Ford Ka - smell on braking/manoeuvring - tyro
I have a Ford Ka, 2 years old, 12000 miles.

The other day, I drove 20 miles, and then had to do a multi-point turn to get into a tight parking spot. Up to that point, there had been no smell in the car, but as I braked, reversed, braked, went forward, etc, the cabin filled with an unpleasant rotten smell. A faint whiff remained when I got into the car half an hour later, but soon disipated.

Yesterday, I noticed the smell filling the cabin a couple of times: once when I braked hard, the other time when I braked hard and reversed. My wife described it as more like rotting turnip than rotten egg - but whatever it is, it is rotten!

It doesn't usually happen when I brake - only under hard braking. It doesn't happen on start-up, otherwise I'd suspect the catalytic converter. I can do a long run and never smell it. It does, however, seem to be something that has developped recently.

Spilled milk on the carpet has been suggested, but if that was the case, I'd expect the smell to be a constant companion
Ford Ka - smell on braking/manoeuvring - Dynamic Dave
Early signs of the clutch slipping maybe? They can smell pretty pungent and can linger around a while when the plates have been slipping.

Another thought is a binding brake. Park the car on a level surface, out of gear and handbrake off, and see if it's easy to push the car or not.
Ford Ka - smell on braking/manoeuvring - SjB {P}
Sounds (smells) to me suspiciously like exhaust fumes that have passed through a perfectly operational catalytic converter.

'Owt to worry about unless you have an exhaust leak that is helping the fumes enter the cabin.
Thanks for thoughts

SjB - seems reasonable, and I guess that's what I was assuming. However, that doesn't explain why I wasn't noticing the smell until recently - unless, as you say, there is a leak.

DD - I've tried pushing the car with the handbrake off, not in gear (with the engine off, btw!) and it seemed pretty normal.

If the clutch was slipping, are there any other signs I should notice?
update / postscript

Today drove 39 miles, not even a hint of a smell. That's how intermitent it is.
Ford Ka - smell on braking/manoeuvring - Peter D
What make of fuel have you filled up with recently. Pressure test the exhaust by putting you hand over the end of the exhaust. not long after start up to avoid the heat. and listen for any leaks you only get 2 or 3 seconds but an easy test. Regards Peter
Fuel is National (I think - our local petrol station doesn't actually display a sign!)

Pressure test on exhaust didn't seem to indicate any leaks.
Ford Ka - smell on braking/manoeuvring - Peter D
Well if it isn't leaking and the brakes are not rubbing then I would change fuel supplier for a fwe weeks and see if the problems sorts itself, a fuel station without a sign ???. Regards Peter
Thanks Peter.

You seem surprised at fuel stations without signs.

Well, I live in the Highlands. Things here are, er, different. And what is more, every petrol station within 40 miles sells the same stuff. And the Ka, being our 2nd car / local runabout, is very rarely over 40 miles from home.
Ford Ka - smell on braking/manoeuvring - Civic8
Surprised no one has mentioned wind direction.it may be when reversing you have caught the exhaust fumes,fumes can get into motor as they all have vents.as it is on the odd occasion it could well be that..Just a thought
--
Steve