Neat touches - cheddar
You know, those small things either asthetic or functional that set a car apart.

I.e. I had a Montego as a company car around 1990, a Rover i'll have you not an Austin! The wipers were very clever for the time, they sat on a plastic scuttle panel under the back edge of the bonnet so the galss of the screen was completely clear, when you turned them on they moved onto the screen then mover back and forth, only when turned off did they park themsleves back on the scuttle panel. Even on intermittent (variable too!) they moved on to the screen and stayed on the screen between wipes until switched off again.
Neat touches - blue_haddock
i love the boot relase button on the 407 - it's in the middle of the 0 in 407.

Not a major thing but i like it!
Neat touches - mare
The Citroen C3 has a couple which i really like, perhaps some other cars have them:

- child locks on the rear doors that are operated by a switch in the front.
- you can switch most of the dash lights off at night (a la Saab)

And the Montego smaller sibling the Maestro: fold the rear seats down in most cars, and you're left with a parcel shelf to put somewhere. In the Maestro, it folded onto the back of the rear seats. Neat eh? Obviously all the car companies don't think so...
Neat touches - Manatee
Happy not to have too many gadgets, but some I like, trivial or otherwise -

Bonnet lifts, instead of a wire prop.

A nearside door mirror that tilts to show the kerb when reverse is selected.

Auto-dimming rear view mirror.

Puddle lights.

Reading lights.

Cruise control (for keeping to speed limits - don't agree it is dangerous, with practice).

Self-levelling.

Heated windscreen.

Park sensors.

Automatic gearbox.

The CRV I currently drive has only one of these - is that why Hondas are relatively trouble free?
Neat touches - AngryJonny
Assuming this is what you mean by puddle lights, my Galant has lights on the bottom edge of the doors that shine on the ground when the door's open so you can see the road. The lights are red on the sides so that other drivers are alerted that your door's open. That's a nice touch.

I always liked the windscreen wiper on the W124 Mercedes. Just the one wiper on the front, centered in the middle of the screen, but it gets longer and shorter during its sweep so it gets into the corners of the screen.
Neat touches - Pezzer
The AUX socket in the armrest of my 1. Also the ability to lower the windows with the remote on these warm days when it has been stuck outside the office all day.

Dont like the autodimming rearview - its too dark and you cant undim it (to see if its plod coming up behind you :-))

P
Neat touches - Citroënian {P}
...the ability to lower the windows with the remote on these warm days...

The Mini did this, but you couldn't then raise them again with the remote without putting it in the door (unlike, say an Alfa 147). Better still, if you sat on the remote when it was in your pocket, it would unlock the doors and then open the windows. After a while it would realise you'd not actually opened a door and lock them again. Not much use with the windows wide open though.....

One of my favourite touches is an arrow on the fuel guage showing the side of the filler cap. - Fuel range on the trip computer is a great invention too.

-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Neat touches - nick
The easily accessible gearbox dipstick on Subaru Legacies.
The indicator/lights/wiper controls on the early Citroen CX, all on pods you could reach with one finger with your hand on the wheel.
Non-self-cancelling indicators on Citroens.
The hydraulic suspension on Citroens, especially the earlier ones, nice to be able to increase the ride height for floods or rough ground and so comfortable.
Interior boot and fuel cap releases on many cars.
The big door pockets on Mk1 minis.
Neat touches - BazzaBear {P}
From my Fiat Coupe:

Aesthetic:

Motorbike style filler cap
The badge on the B-piller saying '20V turbo' has a swoosh across it. (that's not the neat bit). The swoosh is body coloured (that's the good bit. You probably have to see it)
FM aerial is the top two lines of the heating element, meaning no scruffy external aerial.
Mrs Bangles bottom (I might have to explain this, but let's see if anyone gets it)
Hidden door handles
Body coloured dash panel
Those wheel arch slashes

Functional:
Gas stay bonnet struts
6th gear
max-defrost setting on the air-con. one switch and it does all the settings for instant windscreen clearing.
Neat touches - Alfafan {P}
I always thought the petrol filler cap behind the number plate on early 60s Zephyrs pretty neat.
Neat touches - Xileno {P}
Renault keyless entry. I thought at first it was just a gimmick but now I wouldn't want to be without it. I find having to use keys on my VW a real bore. Kids love the keyless entry, they rush up to the car to be the first to place their hand on the handle to unlock it and then argue over who gets to press the button on the dashboard...

Now other manufacturers are copying it.
Neat touches - Adam {P}
* One of my Dad's mates bought a Scenic and showed me the card - I was fascinated with it! So yes - that goes in.

* Global closing. Now I should point out, despite mine being a Ghia, Ford decided there were two levels of Ghia - the good one and the bad one. It looks like I got the bad one so I don't actually have this but holding the lock button in would close all the windows and holding the open button down would open all of the windows. That would look pretty cool when walking up to your car.

* The Merc habit of putting that computer in the middle of the dial.

* The Merc habit of pressing unlock and every light in the entire car lighting up

* The Merc habit of on an estate when you press the boot opn button the parcel shelf retracts electronically

* The way the boot button on a Renault is the middle bit of the.."diamond".

*The way on a lot of Japanese cars you have an ignition light to show you where to point the key. You wouldn't think this would be useful but at night, it's great!

* They way on a Merc (estate but I guess the saloon has it) that you can press a button and all of the rear head restraints pop down.

As you can tell, I'm easily impressed!

--
Adam
Neat touches - David Horn
I like the way the interior lights come on when I unlock the doors.
Neat touches - No FM2R
>>so I don't actually have this

I think that's programmable/selectable. Have you checked ?
Neat touches - Adam {P}
I was told you needed 4 electric windows. Being the LX side of Ghia - I don't have them.

I'd be your best friend forever if you were right though.
--
Adam
Neat touches - No FM2R
>>I'd be your best friend forever if you were right though.

I'm wrong. Really, really, I'm wrong. Please God, I'm wrong.
Neat touches - Adam {P}
;o
--
Adam
Neat touches - Blue {P}
> I was told you needed 4 electric windows. Being the LX side of Ghia - I don't have them.
I'd be your best friend forever if you were right though.
--
Adam

I don't think the all round electrics and global closing were brought into effect until the 2001 facelift mate. Neither was standard CD player, Alloy wheels, or even body coloured handles... :-)

"LX side of Ghia" is probably the best way I've ever heard the old Focus Ghia described!

Blue
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>
Now other manufacturers are copying it>>

I've been driving various Mercedes S-Class models with this feature for several years.

Love asking people to open their door and, when they can't, watch their faces when I walk up and am able to do so.

The credit card sized "key" can be programmed to allow only the driver's door to be opened or all four, which is similar to the feature on my VW Bora's remote control.

But I do find nearside door mirrors that swivel to show the nearside kerb when reverse gear is engaged extremely annoying....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Neat touches - Adam {P}
Stuart's just reminded me.

I like the lights in the Merc wingmirrors

I like the way the wingmirrors fold in when you get out of the car

That's it....for now.
--
Adam
Additional functional ones which I'd forgotten:

When you unlock the car the interior lights comeo on, and they stay on until you turn the key in the ignition.

The headlight system, which seems to be common to Italian cars. I have no idea why others don't use this, as it seems by far the most sensible system. If you turn the ignition off, the headlights turn off with it. No intensely irritating buzzer, and no flat batteries. If you want to leave parking lights on, just press a thumb button and turn the key back one extra space, and you can, but it makes it utterly impossible to accidentally leave the lights on, and of course (I can not overstate this) avoids that ANNOYING buzzer.
Neat touches - Adam {P}
My mate's Brava has that.

Needless to say, that impressed me too.
--
Adam
I always found the chiming quite soothing. Like someone tapping a goldfish bowl when I leave my lights on. Bong....bong....bong....

The only trouble is, it bongs for so many different things I usually just ignore it.
Having driven a Galant in both the US and the UK, here's something I noticed:

In the US they bong all over the place. If you put the key in the ignition before you close the door (which I do for the sake of somewhere to put the key) they bong to let you know the door's open. If you turn the key to the "on" position before fastening your seatbelt, they bong to let you know your seatbelt is unfastened. If you get out the car with the lights on, guess what?

In the UK there's the headlight warning, but that's it.
Neat touches - Adam {P}
They've had that for ages haven't then.

Beverly Hills Cop 1984 ish? Rosewood in that nice yellow Ford when he's on the stakeout.

Bong! Bong! Bong! Seems it was bonging to let him know he'd opened the door.

I pick up on these silly things.
--
Adam
Neat touches - PR {P}
The hidden rear door handles of my 156

Also, when you turn the engine off, the elec windows remain active for a minute or so, to close window if you or anyone else has forgotten.
Also, radio goes off with engine but you can then turn it back on without turning ignition back on, simple yet effective.
Neat touches - chris_w
Might be simple, but I like the 3 blips of the indicator for one push of the stalk in my Audi. Really struggle in other cars to keep my finger on it.

Couldn't ever have another car without a central arm rest either, although I tend to lean into the middle now.
My Sony radio beeps at me to remind me to remove the face when leaving the car.
Neat touches - Adam {P}
Mine did that.

I ignored it.

It got nicked.
--
Adam
Well, the car's going to be in Leeds again this year, so I'll be taking my chances even with the face removed. I didn't bother fixing the radio firmly in place, with a firm pull it'll slide right out.

Theory being I'd rather lose the radio than half the dash.
Neat touches - Adam {P}
It was the same with mine David. Having a stupid Ford stereo, I needed to get the fascia adapter which never sat flush with the dash. The lad tried started with a screwdriver but it would have slid right out without much effort anyway. He did damage the dash before he realised though.

Still - I learnt a lesson. I'll never specify an alarm as an option on any car. It was blazing away and no-one did anything!
--
Adam
Nah, the ideal security system (if you're very rich) is to set the airbags to deploy if the radio is removed while the alarm is sounding...
Neat touches - Adam {P}
Waste of a good airbag. Simply put spikes there instead.
--
Adam
What would be the legality of putting something lethal in your car? A bit like the airbag idea but with chlorine gas or something. When a thief is stealing the radio the doors slam shut and the car fills with poison? You put a sign on each window that says "Caution... breaking into this car will release a deadly dose of chorine gas. By breaking in you willfully acknowledge that you are committing suicide."

By providing the mechanism for someone to kill themselves and letting them know that misuse will kill them, are you liable for their death?
Neat touches - Adam {P}
I remember in a Business Studies lesson a few years ago we were given a sheet of silly lawsuits. The closest one I can think of was a burglar scaling the roof of a house he was about to do over.

He fell through and landed on a kitchen knife effectively stabbing himself.

He sued the houseowner and won.

On a different note but more motoring oriented, there was one of a bloke who bought a Winnebago. (no idea how you spell it). Anyway, he's driving along, decides to get up and roast a few chestnuts or whatever over his in-built fireplace. Unsurprisingly, the behemoth careered off the road.

He sued the Winnebago company and won forcing an addition to the manual saying something along the lines of "Please note - DO NOT leave the wheel of the vehicle when it is in motion".

I know I know. Those crazy Americans.
--
Adam
Neat touches - mare
I remember in a Business Studies lesson a few years ago
we were given a sheet of silly lawsuits. The closest one
I can think of was a burglar scaling the roof of
a house he was about to do over.
He fell through and landed on a kitchen knife effectively stabbing
himself.
He sued the houseowner and won.

That'll be the Occupiers Liability Act then
Neat touches - cheddar
The hidden rear door handles of my 156

Now that is one I dont like, interesting that they have gone back to conventional handles on the beautiful 159.
Neat touches - cheddar
Re auto dimming rear view mirror, on the Mondeo you can switch it off.

Re radios, I like the way that some switch off if left on, I have put the Mondeo radio/CD on while cleaning the car (no key needed), if I forget to turn it off it switches off after an hour unless adjusted in the mean time, i.e. volume etc, the time frame can be adjusted throgh the menu.

I also thing the random play CD (shuffle) is great, I have that at home and missed it in the car before I got the Mondeo.
Neat touches - mjm
2 on the Xantia, the dipping door mirror on the passenger side and the simple plastic clip on the windscreen surround to hold car park tickets.

The mirror trick is only useful after you remember to look directly behind as well, and not just stare into it----
Neat touches - BlueSonicBoy
One I recently discovered on my 1990 Honda Prelude:
If the electric aerial is up, pulling the internal boot release makes the aerial retract. Then when the boot is closed the aerial reappears!
Neat touches - cheddar
Just great if you are listening to the test match while the wife is loading the boot!
Neat touches - adverse camber
Sounds like a fix for poor positioning of the aerial in the first place ;)
Neat touches - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
Never used it - just tested it when I read the manual, but the Punto has "follow me home"
I thought it meant you could not leave it in a carpark, but it really means that when you turn off the headlights, you can pull the light stalk several times, and the more times you pull it, the longer the lights stay on so you can get into the front door safely. Nice touch.
I DO like the "finishing wipe" on Punto HLX's
I quite liked the rain sensing windscreen wipers on the 406, but they would usually go off when I went into a tunnel.. Ah, the fun we had!
Neat touches - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
Back in the late 80's (1989?) A friend's dad bought some car from the US of A, brand new and shipped it to the UK. (About 30,000 USD)
I recall it had keypad entry (wow!), dipping rear mirror (hmm), and, the one that got me, automatic seatbelts! On an arm that came from somewhere and belted you one.

Think it might have been a Ford something..
Neat touches - Nsar
Heated washer nozzles - should be standard safety eqpt on every car.
On a Focus, little flaps that rotated down from the sides of headrests so that you could go the sleep without getting a stiff neck, so simple.
On a Focus, little flaps that rotated down from the sides
of headrests so that you could go the sleep without getting
a stiff neck, so simple.

Urm. Not on the driver's seat, surely?
Neat touches - Nsar
Oddly enough, no
Neat touches - daveyjp
The mini sun visor on Audis that fills the gap above the rear view mirror for those times when having both visors down doesn't block out the sun.

I'm also a fan of 'curry hooks'.
Neat touches - mare
The mini sun visor on Audis that fills the gap above
the rear view mirror for those times when having both visors
down doesn't block out the sun.

That's in the Octavia too
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>That's in the Octavia too>>

...and the Bora....
Neat touches - Stuartli
simple yet effective.>>

Back to my 1999 Bora (and presumably Golfs as well), the electric windows front and rear can be operated after the ignition has been switched off for up to 10 minutes unless a door has been opened (they can also be closed or opened with the key in the driver or passenger's door locks); the Gamma sound system goes off with the ignition, but can then be turned on again with a push of the volume control knob if necessary.

It would seem there's nothing new under the sun but they do make life a little more pleasant...:-)
Neat touches - Stuartli
One annoying aspect of the Bora - not sure if it also relates to Golfs - is just how low the front air dam is above ground level.

Even a modest speed bump can bring the grinding/scraping of plastic on rough edged speed bumps, no matter how slowly they are taken; using some roads in our area which have the bigger bumps over a fair distance brings undisguised reactions from drivers held up behind as I carefully negotiate each bump.

Trouble is that there's not always an alternative route to get to where I want to go.
Neat touches - mare
One annoying aspect of the Bora - not sure if it
also relates to Golfs - is just how low the front
air dam is above ground level.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but my Octavia did this as well, really annoying and quite unnerving until you realise that it's only the sump guard being battered.

Huge boot though. Massive.
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>Huge boot though. Massive>>

Yes, but even then doesn't come near the Jetta or the Seat Toledo based on the same chassis - 23cu ft of space.

I sometimes used to have to climb into the boot of two Jettas I had over 11 years to get at small items lodged at the base of the rear seat.
Neat touches - codefarm
E34Kid, you're right about American cars "bonging". You get a bong for everything.

What I really like on my Chrysler Pacifica, is you press a button on the key, and the tailgate bongs twice (of course) and then slowly raises itself up. Great when you have a couple of handfuls of kids/shopping.

And when closing it there's no need to slam, you just lower it and you can hear the motors whirring as it closes and locks itself.

Neat touches - henry k
The headlight system, which seems to be common to Italian cars.
I have no idea why others don't use this, as it
seems by far the most sensible system. If you turn the
ignition off, the headlights turn off with it. No intensely irritating
buzzer, and no flat batteries. If you want to leave parking
lights on, just press a thumb button and turn the key
back one extra space, and you can, but it makes it
utterly impossible to accidentally leave the lights on, and of course
(I can not overstate this) avoids that ANNOYING buzzer.

>>
I hated this dangerous feature in the UNO
I want to control when I switch off ALL the lights.
I do not want to fiddle about putting side lights back on.
plus why did they leave the dash lights on when using the parking mode. More Italian logic?
I do not want someone ramming me up the tail.
My old Sierra just switched off the headlights when the igition was turned off.
Neat touches - owie

As a Fiat Coupe owner myself,I know the answer to this one,but promise not to shed any light on it!!
Neat touches - owie
Sorry BazzaBear,I meant the bit about Mrs Bangle`s bottom.
Neat touches - John S
Bazza

Mrs Bangle's bottom?

Got to be the shape of those light covers hasn't it?

JS
Neat touches - Roberson
Having a fairly bread and butter car gives fairly bread and butter neat touches:

- Parcel shelf storage (not unlike the above mentioned maestro). If you have to carry tall items in the boot as well as rear seat passengers, you can store the shelf behind the rear seat back rest. This means you can still carry it with you and not have it rattle around in an inconvenient place

- Ergonomic radio location. The radio is placed at the very top of the dashboard, above all of the heater controls, right next to the instrument binnacle. This means you don't have to go faffing around down the bottom of the dashboard to shove a tape/CD in. You'll be amazed at the amount of cars that still have clumsily placed radio which is far too low down.

- Heating. Quite a simple, and no doubt old, setup of being able to have cold air to the face and hot air to the feet. Cozy feet and a refreshed face make for quite comfortable driving.

On the theme of removable radio fronts, VW were proud to announce in their brochure, the 'removable radio' which was fitted as standard to my model. In the time before removable fronts, it seemed a good idea to be able to remove the radio in its entirety. Quite what you were supposed to do with it once removed, no one knows because even the most cavernous of handbags couldn't carry an entire car radio. Well, people must have been more easily pleased in 1993!
Neat touches - VR6
Mk5 Golf - if you have your front wipers on, and select reverse, the rear wiper will automatically switch on until reverse is de-selected.

Also, there is a small VW Roundel inside the front lights.
My Alfa 145 Cloverleaf:
The oil dipstick had a cloverleaf inset into the handle.
Neat touches - SjB {P}
> Mk5 Golf - if you have your front wipers on, and select reverse, the rear wiper will automatically switch on until reverse is de-selected.

Ditto my 2003 Volvo V70 and, I seem to recall, my father's 1989 Rover 820i.

Writing of wipers, what I really like about the V70 and an increasing number of other cars are the rain sensing variety that switch on automatically (having activated the system) and adjust speed automatically. Some people hate them, but having learned the sensitivity options best for different rain droplet sizes (in practice there are only two needed) I love them and get on well with them. I'd much rather make one adjustment per journey than have to fiddle with the stalk continually adjusting speed or - in very light rain - becoming a 'human intermittent switch' (my bête noir).

Talking about neat design touches though, there are too many to list on the V70, but a simple one that I especially like is the rotary control setup for the HU-803 head unit; much tidier to look at and use than a plethora of buttons, and I don't know why Volvo have reverted to separate buttons from the current model year.
Neat touches - CheapNcheerfull
My old Lancia Spyder, Oil Level indicator and oil temp gauge amongst all the other aray of gauges.
Neat touches - frostbite
My old Lancia Spyder, Oil Level indicator and oil temp gauge
amongst all the other aray of gauges.

>>

Now you mention that - the 30-0-30 ammeter in my old Austin 12.
Neat touches - nick
My old Lancia Spyder, Oil Level indicator and oil temp gauge
amongst all the other aray of gauges.

>>
That reminds me... the fuel gauge that doubled as an oil level gauge in a 1964 Rover 100 I used to have.
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>it seemed a good idea to be able to remove the radio in its entirety.>>

My second Jetta had an excellent Panasonic unit mounted at the top of the centre console - as you rightly state, easy to use and, if you wished, remove.

But despite the carrying handle I never ever did remove it for any reasons of security and no one who was not authorised to do so ever tried over eight years' ownership...:-)
Neat touches - henry k
Focus turning the internal light out after 20/30 mins

Sierra saloon had rear combined side/fog lights and separate stop lights. RR had the same configuration of stop lights.
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>ocus turning the internal light out after 20/30 mins>>

Seconds, surely?
Neat touches - henry k
>>Focus turning the internal light out after 20/30 mins>>
Seconds, surely?
- - - - - - - - - - -

NO - 20/30 minutes.
I only found this out accidentally.
I sitting in the Focus, waiting in the dark, and reading a book by the internal light when hey presto after 20/30 mins it turned itself off.
I have had do the same trick since.
I think it is a feature though not seen it mentioned anywhere.
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>I think it is a feature though not seen it mentioned anywhere>>

VW interior lights go off when you turn on the ignition or about 20 seconds after removing the ignition key to provide illumination while you and/or passengers get out.

It's certainly not an uncommon feature in this instance but, in your case, 20 to 30 minutes seems rather a long time...
Neat touches - henry k
>>I think it is a feature though not seen it mentioned anywhere>>
VW interior lights go off when you turn on the ignition or about 20 seconds after removing the ignition key to provide
illumination while you and/or passengers get out.

>>
The Focus does this too but with "theatre dimming"

Perhaps my original posting was a little unclear.
I had manually turned on the normal courtesy internal light in order to read a book. It was then timed outafter 20/30 minutes, much to my surprise, leaving me in the dark.
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>but with "theatre dimming>>

Yes, VWs and no doubt other marques are the same.

Presumably the difference in your particular instance is to prevent the possibility of the battery running flat if the interior light isn't turned off?

One thing that I do think might well be a good idea but one I've never experienced are headlights that direct the beams in the direction you steer.
Neat touches - AlastairW
The Focus does this too but with "theatre dimming"

Its not just the dimming. What I really like is when you have the lights on, stop and turn off the ignition, the interior lights come on so that you can get your self ready to meet your public.
Neat touches - tyro
In both my Ford Ka and my Citroen Berlingo:

Car windows that you can wind up and down without having a key in the ignition.
Neat touches - henry k
Yaris speedo that the front seat passenger has no chance of viewing.

Yaris temp gauge that initially shows red then blue then hides itself unless problems occur.

I think it is SAAB that have double sunvisors.>> You know, those small things either asthetic or functional that set
Neat touches - Round The Bend
Blue dash panel display on VW Passat.
This was the overiding feature that helped my decision to order the VW!
Neat touches - Pugugly {P}
Sensible lighting schemes on BMWs (and lots of other cars I'm sure)

BMW's unique Angel eye position light, very pretty (what for other than asthetic appeal, but what's wrong with that).

Follow me home headlights, handy in the bit of country I live.

Interior lights, that dim and light up as described in other cars
including the two "shine down" micro floodlights that light up the centre console at night.

Self cancelling interior lights (that saved me a flat battery a few weeks ago)

I-drive (Ducking for cover !!) totally ergonomic to a left hander.

Velcro boot coverings (in recent BMWs)

Parking sensors (including the graphic displays)

Neat touches - henry k
Sierra had a dip stick....for the washer bottle.
The Mk I eyeball can tell when the fluid is up to the brim and a low washer warning symbol is useful but in between ????

My own invented neat touch is a full set of spare bulbs sandwiched in between two blocks of foam and stored inside one of the rear light cluster covers.
Neat touches - grafen
Austin Sheerline - Lift the carpet up in the drivers footwell, press a button & watch the car raise itself on 4 hydraulic jacks...
Steering wheel radio controls. Will never buy another car without them. I fitted a new radio to my own car last month, and had to wait 3 weeks for the stalk adaptor to arrive. Made me realise just how much attention it requires to reach out and manually tune a station in.
Neat touches - Altea Ego
The goona is festooned with all these ideas, turning off radios, interior lights etc etc. but....

SAAB. Two visors, one for side windows if required. - Super idea.
Neat touches - P 2501
Honda accord

- Little circular led type light around the ignition switch

- Heated door mirrors, i always forget to scrape these

- CD auto changer which remembers which song i was playing when i turned it off

- Lockout switch for passenger and rear elec windows,stops kiddies fiddling with them

Neat touches - P 2501
Oh and the intermittant wipe which slows in frequency as the car slows down.
My VW. There's this handle thing on the door, you turn it one way and the window lowers, and then the other way it goes up. Brilliant, can't think why other manufacturers haven't thought of this.
Neat touches - JohnPug
Central locking, if you unlock the car and not open the doors. Two minutes later it relocks the doors.
Neat touches - cheddar
Dont' tell me, it works without the ignition!
Neat touches - cheddar
Soorry, my last post was in reply to Xileno.
Neat touches - cheddar
Hello All,

When I started this thread I was thinking of unique or almost unique features that have not been widely adopted though were/are great in respect of design, functionality and/or asthetics. Our Mondeo and Clio are full of variable wipe, auto re-lock, theatre dimming etc etc however there are seemingly very few really unique features such as the Montego wiper system in my first post, the Saab twin sun visors perhaps come closest among reasonably contemporary ideas.

Regards.
Neat touches - P 2501
Agree, everyone has been rambling on about what their car does and no one (including me) has really come up with anything of note.

I always liked the saab ignition down on the dash by the handbrake though. Does this qualify?
Neat touches - Adam {P}
If P 2501's Saab ignition suggestion is acceptable, then I'd like to put forward the Start button on the RS Focus.

And before anyone tells me, I know it's nothing new but not many cars now have this feature. In fact, I couldn't name you a single alternative.
--
Adam
If P 2501's Saab ignition suggestion is acceptable, then I'd like
to put forward the Start button on the RS Focus.
And before anyone tells me, I know it's nothing new but
not many cars now have this feature. In fact, I couldn't
name you a single alternative.
--
Adam

Fiat Coupe 20VT [6] ;)

And if the Focus one isn't brushed aluminium, then it just doesn't compare ;)
Neat touches - Adam {P}
Yeah but who wants a Fiat Cou....ahhh.

;-)
--
Adam
Neat touches - tyre tread
Hot Hondas have start buttone - S2000 and Civic Type R
Neat touches - Altea Ego
SAAB & Citroen are the only two manufacturers in recent years who actually did or do unique.

Both are being bashed into mainstream however.
Actually, should say that I think there have been plenty of aesthetic points on here which qualify according to Cheddars first post, but I'd agree that there have been very few functional ones.
Neat touches - cheddar
Fair enough.
Neat touches - Happy Blue!
Best neat touch on any the cars I have had has been remote opening of the boot lid. Only had that on the Merc. The Volvo unlocked the boot but it remained only open about 1cm. The Merc opened up fully. Excellent.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Neat touches - Altea Ego
Indeed remote boot opening all the way is a super idea. One company i know has lost three laptops this way. Scroats on bikes watch you one day, and have it away the next time.
Neat touches - Citroënian {P}
Citroen definitely went conventional for a bit with the Saxo/Xsara, but seem to be back on track -

fixed boss steering wheel - in-built air fresheners - lane departure warning system

they're getting there again!

-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Neat touches - LHM
The concave rear screen on the Citroën CX
Neat touches - henry k
The concave rear screen on the Citroën CX

>>
Other Citroen ideas
High level rear indicators

Brake button not a pedal. Discontinued cos the public want a big fat pedal like the old days.

SM, IRC had a very big red warning light that said STOP if something critical happened.

Boot lid, when open did not obsure the rear window.

Ability to change a wheel without a jack

Merc etc.
I do like the warnig triangle stored in the boot lid so that it is on view when the boot is opened. Simple place to store it for instant access. Others note.

Mondeo & others. An indication that an external bulb has failed.
Renault etc. Tyre pressure monitor.
I think these two features should be fitted as standard on all new vehicles.
Neat touches - Happy Blue!
Do the PSA cars still show the oil level in the temp gauge before the engine fires? That is very handy.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Neat touches - Stuartli
>>imple place to store it for instant access. Others note>>

Noted by VW for the Bora for at least six years...:-)
Noted by VW for the Bora for at least six years...:-) >>

Must be a German thing.
My mate's Peugoet has a separate oil level gauge under the rev counter, which shows oil level at first, then switches to oil temperature.
Neat touches - madf
" do like the warnig triangle stored in the boot lid so that it is on view when the boot is opened. Simple place to store it for instant access. Others note"
My 1988 BMW 320i had that.

Instant oil level . Push button on dash and fuel guage reads oil level.
My 1946 (!) Rover 16 had that.

Front windscreen demister/de-icer.
My Ford Fiesta has that. My brother's 1953 Ford Prefect had a cruder after market version that worked quite well

Rarely is anything new.

But one thing my 1946 Rover 16 had that none have had since : a one touch lower or raise driver side window.(manual). I suppose one touch electric windows are the same.. but you have to think how to operate them.. this was a highly geared manual lever: worked a treat especially when combined with overlapping glass at the top of the window to prevent drips falling into the car.

madf
Neat touches - Stuartli
We had a 1947 Austin 8 (I can still remember the registration number) that had a foot operated headlights dip switch, a front windscreen that could be opened outwards and upwards (early A/C?) and a piece of string, complete with large O-ring pull, running along the offside interior roofline that was used to raise the rear window blind to ensure the driver wasn't "dazzled" at night.

In the 1980s I discovered, after about three years of owning my first car, a marvellous Dove Grey Morris 1000, that releasing a hidden clip inside the top edge of the boot aperture allowed the rear seat to be folded flat for extra carrying space...:-)

Incidentally, the registration numbers for both these cars would probably be worth quite a bit these days if still owned.
Neat touches - cheddar
Yes, I should have mentioined heated front screen, my Mondeo has that and it is great on a frosty morning.
Neat touches - Adam {P}
I think we need a "Neat Touches Volume II" the way this is going!
--
Adam
Neat touches - Number_Cruncher
But one thing my 1946 Rover 16 had that none have
had since : a one touch lower or raise driver side
window.(manual). I suppose one touch electric windows are the same.. but
you have to think how to operate them.. this was a
highly geared manual lever: worked a treat especially when combined with
overlapping glass at the top of the window to prevent drips
falling into the car.

AEC trucks with the Ergomatic cab of the late sixties and early seventies had windows which worked like this.

This was further simplified with the Leyland incarnation of the Ergomatic cab, where the windows were vertically sliding, with no mechanism as such. The weight of the window was balanced by a clever use of a coiled torsion spring (like a fat watchspring). These windows, however, needed a seperate locking device because one could slide them just as easily from the outside!

I like this sliding window setup because it had very few parts, all of which were cheap to make, and was therefore very light.

Number_Cruncher
Neat touches - StephenC
1980 BMW 316 (E21 - old shape)
The heated rear window was switched on with a green illuminated button on the dash. The button could be rotated so that a polarised filter could be used to change the brilliance to the preferred level.
Also, the steering wheel hid this light except when turning a tight corner. Why do you need to know about the HRW all the time? Every 5 mins is enough, when you spin the wheel.
The important lights (eg indicator, main beam, fog lights) were visible all the time and were very large (thumbnail size) and low intensity (glowed). They couldn't be missed, unlike the little bulbs on many other cars.
On this car, pulling the interior door handle released the (manual) door locks. Similary, our current Fiat is locked by pushing in the interior door handles, so pulling on them unlock the (electric) door locks.

Neat touches - Avant
Madf's Rover 16 probably also had a freewheel, turned on by a big knurled wheel on the dashboard. Ever since childhood I have never understood what this device did that simply putting the car in neutral and coasting could not.

I'm not advocating coasting, just curious to know what the point of the freewheel was. I think early Saabs had this too.
Neat touches - tyre tread

I also like the rubber bung in the boot that allows you to check the pressure of the underslung spare tyre without having to remove it.

I like the height adjustable doorhandles/armrests.

I like the height adjustable centre arm rest.

I like the underbonnet lights that come on when the bonnet is open and are bright enough to perform basic repairs.

I like the separate heater for the rear passengers.

I like the individual rear reading lights set into the back of the front head rests.

I like the vents that open to draw in from fresh air from outside straight onto the feet of the driver/passener - individually.

I like the height adjustable seats for driver & front passenger.

I like petrol cap that locks from inside the boot.

and finally I like the Cup holders -

some of the above are not that unusual but this is in a 1970 P5 Rover designed in the fifties. Pure quality!

Oh, and I like the V8 burble but I hate the fuel consumption ;-)
Just thought of another one:
Volvo 440 - bonnet opens normally, but then if you're doing something which needs the extra space, you can push it further and put the stay into a different slot and it was open a full 90 degrees. Very handy for maintenance.
Neat touches - Leon on Derv
Not wishing to depart into the realms of fantasy, but I would like to have a car with polorising (is that the right term?) glass in the side / rear windows. Similar to reactions lenses, darkens in bright sunlight and returns to transparent when duller.

Would also like more outputs from the ECU similar to "delta dash" or SECS monitoring. Provides detailed display on whats going on under the bonnet. Not necessary on standard cars I know, but I like to be able to see whats going on.

Back to reality - I like my Impreza's turbo timer, although its a retrofit modification. Uses fuzzy logic to calculate how long the car should idle for to allow the turbo to cool after switching off. Can also be used to keep the car running without keys to warm it up - Soon as you drop the handbrake she'll stall, to reduce risk of theft - handy gadget during winter months. Oh and will also display AFR and O2 readings.

Leon
Neat touches - Tomo
My old man's Rover 14 (Sports Saloon, ie blanked in rear quarter lights) had that free wheel, which he would not use because he was a confirmed change down slowing man; he said brakes were for emergencies, which only happened if you had not been paying attention. The thing was supposed to save wear and petrol. On the SAAB it was a relic from the two stroke days, when the purpose was to prevent the engine revving with closed throttle and no lubrication on the overrun, leading to bearing trouble or even seizure. There still was one on my Wartburg.

A very neat touch on Rovers was the tool set in a slide out tray with sorbo rubber indentations shaped for each implement, under the passenger's cubby hole.
Neat touches - madf
I remember the freewheel and the tools on my Rover 16. I enjoyed clutchless gearchanges withe the freewheel - no syncro on 1st or 2nd(I think), - great when coasting along in a line of traffic.
Never had to use the toolkit - BMW keep theirs in the bootlid. Again it's for show.. I doubt many users actually use most bits except for the locking wheelnuts remover.

I rather liked the overdrive switch on the gearlever of my Triumph 2.5PI - worked on 2nd, 3rd and 4th giving a 7 speed gearbox with far less effort changing gear and clutchless operation of the o/d.

most modern cars have lots of gadgets but many are of little use and some aircon and music systems are too complex to use when driving imo.

madf

Neat touches - cheddar
I thought of overdrive though forgot to mention it before, I had it on a Dolomite Sprint though it only worked on 3rd and 4th thus giving 6 ratios, leaving it in overdive 3rd while waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic then flicking the overdrive off and flooring it to overtake then flicking it back in at 6500 rpm was great fun.