205 drum removal - ronnyb
Am I missing something here. I have tried to remove the rear brake drum on my 1991 Peugeot 205 but to no avail. I've taken off the 32mm locking nut and completely slackened off the handbrake cable. The drum is loose and rotates but refuses to come off. In the workshop manual it says to release the auto adjusting mechanism through one of the holes in the drum. I think I can see a sprung toothed adjuster through the hole and this moves towards the outside of the drum when I poke a screwdriver through. Any ideas?
205 drum removal - spikeyhead {p}
This happens on a lot of brake drums. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the 205.

If the drum rotates freely then the issue is that a lip has built up on the inside of the drum. Make sure that this is removed completely before utting the drum back on, either with a lot of filing or with an angle grinder.

It may be that you can get some further slack by playign with the auto adjuster, but I don't know how therse work on the 205.

Gentle amounts of brute force is the only effective way I've found once this has happenned.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
205 drum removal - dieselhead
The brake drum wont come off because the shoes sit against a wear ridge in the drum. Another problem is the inner bearing can be quite tight on the axle stub.

Turning the toothed adjuster should relax the shoes enough to allow the drum to move or a brake drum puller tool can be used.

These can be made from a piece of say 50x10 flat steel with holes drilled in to match locations of two wheel studs and the stub axle. A bolt is tightened against the stub axle - with wheel bolts in the other holes it should force the drum off easily.
205 drum removal - madf
A quick alternative which soemtimes works is to heat the drum with a blowlamp: evenly round the circumference. The expansion should make it easier to claer the lip (heatproof gloves needed of course)

madf

205 drum removal - hugh
Get a large soft faced hammer (copper - not a steel one - it will crack the drum!) and hit it down and out while gradually turning the drum - not subtle, but it usually works.