Peugeot 406 queries - Quinny
Just bought a very nice 99 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI at auction tonight,and notice it needs one or two minor things doing to it.

1.n/s/f and n/s/r/ indicators don't work,although the front wing one does.(Bulbs??)

2.n/s/r/brake light doesn't work.(Again bulb??)

3.Spanner light is on.How do you re-set it if you service a car yourself?

4.I'm assumimg it has climate control,but it's at 14deg,and it doesn't seem to move using the left hand button.Can it be turned down?

5.At 72k,is it due for a cambelt if it's not been changed?

Sorry to ask so many questions,but there was no book with it,but until I can speak to the previous owner tomorrow,I thought I'd ask you guys.
Spanner sorted.
Forgot.....

I only got 1 key with it,and that was to manually open the doors.Did they not come with remote central locking?
Peugeot 406 queries - Quinny100
Check the bulbs first. If its not those, the problem could be stalk as they're a bit fragile. Pray its not a problem with the multiplex wiring.

Climate control - not all models had it. I suspect the 14deg you mention is actually the outside temp gauge as the climate will only go down to 16. Has it got an A/C button? If so its not got climate.

All came with RCL - either the plip key is missing or its broken if it doesn't work.
Peugeot 406 queries - Quinny100
Cambelt interval is officially 100k on the HDi's, but some fleets do them at 80k. Its not an overly difficult job on these but the cam covers can be a PITA to get off as they put threadlock on at the factory.
Peugeot 406 queries - Mike M
Looking at my 406's handbook (a post-facelift '99 model), it refers to 'keys' - that is, more than one. Also it only refers only to keys that have a remote control button on them. If yours has a button then it could be that there is something wrong with the central locking because the key is also part of the electronic engine immobiliser, so if the engine is running then that part of the key is ok. Also check the battery (a CR2016)in the key - but you may need to reprogram the key in the ignition afterwards. Let me know if you need the instructions to do this. New keys cost £140+.

Quinny100: My 406 has climate control and an AC button.
Right.Some answers at last.

I've spoke to the previous owner tonight,and it seems he hasn't has it serviced since he bought it,2 1/2 years ago.Nor has he had the cambelt changed,and it's now reading 72k.This should all be rectified by the weekend.He said he had been quoted £400 for a service and cambelt,one of the reasons why he got rid of it!!!!(Think his garage must have been either a dealer,or Dick Turpin.)I have been quoted £125.

He also only ever had 1 key for it,the non remote type.Seems he must have been put off by the cost of a new one as well.

He also said that there was a knocking sound from the back end,which I can confirm there is,now and again.Any views on this would be most helpful.

He also mentioned the indicator stalk having a mind of it's own,which I also told him was correct.I pick up another one tomorrow morning,at a very reasonable sum.

Other than that,it's a very nice car,and has gone for a full interior valet,and engine and boot done as well,for £25.Not bad I thought.
Forgot.....

While I don't wish to disbelieve what Quinny100 says about the 100k on the cambelt,can anyone else confirm this from the manual,or should I change it now at 72k?
Peugeot 406 queries - CG
Quinny,

I had an HDi 90, X-plate, from new. The book said cambelt change at 96K service, but I chickened out at 90K. The one they took off was in remarkably good nick though. These engines don't have a reputation for belt probs, although make sure they check the water pump and idlers at the same time - my the pump on mine was weeping quite badly. £125 for a belt change is cheap! Bit concerned though that it hasn't been serviced in 2.5 years as diesels do need regular oil changes.

CG
Thanks CG.A service is very high on the priority list for it,and I may leave the belt until I come back off holiday in 3 weeks.Strangley enough,I'm off to it's spiritual home,France.At 72k,it should last until then.

One other thing about it though.....

I notice you can buy remote fobs off E.Bay,and was wondering how much they cost to have re-programmed,as opposed to buying a new one,and what about the actual key itself? How do you get around the problem of it not fitting your particular door?
Forgot again......

What about the back end knocking,and if it's the link bars,which ones is it likely to be,the long type,or the short type?
Peugeot 406 queries - Andrew-T
Quinny - I have the HDi 90 engine in a 99T 306. I was told to change the cambelt at 80K regardless of age. In my opinion 72K and 6 years old is about time, remembering the cost of a failure.
Peugeot 406 queries - Mike M
Quinny: My 406's handbook says 96k for a cambelt change, but mine was done at 60k, just before I bought it, so I don't know how much it cost. The water pump was changed at the same time (or did the water pump go and they changed the belt at the same time?). Could be cheaper to get it done while you're on holiday in France. And don't forget to check the condition of the crankshaft pully.

Mike M
Peugeot 406 queries - bimmer-driver
My mates Xantia with the HDi engine had to have it changed at 70k because the water pump was on the way out, sohe thought he might aswell change it then.

Ben
£15 and 10 minutes work later,and presto,working indicators.And a further 15 minutes after that,new anti-freeze.

Next........
Peugeot 406 queries - madf
" notice you can buy remote fobs off E.Bay,and was wondering how much they cost to have re-programmed,as opposed to buying a new one,and what about the actual key itself? How do you get around the problem of it not fitting your particular door?"

Do a search on GSF discussion forum..they cover reprogarmming of Xantia keys (same as Peugeot).

tinyurl.com/8uel9

madf