally it shouldn't be overtight, it's slack workmanship in my opinion.
Nice pun X!

One more thing Sir, ::puts cigar in mouth a la Columbo::

It was serviced at the same time. Could anything have happened then to make it idle funny?
--
Adam
Ah, the plot thickens. You have just said they serviced it at the same time. So the problem might be nothing to do with the cambelt. It could be something they did on the service is causing the problem.

I don't think anyone here can help any more without seeing or hearing the noise.

Sorry

I'd be very happy if it turned out the lumpy running was something to do with the service and the whining turned out to be the belt which could stretch in a week.

I could try and record both noises but it depends how they'd sound once I have.

Many thanks again,

--
Adam
Right - I've just gone and taken a quick video but I've got nowhere to upload it to.

You can definitely hear the whine even though the sound quality is pretty poor.

Interestingly though - the revs stayed perfect at idle and the needle only moved ever so slightly. If it were a cambelt, would they not be funny all of the time?

Cheers
--
Adam
It's very sad replying to my own messages I know but problem solved...or rather problem cleared up.

Dad popped in on the way home as the bloke who owns it is his mate. Anyway - turns out that they took the belt off again before to double check as they too thought it was what was described here with the timing belt but (fortunately) it was spot on. Turns out they never replaced that vacuum thingy but repaired it and said I *may* need to get it replaced if it starts sucking air in but from what I understand that would only cause hunting - nothing more.

In any event, thanks very much for the help. I can breathe a sigh of relief now it's all sorted but your help was very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adam

P.S. - You missed out on a cracker of a movie - I had zoom effects and panning on the rev counter too! ;-)
Turbo Whine - On a Focus?!? - lezebre
Never underestimate Mum's advice.

This german fellow in the (translated) book I was reading was always getting valuable advice from this source. He decided to file his contact breaker points flat - pre microprocessor days - and Mama came out to ask him what he thought he was doing, it was going well, so why disturb the workings? He persisted anyway despite the dire warnings.

The very next time the car went out, it ground to a halt, but with a puncture.
Naturally our guy tried to explain that there couldn't possibly be any connection between the ignition service he had carried out and a blowout, but Mums always know best, and she insisted that he shouldn't have pulled the wires apart under the bonnet, and here was the result.

In the tyre depot the helpful fitter explained: "We found a sharp piece of metal in the tyre. It was one of thoe little gadgets that people use to file down the points"
The very reason I never changed the belt earlier.

Mum always said "Well - you could change it and it snap the next day".

Of course, if it snaps now I won't be impressed.
--
Adam